Thoughts on Behringer Studio Monitors (2030 and others), active and passive - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 187 Old 07-03-10, 08:17 AM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Re: Thoughts on Behringer Studio Monitors (2030 and others), active and passive

Quote:
Mika75 wrote: View Post
Yes it's possible, as shown here - Behringer Mod Assistance @ Audioholics forum

I believe all praise must be forwarded to WmAx, who is the originator of the said mods, he has also stated they would make very good inwall speakers because of this easy removal of the front baffle/waveguide.
He is mentioned in my PM and he is the guy who taught me how to brace and dampen speakers. If you see advice from me you can know that his knowledge along with TLSGuy are the primary sources of my DIY education.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 187 Old 07-04-10, 11:30 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Well, my 2031Ps came in. Wow! I do mean WOW! Just great speakers. For the money, these are insane. For double the price, these are like nothing I've heard and I go to HiFi shops every couple months. Even for triple the money I haven't found anything to compare. I hate saying things like this, but I can't lie and I want other to know that there are great, affordable speakers available. I only wish I had known about these sooner. Many experiments and hours reading/learning about loudspeakers led me to build some that I thought were great--and they are compared to many others. Had I heard these I wouldn't have built anything. I would have just enjoyed my music and movies. I think I want an active one for the center channel. Don't really know why other than the fact that they are so cheap and sound great. My next speakers will be some sort of monitor I'm sure, but it will be a while before I think more about speakers. It's funny, I listened to everything they had at Guitar Center and never heard their equal. I'm betting the room is at least part of the problem. In a room set up for sound, these won't disappoint any reasonable person. That much I'm sure of. For HT on a working man's budget, look no further unless you need a lot of output and have a lot of space in the HT. Then that probably means your not a working man.

Anyway, thanks to all in this thread. You really helped me find what I have been looking for.

Dan

OK, back to the burgers and beer.
post #83 of 187 Old 07-14-10, 03:21 AM
Sam

Quote:
A9X wrote: View Post
Any comments would be appreciated from those who have heard/owned both the active and passive. Which is the better sounding and why? Which plays better loud, assuming a decent amp for the passive?
Price locally is $A250/pr and $A439/pr passive and active respectively from a store just near work.
Wow a lot has been happening in here in the last few months.

I am organizing a listening day for a group of audio friends to compare the B2030P, 2031P and 2031A, ill be sure to post up photos and any Adelaide members here are welcome to attend too (just PM me)

I built some solid stands and we will use material that most are common with

Stay tuned guys, should be good fun to have a listening day to compare all 3 with a few different subwoofers thrown in too

post #84 of 187 Old 07-14-10, 10:47 AM
Senior Shackster
Dan

To show them at their best(the 2031), the tweeter should be at or slightly below ear level. Check out the vertical polar plots. Rotation the speaker toward the woofer from the on axis, the 11.25 degrees beneath and the 22.5 degrees beneath the woofer/tweeter center:

Vertical polars toward the tweeter from midway between the woofer/tweeter rotating in 11.25 degree steps to 45 degrees:

he sweet zone for this speaker would be to have them toed in roughly 45 degrees, give or take, and with the tweeter at the listener's ear height or slightly beneath it.

Just to recap the horizontal polars:

Hope that helps and repost back,

Dan
post #85 of 187 Old 07-14-10, 02:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Thanks for the measurements Dan.
post #86 of 187 Old 07-14-10, 11:20 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
DanTheMan wrote: View Post
Well, my 2031Ps came in. Wow! I do mean WOW! Just great speakers. For the money, these are insane. For double the price, these are like nothing I've heard and I go to HiFi shops every couple months. Even for triple the money I haven't found anything to compare. I hate saying things like this, but I can't lie and I want other to know that there are great, affordable speakers available.
I keep telling people this, but they never believe that a speaker this cheap can be this good. Buy you a sheet of rockwool and some grill cloth Remove the lining in there and put in the rockwool with 3m-77. The speakers will get even better.
post #87 of 187 Old 07-15-10, 02:03 AM
Senior Shackster
Dan

3M-77. I've got 2 pair of these. I'll modify one and post before and after graphs, but it will be a while.

Thanks,

Dan
post #88 of 187 Old 07-15-10, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
Buy you a sheet of rockwool and some grill cloth
What's the speaker cloth for, just to wrap around the rockwool to keep the fibers from getting loose? If so, a thin poly batting from a fabric store might be cheaper/easier to come by.
post #89 of 187 Old 07-16-10, 05:22 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
a1161979 wrote: View Post
I am organizing a listening day for a group of audio friends to compare the B2030P, 2031P and 2031A, ill be sure to post up photos and any Adelaide members here are welcome to attend too (just PM me)

Stay tuned guys, should be good fun to have a listening day to compare all 3 with a few different subwoofers thrown in too
If only I lived closer Sam, either way make sure to post relative comments from the day, I'm very interested

-and thank u for the measurements Dan !
post #90 of 187 Old 07-16-10, 11:29 AM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
eugovector wrote: View Post
What's the speaker cloth for, just to wrap around the rockwool to keep the fibers from getting loose? If so, a thin poly batting from a fabric store might be cheaper/easier to come by.
You can use burlap as well, I just prefer speaker grill cloth because it's got less acoustical properties than fabric normally does. It's also pretty cheap for me. You could also use fiberglass inplace of rockwool. You get less bass absorption, but it's still very effective.