Thoughts on Behringer Studio Monitors (2030 and others), active and passive - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 187 Old 07-01-10, 11:26 AM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Re: Thoughts on Behringer Studio Monitors (2030 and others), active and passive

Yes indeed. Thanks to REW, Cross-Spectrum Labs, EMU, my measurement rig and my MacBook.

That's why I gave the link to Gedlee. Dr. Geddes also measured a small Behringer 2 way and they graphs look close to identical. So the odds of my measurements being off are very low.

IOW, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these to anyone.

The measurements in the beginning of this thread looked like they had room reflections not gated out. After seeing what Dr. Geddes measured, I had to do some myself. His statement about these speakers is also very telling. When he's impressed, there is good reason. I believe he measured the active versions, but I thought at first he said passive so I can't be sure. Either way, I'd bet they are great speakers.

Dan

Last edited by DanTheMan; 07-01-10 at 11:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 187 Old 07-01-10, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

Looks like we have a new budget fave.
post #63 of 187 Old 07-01-10, 01:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

I've been recommending these for years. A lot of people scoff at the price and the brand name or have some subjective comments to make about some deleterious defect in their sound compared to some other more expensive models, but the fact is the measurements speak for themselves. They are about as neutral as it gets in this price range. I just wish they had a slightly larger more powerful model with about 10db more headroom.

post #64 of 187 Old 07-01-10, 01:30 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

It should be anyway. Reading some of the subjective reviews of the speaker are all over the map. The data looks good. Some people describe muddy bass, but that's dominated by the room and placement. Other people have described a bright sound with tight bass. The dispersion is fairly wide on these and very early reflections could well be the problem here. Also, a prior speaker's colorations which a person has become accustomed to will influence their subjective review. The data looks good--well excellent actually and from different sources and data from a different speaker of either the same or a very similar model. The same drivers anyway. IOW, it looks hard to go wrong with these unless you need extreme output. Even then, many subjective reviews brag about how loud these things are capable of playing--"they can do house parties w/o failure". I certainly didn't want to test max output prior to destruction, but they play loud enough for me to enjoy. I doubt they could do house parties like a speaker designed for the purpose. Of course even "house party" can mean different things to different people.

They get my for my purpose and they should reasonably be a budget favorite.

Edit: Ricci posted while I was typing. I just wanted to add that I totally agree with you.

Dan
post #65 of 187 Old 07-01-10, 01:38 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

BTW, in the Impulse graphs, you'll see the height of the other speaker cause the first reflection to come later than in the Behringer one. I windowed both the same as to keep the comparison more similar.
post #66 of 187 Old 07-01-10, 06:30 PM
Senior Shackster

Does anyone know if it's possible to take the baffle section of the 2030 off so it could be re-mounted in another enclosure without cutting?
post #67 of 187 Old 07-01-10, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

I had assumed that's how people were getting into the enclosure to do the mods, but I haven't tried taking a hex-wrench to mine yet. (edit: make that a philips, according to the pics posted at behringer.com)
post #68 of 187 Old 07-01-10, 09:00 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Was there a link to these mods?
post #69 of 187 Old 07-01-10, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Linked in post 17, or right here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-mod-list.html
post #70 of 187 Old 07-02-10, 01:40 AM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Thanks Eugo. Those mods are interesting. I have to wonder if Behringer hasn't addressed these issues already. I really didn't see any issues in the measurements that could be ascribed to the faults those mods would fix. I also listened to the speaker at some pretty high volumes for a few hours. Nothing I could hear that sounded off.

Guess I wouldn't know until I tried or someone else does with pictures and graphs.

Dan