B&W or Paradigm choice - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 33 Old 05-20-06, 06:10 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: <b><b>B&W or Paradigm choice</b></b>

You must have a sizable computer desk. My primus 150's barely fit atop my desk. They tend to hange a few inches over on the sides.

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 05-20-06, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mike

Re: B&W or Paradigm choice

im buying a new table, its gonna be L shaped, 2m length per side and 700mm depth

im not sure the 602 will fit, but im sure the 601 will.
well, the studio series have the same footprint as the 602
post #13 of 33 Old 05-24-06, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mike

went to look at the studio series but only saw the studio60. it doesn't score as high on the aesthetics scale as B&W and KEF though ...

btw, my dealer is selling me a NEW stock OLD model KEF Q1 (replaced by the iQ series) for only 300USD, B&W 602 is 500USD, Studio 20 is about 700-800USD

you think I should jump on that?

post #14 of 33 Old 05-24-06, 11:20 AM
Senior Shackster
Greg

B&W and Paradigm have great quality speakers in every catagory they compete in. Some manufacturers have great high end speakers, but their low end is lacking. All the way up and down the line, these B&W and Paradigm know what they are doing. Both of these companies put a lot of money into R&D. I think with B&W, you may pay for the name, but you also have the economies of scale advantage, and also technology trickle down, which may equal out the increased pricing for the name.

Of course the choice should be what you like, but I prefer B&W to Paradigm.
post #15 of 33 Old 05-24-06, 11:37 AM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
mike c wrote:
went to look at the studio series but only saw the studio60. it doesn't score as high on the aesthetics scale as B&W and KEF though ...

btw, my dealer is selling me a NEW stock OLD model KEF Q1 (replaced by the iQ series) for only 300USD, B&W 602 is 500USD, Studio 20 is about 700-800USD

you think I should jump on that?

Even as a Paradigm owner, I have to saw the B&W's look better. Of course, I liked the Paradigm sound better..

I'm not sure about the deal on the KEF speakers. A quick search on the net found them for $359, so it sounds like a good deal. However, how do they sound? Kef is defintiely one of the brands I should have a listen to..

JCD
post #16 of 33 Old 05-24-06, 03:00 PM
Senior Shackster

As far as auditioning goes, I am glad I settled for what initially engaged me the most. From this point I didn't find the need to audition any other speakers. It makes speaker selection a lot less complicated considering how many possibilities are out there at almost every pricerange nowadays. Possibilities are endless...If you go either B&W or Paradigm and you find that once you get them home they're not what you've expected there is always the option to sell them for minimal loss.

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #17 of 33 Old 05-25-06, 10:46 AM
Senior Shackster
Greg

Quote:
Exocer wrote:
It makes speaker selection a lot less complicated considering how many possibilities are out there at almost every pricerange nowadays. Possibilities are endless...
Good point. I kinda got obssessed when I go speaker shopping. It can really get overwhelming.
post #18 of 33 Old 05-25-06, 05:10 PM
Senior Shackster
Russell

Quote:
mike c wrote:
I have an incredible itch to buy something audio ...

Im not even sure where I'm gonna use it but probable locations are right beside a CRT tv or as computer speakers (but with LCD monitor).

I was ready to buy the B&W 602 Series 3 bookshelves - enough to buy it solely based on looks. (although I have listened to it and it sounds great to me)

I would then like to ask if anyone has compared the above speaker to a Paradigm Monitor 5 (same price) and/or a Paradigm Studio 20 (same specs but higher price)

which in your opinions sound better?

I cant demo both at the same place or time (and my acoustic memory is about 20 seconds)
As it seems to have been ignored, what exactly are you going to be driving these speakers with? This will have a bearing on the recommendations for what may be suitable. It's all very well canvassing opinion, but without knowing the source components and amp, people may as well flip a coin.

Russell
post #19 of 33 Old 05-25-06, 05:25 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
russ.will wrote:
As it seems to have been ignored, what exactly are you going to be driving these speakers with? This will have a bearing on the recommendations for what may be suitable. It's all very well canvassing opinion, but without knowing the source components and amp, people may as well flip a coin.

Russell
Russell makes a good point.. I think I was getting this thread confused with another one.

Kind of a rule of thumb I have is that I'd spend 65-70% of by overall HT budget on the speakers, then the rest on the electronics. So what you're driving these with may sway my opinion a bit. For example of you've got some MacIntosh two channel tube amp (mondo expensive) i'd be looking at better speakers than the one's you're currently looking at. The opposite is not quite as true -- at least for me. Unless your source is total junk, I think getting better speakers, even up to the Studio 20's, would be worthwhile. All things being equal, better speakers almost always lead to better sound.

I know not everyone will have that same opinion, but I'll stand by it anyway.

JCD
post #20 of 33 Old 05-25-06, 05:33 PM
Senior Shackster
Russell

Quote:
JCD wrote:
Russell makes a good point.. I think I was getting this thread confused with another one.

Kind of a rule of thumb I have is that I'd spend 65-70% of by overall HT budget on the speakers, then the rest on the electronics. So what you're driving these with may sway my opinion a bit. For example of you've got some MacIntosh two channel tube amp (mondo expensive) i'd be looking at better speakers than the one's you're currently looking at. The opposite is not quite as true -- at least for me. Unless your source is total junk, I think getting better speakers, even up to the Studio 20's, would be worthwhile. All things being equal, better speakers almost always lead to better sound.

I know not everyone will have that same opinion, but I'll stand by it anyway.

JCD
Ah, but going back to hat old rule of thumb, the speakers can't give out anything the prior audio chain doesn't deliver - $200 speakers will sound like a $30 amp if that's all that's driving them (unless it's a T-amp). In this case, unless I've read it wrong we're talking about a pair of stereo speakers only.

Russell