Home Theater 5.1 help appreciated - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 14 Old 03-26-07, 12:06 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Re: Home Theater 5.1 help appreciated

Quote:
jinjuku wrote: View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I am used to the 70/30 rule when it comes to music speakers (Hence my low ish' Denon AVR-85 with my PSB Century 500i's and matching sub).

The only problem with dumping the receiver is I loose HDMI and a really nice video scaling unit that the Pioneer has: Faroudja DCDi HD. This will take any video input source and knock it over to HDMI, and it does multi room which is part of the plan. I think I can get another $300 out of the budget for speakers (budgets were meant to be broken).

I have heard nothing but great things about the BIC H100 sub btw. It is under $300.

The room is going to be acoustically treated and tuned. The Pioneer comes with a mic and I have access to a high end Berhinger EQ and Crown Mic if need be. I will definitely take your advice and check out the other sub-forum...

We are doing this in Akron, Oh. Sooo I am going to go out to Youngstown and get a pair of the SCS-01's (since they let you try them for 45 days), Also BIC is actually on the way to Youngstown, I will see if I can't get them to do the same with the HT-75's. I will let you know if BIC stands behind their product like the competition does.

Now, if I talk him out of the theater seating with rumble.... That would free up a ton of cash
  • Gotcha on the receiver. How many sources are you going to be using with this receiver?
  • Although I haven't heard it, I'm sure the BIC sub is a fine unit -- however, if he's going for the visceral impact (and I'm assuming the answer is yes since he's going with the rumble seating), I think he'll want a bigger sub whether it's from BIC or someone else.
  • I'm glad he's looking into treating the room --- that's a huge part of the overall system in my opinion.

I probably should have said this in my original post, but my office has the projector you're using. It gives a great picture. I haven't tried watching an HD/Blu Ray DVD on it yet, but HDTV (such as it is) looks prety good to me.

Also, I've listened to the little sub at AV123. It's surprising good for only $200. It's one of those where you could try one, see how it works and buy a second as funds permit to get some more output. Since I haven't heard the BIC unit, I couldn't tell you which one I'd prefer.

JCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 03-26-07, 11:04 PM
Senior Shackster

Steve

Since you've already looked at Hsu subs did you look at the speaker packages they offer now? Their new bookshelf speakers are getting excellent reviews. This is the lower end ($999.00) set they are offering :
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/enthusiast1.html

I didn't do the math to see pricing on all of the other sets suggested above but this seems to be real good bang for the buck.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-28-07, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned!
jinjuku

Quote:
JCD wrote: View Post
  • Gotcha on the receiver. How many sources are you going to be using with this receiver?
  • Although I haven't heard it, I'm sure the BIC sub is a fine unit -- however, if he's going for the visceral impact (and I'm assuming the answer is yes since he's going with the rumble seating), I think he'll want a bigger sub whether it's from BIC or someone else.
  • I'm glad he's looking into treating the room --- that's a huge part of the overall system in my opinion.

I probably should have said this in my original post, but my office has the projector you're using. It gives a great picture. I haven't tried watching an HD/Blu Ray DVD on it yet, but HDTV (such as it is) looks prety good to me.

Also, I've listened to the little sub at AV123. It's surprising good for only $200. It's one of those where you could try one, see how it works and buy a second as funds permit to get some more output. Since I haven't heard the BIC unit, I couldn't tell you which one I'd prefer.

JCD
There are two HDMI sources right now: PS3 for Blu-Ray and an HTPC with HDMI via a Radeon card (Fanless 1650). Thing is quiet I was on Audioholics and found that there will be review of the BIC H100 in the next week or so. For the price these are at, we could pick up two of them. They are going to also review the budget sub from AV123.

Speaking of possible dual subs, how do you hook a 2nd sub up?

Thanks for the insight on the HD70. Sounds like a terrific projector. I have also decided to go with Screen GOO instead of a $600-700 fixed screen. More money for speakers.

post #14 of 14 Old 03-29-07, 04:44 PM
echomalinois
Inactive

The H100 is a good budget sub, there is not doubt about that. But even 2 of them will not give you much our any output under 25hz. I had this sub for about 6 months and for the price you can not go wrong. I have since gone to another sub that gives strong output in to the upper teens and what a difference that makes in movie watching. If it were me I would spend the $550 that the two would cost and get one better sub in that price range. But if the room is huge, you may be better off with 2 lower end subs.

Both AV123 and Ascend make very good speakers, you can’t go wrong with either of those choices. I have X-Series speakers and they do a great job with movies and music. Unfortunately I have not heard the Ascends.