B&W or Paradigm choice - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 33 Old 05-25-06, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mike

Re: B&W or Paradigm choice

HK3480 stereo receiver if I suddenly decide to be cheap. (might add an amp in the future)

if I get more budget:

if B&W or KEF
Rotel RC1070, RT 1080, RB1070/1080 if Paradigm
Anthem TLP-1, PVA2/MCA20

if I go crazy
Parasound P3, T3, A21/A23

I realize all these are way over what the speakers can do, but I'm trying to future proof these things either by buying cheap or by buying all the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 05-25-06, 06:57 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

My opinon -- any of the choices you made would do fine with the speakers you're looking at. Naturally, the further up the food chain you go, the better the ultimate sound; but the dimishing returns is steepest, imo, with the electronics, hence my rule of thumb of 65/35 or 70/30.

So, lets say you go crazy and drop the big one with one of the Parasounds (I love the way those things look) -- what speaker would you think you'd be going with?

JCD
post #23 of 33 Old 05-25-06, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mike

I think I'm leaning towards B&W (the studios are too much money for too little eye candy)
i'm only considering the KEFs because they're cheap

my wishlist btw:

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...t/wish%20list/

Last edited by mike c; 05-25-06 at 07:33 PM.

post #24 of 33 Old 05-26-06, 11:24 AM
Senior Shackster
Greg

Quote:
JCD wrote:
Naturally, the further up the food chain you go, the better the ultimate sound; but the dimishing returns is steepest, imo, with the electronics,
I completely agree with this. It is true, that you won't squeeze every ounce of performance out of good speakers with average electronics, but you will get most of the way there. Everytime I have upgraded my speakers, I heard big gains in performance. Upgraded electronics showed improvements, but not as dramatic.
post #25 of 33 Old 05-26-06, 12:21 PM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

IMHO I think one would want to upgrade electronics to the point of getting approx 200 W rms minimum to the left/right mains and maybe also the center channel. With decent damping factor (>100), low distortion <0.25% and low noise > 90 dB down and easily capable of driving 4 ohm loads. This is only achieveable with solid state amps. Given the above I'll bet you can drive most high end speakers very well. To get there most would have to add a power amp (or three) to their AVR if they are using one (even a flagship).

If you like the tube sound (soft clipping) and are using tube amps then you need extremely high efficient speakers with > 95 dB SPL sensitivity for even normal music volume levels without actually hitting those clipping points. These high efficiency SPL type of home hi fi speakers were more common before 1985. True high power tube amps with > 120 watts are very rare. Most go from 25 to 100 watts. That said I have very fond memories of the sound of my 30 Watt per channel Scott stereo amp that I used in the early 70s.

BTW FET's used in the output stage of a power amp have soft clipping just like tubes The tube amp's output transformer is a limiting factor for frequency response, distortion and damping. Even the very best implementations are compromises as compared to a transformerless design.

Bob
post #26 of 33 Old 06-05-06, 12:11 AM
jbarcelona4
Inactive

I have the paradigm 100's, and I like them, but if I had to do it again, I would get the room right first. I have heard these speakers with the same amp and rec. I have, and they sounded better where I purchased due to the room. I put the cart before the horse, but I am trying to do the room now. This forum has been a help and pleasure.
Thanks,
Joe
post #27 of 33 Old 06-05-06, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

mike

I don't know if I posted my KEF choice here but that option's gone down the tubes ... the cheap KEF Q1 is only available in maple.

I'm choosing between getting a new subwoofer or spending the little money I have for a pair of speakers.
post #28 of 33 Old 06-07-06, 07:16 PM
Bob

Send a message via AIM to khellandros66 Send a message via MSN to khellandros66

IMO the Paradigm Studio 40 v.3 the matching center and rears with a Velodyne DD-15 or a DIY Sub with dual SS RP-L 15in and Berhinger EP1500. Would be the superior choice.

~Bob
post #29 of 33 Old 06-20-06, 07:37 AM
elmac
Inactive

Quote:
khellandros66 wrote:
IMO the Paradigm Studio 40 v.3 the matching center and rears with a Velodyne DD-15 or a DIY Sub with dual SS RP-L 15in and Berhinger EP1500. Would be the superior choice.

~Bob
I think you just put Mike over budget with Studio 40's
post #30 of 33 Old 06-20-06, 07:54 AM
elmac
Inactive

Quote:
mike c wrote:
I have an incredible itch to buy something audio ...

Im not even sure where I'm gonna use it but probable locations are right beside a CRT tv or as computer speakers (but with LCD monitor).

I was ready to buy the B&W 602 Series 3 bookshelves - enough to buy it solely based on looks. (although I have listened to it and it sounds great to me)

I would then like to ask if anyone has compared the above speaker to a Paradigm Monitor 5 (same price) and/or a Paradigm Studio 20 (same specs but higher price)

which in your opinions sound better?

I cant demo both at the same place or time (and my acoustic memory is about 20 seconds)
Mike,
I found sound stage of studio 20's is higher than 600
monitor series from paradigm would at the same level as 600.
B&W is more lade back, while Paridigm is more up front
It always comes down to what do you like