Axiom Epic 80 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 65 Old 06-26-13, 12:25 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System
Any reports on the Axiom M100? Did they use some of the R&D they used on the Bryston model T, 3 woofers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 65 Old 08-15-13, 11:31 AM
Shackster
doreytp

Re: Axiom Epic 80 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread

Yeh it's out now
was tempting to upgrade, but stuck with my M80's there quite sufficient for me
post #23 of 65 Old 08-15-13, 11:45 AM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System

Axiom's are either loved or hated. I'm using the M80's 3 for my home theater so far so good. I think their new price of the M100 better be something special for there is quite a bit of competition at that price point.

post #24 of 65 Old 08-16-13, 09:14 AM
Banned!
Chad

My System

No reason for the M100s really. I think its mostly to utilize extra cabinets from the LFR minus the back panel slant, bingo new model thats not really needed in the lineup. Using a subwoofer the M100s are pointless compared to M80s as they won't offer any more output or resolution in the midrange and treble. Its just extra midbass capabilities.

I think it would have been better to design a new true midrange driver for the towers instead of utilizing a woofer as a midrange that begins to break up too early in the upper midrange lower treble.

Its just an expensive model that IMO makes no sense other than it probably helps get rid of some of the excess LFR cabinets that maybe the back panel didn't come out right.
post #25 of 65 Old 09-07-13, 12:23 AM

Speculation is a values human ability. It is most often useful when it proceeds from empirical knowledge. On the other hand, speculation devoid of data . . . To suggest that the M100 was made because Axiom had an overrun of LFR boxes is complete speculation. It's hard to understand at gives people the right, without a scintilla of evidence beyond their own say-so.

I owned Axiom M80s and now own M100s and think that I am more qualified to discuss the difference between the two speakers. I very much liked the M80s however, I have a large living/dining room area and wanted a pair of speakers that would fill the room - I like my music LOUD. When I read about the M100, I learned that it would carry a redesigned 6.5 inch high power woofer and a redesigned crossover. I have listened to the M100s for three weeks and think that I am qualified to say that this is a different speaker to the M80. There is that Axiom neutrality in delivery, there is the articulation of women's and men's singing voices, there is also an ruthless revelation of bad recordings (an Amy Winehouse album comes to mind - just horrid). There is the slight difficulty in placing the speakers which when accomplished s rewarded by a lush clarity, a wide and high soundstage with very good but not excellent imaging. Pianos sound as if they are in the room ( a must for me because if I was going to ever play an instrument it would e the piano) but finally, it is the bass that comes together - far, far deeper than the M80. I have added a DSPeaker Anti-Mode to my system. The Anti-Mode has capitalized on the native abilities of the speakers to pull the bass range into a - "where did tat come from" sort of bass. While the treble and mids meld into the soundstage, the bass (depending on the recording) appears not to be coming from the speakers themselves, the speakers disappear! At one point, during the first week that I had them, I tried several tests. While listening to an orchestral choir, I cupped my hands over my mouth a tried to mimic their sound, was the sound from the speakers like the muffled sound that you get by putting hands over your mouth - no, there was a clarity there with the voices. I find that the Anti-Mode is much more musical than the MDAC that was my only DAC until now. It allows pianos and women's voices to ring and the speakers play along with that. Playing Santana Abraxas, the bass notes had me up on m feet dancing in the living room - there is a power there that I have never experience in bass drivers in floor-standing speakers - very, very powerful but capable of great subtlety as in the bass note in the Mission or in Bach's Mass in B Minor. But, as I said, the same drivers are capable of very scary evils of depth in Massive Attack's Collected - now that's a test for bass handling. I said that I'd used test disks, I did use the Sheffield Drum Test and the much longer Sheffield test album(iTunes has them). I found that the drum test (got to get beyond the dated music) was handled by the speakers with incredible speed, I thought faster than the M80s but not by much. I also thought that the image placement on the onager disk was fare more accurate than the M80 - my wife agreed with that. Not much else to say except that if you are ever in r near Guelph, PM me and come on over for a lulled of hours listening. After you have listened, than be as critical as you like.

People are right about Axiom, they are either hated or loved. The constant criticism is of Axioms being too bright. Last week, I spoke to a hifi shop salesman about the Axiom M100. I've never heard them, but I've never heard an Axiom that I did like he said. So I asked, what didn't you like about them. Oh says the salesman, they are dull, dull, dull! Hmm, got me thinking now, trying to reconcile "overly bright" and "ear bleedingly bright" with "dull, dull, dull". Just so long as Axiom keeps on being the subject of wild extremes of thought, they are probably the right musical solution for me.
post #26 of 65 Old 09-07-13, 12:59 AM
Banned!

Are they still using a 25 dollar tweeter in there speakers ? Maybe that has something to do with the bright comments
post #27 of 65 Old 09-07-13, 07:41 PM
Banned!
Chad

My System

Quote:
Biggarthomas wrote: View Post
I owned Axiom M80s and now own M100s and think that I am more qualified to discuss the difference between the two speakers.
I've owned Axiom speakers too and have done direct side by side comparisons and I always felt I was qualified to discuss the differences in each speaker pros and cons. The Axiom fans thought other wise. There is no discussion unless of course it revolves around how awesome Axioms are. Some of those Axiom fans haven't even owned any modern speakers in the last 20 yrs other than Axioms but yet they feel they have the right to say how Axioms are similarily good compared to the competition.

They also feel they have the right to tell me i'm wrong in my assessments. Axiom, HSU, Aperion, Paradigm, Arx, Boston and several others all in the same room at the same time. The Axiom fans have never given any other brands the time of day just due to pure blinded brand loyalty. Talk about quality crossovers and they resort to suggesting that you believe in voodoo snakeoil marketing like gold plated speaker wire. Talk about wanting quality cast drivers with proper venting and they resort to calling names.

I remember suggesting Axiom develop new drivers and was vilified for it and was told there is NO need for improved, better, different drivers. Now the new 6.5" comes out and they changed there tune on those. Don't know what happened there??? Didn't know they needed a improved 6.5"

The only benefit of the M100 over the M80 and Ian even stated on his forum is the slight increase in bass extension and increased output in that same region.

Oh and the LFR and the M100 are the exact same dimensions. 47.5" x 9.25" x 17" Its economics and makes sense from a business stand point.

Last edited by gtpsuper24; 09-07-13 at 07:50 PM.
post #28 of 65 Old 09-07-13, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System
Agreed, I own Axiom M80s and LFR1100s as well as SVS Ultra series and Definitive Technology and all have their strengths and weaknesses. I can appreciate everyone's passion for the Axiom brand as I am a huge fan myself, but suggesting that someone is unqualified, such as gtpsuper24, simply because they do not currently own a particular model only hurts your argument.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #29 of 65 Old 09-07-13, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System
Additionally I would like to apologize to everyone for not maintaining this thread better over th past couple of months.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and

post #30 of 65 Old 09-07-13, 08:19 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Thanks for reeling this in, Dale. No apology is needed.

Everyone is qualified to give an opinion. No one should be attacking others. It simply will not be tolerated here. Some may speculate, all have their biases, yet we can, and will discuss those perspectives with respect and deference to the right of others to have an opinion, whether we agree or not.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.