Polk Audio owners thread - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 113 Old 01-13-14, 02:21 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,264
Re: Polk Audio owners thread

Quote:
Viking wrote: View Post
I ran Audyssey but did not like the results, so I adjusted on my own, and yes, I can cover the basic manual setups.
No sweat; I set my receivers up manually/myself as well.
Osage_Winter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 113 Old 01-13-14, 02:23 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,264
Re: Polk Audio owners thread

Quote:
fokakis1 wrote: View Post
You said your sub is crossed at 80. I would be curious as to your impressions if you were to switch the A1s to the front and cross them at 80, esp. for music. It seems counterintuitive, but it may give you some new ideas.
I didn't see where he said he crossed his sub at 80, but if this is all in reference to that "LPF of LFE" setting so common on modern Onkyo AVRs/processors, this setting (for the sub) should always be set to 120Hz.
Osage_Winter is offline  
post #93 of 113 Old 01-13-14, 02:35 PM
Senior Shackster
 
fokakis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 178
My System
Quote:
Osage_Winter wrote: View Post

VERY nice, fok! Thanks!

What are those towers you're running there? Which Polks?
RTi A9s.

Control4 Automation Programmer
fokakis1 is offline  
 
post #94 of 113 Old 01-13-14, 02:40 PM
Senior Shackster
 
fokakis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 178
My System
Quote:
Viking wrote: View Post
Now I have an Onkyo TX-NR828, and I still think it will be a perfect fit. The powered sub is crossed over at 80Hz...
He did not, however, mention what any of his high pass settings were.

Control4 Automation Programmer
fokakis1 is offline  
post #95 of 113 Old 01-13-14, 03:12 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,264
Re: Polk Audio owners thread

Quote:
fokakis1 wrote: View Post
RTi A9s.
Oh, okay...I'm running the predecessor to those, the RTi12s...

Why did you feel a need to upgrade the A9s?
Osage_Winter is offline  
post #96 of 113 Old 01-13-14, 03:15 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,264
Re: Polk Audio owners thread

Quote:
fokakis1 wrote: View Post
He did not, however, mention what any of his high pass settings were.
If his sub is connected via the LFE output of the receiver, this will internally defeat his sub's crossover knob (the AVR will be controlling it) but he should still leave that knob turned all the way up or on BYPASS if available just to make sure it's completely out of the path -- inside the receiver, he needs to adjust for the front, center and surround channel crossovers and under the SUB's LOW PASS FILTER setting in the AVR (Onkyo calls this "LPF of LFE" but it shouldn't even be an option to be honest with you) this setting should be 120Hz because the LFE channel of film soundtracks brickwalls at this frequency. By setting this to 120Hz, a sub is receiving all the low frequency effects information without, so to speak, "losing" any...
Osage_Winter is offline  
post #97 of 113 Old 01-13-14, 04:27 PM
Shackster
 
Viking's Avatar
Viking
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Posts: 27
Re: Polk Audio owners thread

Quote:
Osage_Winter wrote: View Post
I didn't see where he said he crossed his sub at 80, but if this is all in reference to that "LPF of LFE" setting so common on modern Onkyo AVRs/processors, this setting (for the sub) should always be set to 120Hz.
Yeah, the sub is crossed at 80, due to the LFE setting requirement. I will change that to 120 the next time I turn the receiver on (in about a half hour, lol) And you have me thanking you once again...

WHAT? Me Worry?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Viking is offline  
post #98 of 113 Old 01-13-14, 04:28 PM
Shackster
 
Viking's Avatar
Viking
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Posts: 27
Re: Polk Audio owners thread

Quote:
fokakis1 wrote: View Post
He did not, however, mention what any of his high pass settings were.
If I understand this correctly, then they are all set at 80.

WHAT? Me Worry?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Viking is offline  
post #99 of 113 Old 01-13-14, 04:33 PM
Shackster
 
Viking's Avatar
Viking
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Posts: 27
Re: Polk Audio owners thread

Quote:
Osage_Winter wrote: View Post
If his sub is connected via the LFE output of the receiver, this will internally defeat his sub's crossover knob (the AVR will be controlling it) but he should still leave that knob turned all the way up or on BYPASS if available just to make sure it's completely out of the path -- inside the receiver, he needs to adjust for the front, center and surround channel crossovers and under the SUB's LOW PASS FILTER setting in the AVR (Onkyo calls this "LPF of LFE" but it shouldn't even be an option to be honest with you) this setting should be 120Hz because the LFE channel of film soundtracks brickwalls at this frequency. By setting this to 120Hz, a sub is receiving all the low frequency effects information without, so to speak, "losing" any...
Okay, then. Well, the crossover knob is all the way up, and the AVR is controlling the crossover. The AVR crossover settings for all speakers is at 80 HZ, but I will change the sub to 120 HZ. Should I leave the rest at 80? allowing an overlap? or should I cross them all over at 120? I think prior to doing this, I shall run the Audyssey again and see where it leaves them. That sound like a plan?

WHAT? Me Worry?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Viking is offline  
post #100 of 113 Old 01-13-14, 04:50 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,264
Re: Polk Audio owners thread

Quote:
Viking wrote: View Post
Okay, then. Well, the crossover knob is all the way up, and the AVR is controlling the crossover. The AVR crossover settings for all speakers is at 80 HZ, but I will change the sub to 120 HZ. Should I leave the rest at 80? allowing an overlap? or should I cross them all over at 120? I think prior to doing this, I shall run the Audyssey again and see where it leaves them. That sound like a plan?
Hello Viking, and glad I could be of help once more...

The 80Hz number, while not a "magical" setting of any kind, is a "safe bet" THX recommendation for most speakers -- however, if you have very large tower mains as I do (Polk RTi12s) it's generally recommended to run them a bit lower to get some more punch out of them (such as 60Hz). So, if your two mains (or surrounds even) are large floorstanding towers, you can set those to 60; otherwise, 80 from what I understand is a good point to leave other speakers at (I leave my center and surrounds to 80).

Definitely leave the "LPF of LFE" set to 120Hz -- this way your sub won't lose any information from the soundtracks being played. As for Audyssey, these results are always "off" when most people look at them after the system runs the tests because it's not the Audyssey algorithm controlling these or deciding them -- it's actually the AVR based on feedback from the Audyssey sweeps. These are generally wrong (those most fanatics will say leave the Audyssey settings because they're based on actual ROOM corrections) as most of the time the results will come back as full range for at least two of the channels -- these can be overridden in the AVR's menu though.

Here's what I suggest, generally: If your mains are kinda large and can really punch (like my RTi12s) then set these to 60Hz regardless of what Audyssey comes back with. The rest leave at 80 IMO, unless you're running full size towers in the BACK too...

Did that make any sense?
Osage_Winter is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
audio , owners , polk , thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome