Thoughts on Behringer Studio Monitors (2030 and others), active and passive - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 187 Old 04-27-10, 06:43 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Re: Thoughts on Behringer Studio Monitors (2030 and others), active and passive

Quote:
A9X wrote: View Post
Any comments would be appreciated from those who have heard/owned both the active and passive. Which is the better sounding and why? Which plays better loud, assuming a decent amp for the passive?
I'd base the decision on something else. If you drive these speakers with a really good amp . I don't think it will matter too much. Do add dampening.

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/images/panelvibes.gif

Blue is what a properly damped speaker looks like Red is what an undamped one looks like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 187 Old 05-04-10, 06:32 AM
Sam

Here are some more photos, i know the stands are not painted but i should get a chance this weekend. Finsih will just be a flat black.

Also A9X, i have a pair of 2030p's and 2031p's on order so i will be able to compair the 6 and 8 passive versions with the 8 active pair that i currently have, they are on order and not due for a few weeks but as soon as i get the chance i will compair the 3 and post my findings for you
post #33 of 187 Old 05-04-10, 10:34 AM
Senior Shackster

I'll be looking forward to ur impressions Sam, & thank you for posting the pics.

post #34 of 187 Old 05-04-10, 01:06 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
a1161979 wrote: View Post
Also A9X, i have a pair of 2030p's and 2031p's on order so i will be able to compair the 6 and 8 passive versions with the 8 active pair that i currently have, they are on order and not due for a few weeks but as soon as i get the chance i will compair the 3 and post my findings for you
Thanks, I'll look forward to it.
post #35 of 187 Old 05-06-10, 11:51 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Wow someone with more of these than me.
post #36 of 187 Old 05-07-10, 02:33 AM
Sam

Ha ha Ricci, no quite

The 6 Pair are for a friends 21st Bday, i thought they would make a nice gift for him and a real upgrade from an all in one plastic hifi system.

The 8 passives are for my living room, did not want to spend much money so i decided to take a chance, either way ill post my results as soon as i have the chance to listen.
post #37 of 187 Old 05-15-10, 06:48 PM
Shackster

Hi

First post here. I've been out of the game for a while and had to sell off some audio equipment a few years ago to help pay off my debts, but I'm a bit more solvent now and looking to get some decent equipment again.

I've been looking at the KRK Rokit Powered 5 G2s (250/pair) for home studio monitors and would be interested to know how people think they would compare to:

1) a pair of B2030Ps with a Cambridge Audio A1 V3 amp 190
2) a pair of B2030Ps with a SONY STRDH500 receiver 250
3) a pair of B2030As 260
4) a pair of B2031As 274

Cheers.
post #38 of 187 Old 05-17-10, 06:51 AM
Shackster

I should've included a pair of B2031Ps with either of the amps in 1) or 2) in that list for completeness.

Although, having done some more reading it seems these speakers aren't really flat/accurate enough for monitoring purposes and I might get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 passives instead.
post #39 of 187 Old 05-24-10, 10:01 AM
Sam

Ok time to post some quick impressions on the B2031A's against the B2030P's.

I have not had time to compair the 2030P's with the 2031P's but i will get around to some more detailed comparisions when i have built some decent stands.

First thing to note is they are very different speakers in terms of size and sound. (the B2030P and B2031A)

The 2030's have a 0.75 tweeter in a shallow wave guide, the 2031's have a larger 1 tweeter in a much larger and deeper wave guide. There is also a considerable difference in the physical size of the speakers. (Ill post up some detailed photos some time this week)

I have only compaired the passive 6's with the active 8's but the sound is very different. The passive 6's standout if the midrange when compaired with the larger 8's. The main difference being subtle details in acoustic recording which jumped out as a big point of difference. For example the slides of a guitar, there were times with the 6's where you could hear the finer details of different slides, while with the 8's a slide was just a slide at times. A/Bing between the two on a chapman stick album i have this did jump right out.

Now the largest point of difference is in the bass. I was not prepaired for how poor the bottom end on the B2030P really is, in my room there was simply no output bellow 100Hz. Now to be honest my room is fairly large and the speakers are 1 meter out from the back wall and 1 meter in from the sides so there is little boundry gain to be had. The B2031A's have no problem in the same position, even without the sub running they were musical and provided good output even on tracks with considerable low frequency information (such as Massive Attack Unfinished Sympathy). The B2030P's however were really lacking from 100hz down, even playing piano pieces there was a real lack of weight, very thin sounding. The B2031A's however did a much more convincing job with lower notes on a piano having more weight.

So i know what your all thinking which is duh you need a sub for the B2030P's, so i had a play with a few different subwoofer that i have around the place including the Behringer active studio sub (which is a truely shocking subwoofer) as well as some different DIY subwoofers. Maybe its just my ears but i could not get a sub to play cleanly high enough to take over from the monitors, with the B2030P's there was a gap so to speak from sub crossover (70ish Hz) up to about 100hz where the monitors start to get going. This could be a reflection of my subwoofers but it was still a disapointment never the less. Biggest shortcoming was faster kickdrum, i found it really hard to get the snap so to speak with the 2030P's and a subwoofer. The B2031A's crossovered to a sub at 60hz on the other hand was sounding great, not as much midrange detail or clarity but over all a much more rewarding and enjoyable sound.

I think its important to note that following this i decided to do some listening on a desk nearfield and the B2030P's performed much better, they just seemed to get lost in my living room system.

Interestingly i could not notice any real difference between the 1 and 0.75 tweeter.

Ill post much more detailed impressions when i play properly with the 2031P's but between the 2030P's and 2031A's the clear winner for me was the larger version, maybe not as clean in the mids but a warmer sound that sounded to my ears a little more balanced.
post #40 of 187 Old 05-24-10, 10:09 AM
Sam

Quote:
doveman wrote: View Post
I should've included a pair of B2031Ps with either of the amps in 1) or 2) in that list for completeness.

Although, having done some more reading it seems these speakers aren't really flat/accurate enough for monitoring purposes and I might get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 passives instead.
Funny you should say that but the response graph for the 2030P is ruller flat from 120Hz up to 20hz when on axis, id be very supprised if the Wharfedales were even close to the Behringers frequency response. Soundonsound mag reviewed the Behringers reasonalbe favourably. i would say that they are flat/accurate enough for monitoring purposes. Maybe not if your Hans Zimmer but its all relative...

For a desktop system where you get some gain from the desk the B2030P's are unbeatable for the money, if your more into hiphop or electronic music the larger B2031's are a smarter buy in my opinion. I have not listened to the B2031P's yet but if they perform like the active version i think they are a great speaker and you certainly get a lot for your money.