Thoughts on Behringer Studio Monitors (2030 and others), active and passive - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 187 Old 12-12-09, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Thoughts on Behringer Studio Monitors (2030 and others), active and passive

Here's the dicussion so far, starting in PM. Thanks to lsiberian.

Quote:
lsiberian wrote:
Quote:
eugovector wrote:
Hi,

Do you have firsthand experience with the Behringer 2030 or similar? I'm toying around buying a set of their active monitors, and I've had great experience with their mixers, microphones, and other products, but have never used their speakers.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Marshall
You want to avoid the active monitors like the plague. Behringer is a hit or miss company. Either they have a great product or a lousy one.

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/o...offaxis_1M.gif
is the waterfall graph Wmax measured of them. He's a speaker mad scientist. He's the type that builds with concrete and oak.

You can see from the graph the off-axis response is lacking. Still the waterfall is insanely good for 130 dollar a pair speaker. I've not seen anything close to that on any other speaker in the price range. I realize folks around here aren't familiar with them, but from a speaker builder's viewpoint they are the best value at the price.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...bm170meas.html

Is the best home theater speaker pair I've seen under 300 measurement wise. You can see how close the behringer is.

This is the waterfall measurement of the B&W 802D gotten from stereophile. This is best commercial speaker I'm aware of.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 187 Old 12-12-09, 01:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Jerry

Re: Thoughts on Behringer Studio Monitors (2030 and others), active and passive

I generally don't have an issue with active monitors: but cannot say I've personal experience with the 2030A.

I second the recommendation that the Behringer 2030p is the best speaker available anywhere near its price range. I've heard that the 2031p is not nearly as good and believe this statement.
post #3 of 187 Old 12-12-09, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

So, I'm leaning towards trying to find an active speaker (simplicity's sake) for my office setup (5 identical for surround is my eventual goal). Mostly music/movie listening, but some mixing as well.

What is it about the active Behringers that should be avoided like the plague? Are the built in amps unreliable or inaccurate? What if the passive 2030 were paired with a Behringer A500 amp?

I'm looking at the KRK RockitG2 and M-Audio BX5a Deluxe as well. Any other budget active monitor suggestions (<$400/Pair)?

post #4 of 187 Old 12-12-09, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Quote:
JerryLove wrote: View Post
I've heard that the 2031p is not nearly as good and believe this statement.
I've heard that as well, that the 2031 has better lowend extension, but sacrifices accuracy across the spectrum for it. I have a sub that I will use for the low-end.
post #5 of 187 Old 12-12-09, 02:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
The Active Speakers that I wish were still made were Paradigms. They used to make an Active 20 and a Active 40. These were based on the Studio 20 and Studio 40. These Speakers have achieved cult like status with many pairs passing hands for more than they originally retailed for.

I have not listened to the active Behringer Model. Most of the Active Monitors I have listened to are fairly expensive by HT standards. One of my best friends uses Focal Professional SM-11's and Solo 6 Be's and they almost made me sell my Martin Logan rig. Then again the SM-11 go for 14 thousand Dollars. The Solo 6 Be's are actually nicely priced at 3000 a pair.
Cheers,
JJ
post #6 of 187 Old 12-12-09, 02:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Jerry

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
The Active Speakers that I wish were still made were Paradigms. They used to make an Active 20 and a Active 40. These were based on the Studio 20 and Studio 40. These Speakers have achieved cult like status with many pairs passing hands for more than they originally retailed for.
You could by a pair of amps and cut a hole in a passive 20 and attach the thing.

, you could program an active crossover and dual amp if you can find a source for one (I know they are out there). That should do a lot of good for the sound. While you are in there: add more bracing.

You are out of luck on a 40v5: I believe they stopped making them.
post #7 of 187 Old 12-12-09, 03:30 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Jerry, for sure you could go the DIY route, but the original versions sounded amazing. I owned 20's and 40's that I should have held on to. This was the Version 2 of Paradigm's Studio Reference Speakers circa 2001. They have not made Active Speakers since and they really were special.

I am not denying that someone cannot make their own quasi version, but Paradigm really did something magical with the Active 20 and 40.
Cheers,
JJ
post #8 of 187 Old 12-12-09, 04:55 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

The active versions are known to have defective amps. I'd avoid the active version for that reason.
post #9 of 187 Old 12-12-09, 05:06 PM
Senior Shackster

Jerry

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
The active versions are known to have defective amps. I'd avoid the active version for that reason.
I'm 90% sure this comment is about the behringers.
post #10 of 187 Old 12-12-09, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Yes, Behringers.

I've been scouring the web, and found a few mentions of blown fuses, the occasional non-working amp, but nothing that sounds chronic. If it's reliability, and not performance that is the issue, I may take my chances...though...

I've got a really good price on the KRKs lined up, so I'm torn between those and the passive 2030s with an A500. Oh well, I'm still a few months away from really needing them, so I'll sit tight for now, and let you all know what I end up with when the time comes.

Thanks,
Marshall