Polk Audio owners thread - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 113 Old 02-27-13, 03:20 PM
Senior Shackster

Brock

Re: Polk Audio owners thread

For now the marantz should hold its own for the speakers, its 1/2 of the recommended power for the A9's, but still enough to sound good.

However you should look into more power at some point. To make all 6 drivers really sing, more power would benefit it. I know when I had it just single amp powered with the bridges on the plugs, it sounded fine. But after I Bi-Amped it, they sounded better than before.

1x Onkyo TX-SR876(Receiver)
1x Panasonic TH46PZ80U (TV)
1x Polk Audio CSi5 (Center Speaker)
2x Polk Audio RTi12 (Tower Speakers)
2x Polk Audio Rti6 (Surround Speakers)
1x SVS PC-13 Ultra (Subwoofer)
XBox One with 5tB External HDD
Sony Playstation2, Nintendo Gamecube, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo N64, Sega Dreamcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 113 Old 02-28-13, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Shimey wrote: View Post
Well figured I'd come and join the Polk Owner Thread...Since I picked up mine when they were on clearance/sale and I'm a happy camper.

Front: Rti 8
Center: Csi 3
Surrounds: Fxi A4
Sub: eD A3-300
Reciever: Onk 705

To me this setup sounds and works amazing for games and movies..It was an amazing investmet
I love my Rti8's and Csi3. Blend wonderfully with my CHT-10 !!
post #73 of 113 Old 03-01-13, 09:40 AM
Senior Shackster
koyaan

My System

Quote:
the_rookie wrote: View Post
For now the marantz should hold its own for the speakers, its 1/2 of the recommended power for the A9's, but still enough to sound good.

However you should look into more power at some point. To make all 6 drivers really sing, more power would benefit it. I know when I had it just single amp powered with the bridges on the plugs, it sounded fine. But after I Bi-Amped it, they sounded better than before.
I agree that most large Polk speakers sound better with more power. I've been using an Outlaw 770 amp (the forerunner of the 7700 currently available) and have been very pleased with the combination.

post #74 of 113 Old 03-02-13, 08:59 AM
Shackster

well i was expecting delivery yesterday but it seems Monday is when they get here, on a pallett..I'll have to try and find some help as i understand they're beasts....and I'm an old fart..hoping i'll be satisfied for awhile with the a9's biamped, but knowing how things are,and advise given by some of you, I'll probably end up with a xpa2 shortly.
post #75 of 113 Old 03-05-13, 09:01 AM
Shackster

finally got the rti a9's center and surrounds to go with them. Unboxing wasn't fun,they are large and heavy speakers. I was amazing at the price point how good they looked in cherry. Right from the start they have way more detail than the b&w 600's. I'm hearing things on tracks that just wasn't audible before. The vocals are outstanding, almost live sounding. Very subtle sounds on tracks in matrix, avengers, green lantern make listening a pleasure. I have to do more playing around with placement to get an idea of soundstage on direct stereo mode, but I'm quite pleased from the start and hopefully they'll only get better with time..have to crank them more than the b&w's and may end up with a emotiva but for now its all good.
post #76 of 113 Old 03-06-13, 03:33 PM
Shackster
Allan

My System

Fellow Polkster here.
I have RTIa9's
CSIa6
and monitor 40's doing the surround and rear thing.
I currently have a Denon 987 and since I am running 7.1 system, I am not bi-amping the rtia9's
I think I am going to upgrade to the Denon 4520ci, then bi-amp them. I guess from what I have read that should make them sing. I am not complaining about them now though, they do sound great, and since I have a HSU VFT2-MK4 I am not losing any low end. Eventually I want to get FXIa6's for the surrounds and rtia3's for the rears.
Like I said, I have had polks for a while and have alweays loved the sound they put out. I just got the new center and Front's recently and the upgrade has been outstanding. I had m20's for my front and a cs1 for the center before.

Go Polk!
post #77 of 113 Old 03-07-13, 06:52 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
I'm glad you like your a9's. I auditioned many speakers before deciding and I have been pleased. Integrating them with subs was a bit tricky, so I would recommend using REW to fine tune if you haven't already. I tried bi-amping with my reciever just for kicks and didn't notice any improvements at any volume level. However, after adding an XPA-3 I did notice some improvement; not just from the front channels, but from the surround channels as well.

Control4 Automation Programmer
post #78 of 113 Old 04-11-13, 12:47 PM
Shackster
Stan

Audioholics has a review up on the LSiM703's for those interested. I find the review accurate compared to my opinion of the speakers.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...-audio-lsim703
post #79 of 113 Old 01-12-14, 12:04 PM
Shackster

Viking

I do not have the huge woofers in my Polks that most of you do.

I have Four Monitor 70 series ii floor standing for the corners (not right in the corners, but standing out from)
- two RTi A1 bookshelf for the surrounds set head height or a tad higher.
- one CS2 series ii center and
- a PSW 505 sub.

Room is about 600 sq feet, close to square, but with some wall deviations, and is all finished surface over concrete. I am contemplating another layer of drywall right over the installed stuff, but am unsure if it would make any difference.

I got these when I still had a NAD 753 to power them, and they were about a perfect fit.

Now I have an Onkyo TX-NR828, and I still think it will be a perfect fit. The powered sub is crossed over at 80Hz and seems to keep up pretty good at only about mid volume, and it was no trouble at all to reference these at 75db (yeah, I know, 85 is better) but I had to turn the receiver up a bit to do it. It was easier with the NAD. I still need my receiver volume up about 70 out of a max number of 90 to really enjoy and become immersed in movies, but I just discovered the answer to that (because I now have an Onkyo - and my thinking has been flawed by the commercial market). For music, I can turn it way down around 40 and still get pretty much everything I think I am supposed to. Sound is pretty clear and crisp, including lows and bass.

I think that's about all there is to say. Comments or suggestions are always welcome, as although I can set my system up okay, I do not know a whole lot about why I do some of the things that I am instructed to do,

WHAT? Me Worry?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Viking; 01-12-14 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Learned some new stuff
post #80 of 113 Old 01-12-14, 03:49 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Viking, do you have a specific question? It sounds like you covered the basic manual setup. Did you run Audyssey? Are you hearing any distortion during heavy movie passages?