Axiom Epic 80 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 65 Old 09-07-13, 08:58 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System
Quote:
gtpsuper24 wrote: View Post

I've owned Axiom speakers too and have done direct side by side comparisons and I always felt I was qualified to discuss the differences in each speaker pros and cons. The Axiom fans thought other wise. There is no discussion unless of course it revolves around how awesome Axioms are. Some of those Axiom fans haven't even owned any modern speakers in the last 20 yrs other than Axioms but yet they feel they have the right to say how Axioms are similarily good compared to the competition.

They also feel they have the right to tell me i'm wrong in my assessments. Axiom, HSU, Aperion, Paradigm, Arx, Boston and several others all in the same room at the same time. The Axiom fans have never given any other brands the time of day just due to pure blinded brand loyalty. Talk about quality crossovers and they resort to suggesting that you believe in voodoo snakeoil marketing like gold plated speaker wire. Talk about wanting quality cast drivers with proper venting and they resort to calling names.

I remember suggesting Axiom develop new drivers and was vilified for it and was told there is NO need for improved, better, different drivers. Now the new 6.5" comes out and they changed there tune on those. Don't know what happened there??? Didn't know they needed a improved 6.5"

The only benefit of the M100 over the M80 and Ian even stated on his forum is the slight increase in bass extension and increased output in that same region.

Oh and the LFR and the M100 are the exact same dimensions. 47.5" x 9.25" x 17" Its economics and makes sense from a business stand point.
Is the upcoming Bryston Model A $3250.00 similar to the new Axiom M100? Axiom R&D helped design the new Bryston line for which most reviews have been extremely positive. Bryston Model T uses 8 inch woofer's and 5 inch midrange? The Model A is a lower price version of Model T with pretty much the same driver complement as Axiom M100. I'm sure Bryston reworked the crossover and demanded a better 61/2 driver than the present M80. Is this why Axiom is delivering the Model 100?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 Old 09-08-13, 08:14 AM
Banned!
Chad

My System
Re: Axiom Epic 80 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread

Quote:
Bjski wrote: View Post
Is the upcoming Bryston Model A $3250.00 similar to the new Axiom M100? Axiom R&D helped design the new Bryston line for which most reviews have been extremely positive. Bryston Model T uses 8 inch woofer's and 5 inch midrange? The Model A is a lower price version of Model T with pretty much the same driver complement as Axiom M100. I'm sure Bryston reworked the crossover and demanded a better 61/2 driver than the present M80. Is this why Axiom is delivering the Model 100?
From a business stand point for profits it makes total sense to use that cabinet for as many models as possible. I would not be surprised to see that new Axiom 6.5 used in the Bryston Model A, that 6.5 seems to be a pricey option from Axiom $700 to upgrade the LFR with it. Plus the M100 is another $1100 over the M80 so I would say Axiom is probably using the 6.5" motor and basket, that was meant for the Bryston speakers. Bryston did confirm that they do in fact use the identical tweeter as the Axiom speakers, so using the same woofers probably isn't out of the realm of possibilities.
post #33 of 65 Old 09-08-13, 08:17 AM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System

I know they use the same tweeter and I think we are on the same page with the new woofer. I bet Bryston reworked the crossover.

post #34 of 65 Old 09-08-13, 08:29 AM
Banned!
Chad

My System

Quote:
Biggarthomas wrote: View Post
After you have listened, than be as critical as you like.
Thats exactly what I did a year and a half ago or so. I had owned Axiom M22s, M2 and VP150 for several years as well as owning a EP175 subwoofer. I decided to look into other speakers just due to my dislike of the VP150. I ordered a pair of Arx A1 bookshelfs, HSU HB Mk2, Aperion 5b, Paradigm Atoms, Boston Acoustics CS and VRB along with some Boston VR1 and VRC speakers I had left over. I had also demo'd more Paradigms, Martin Logans and some other brands in some dealers.

I posted my opinions of them and how they compared to my current system at the time (Axiom). The Axioms came in usually the most expensive and had the cheapest build quality. Lowest of low crossover components, cheap stamped drivers compared to the other brands. The Arx drivers and crossovers was vastly superior to any of the Axiom models I had and came in cheaper than the Axioms. The Arx crossovers was so far ahead of what Axiom was offering that I was amazed and began to really question everything. Arx uses non-inductive wire wound resistors in there crossovers that cost about 4x as much as Axioms resistors (going by madisound and PE prices) I'm sure the air core used in the Arx xover costs as much as the entire Axiom crossover.

The M22 could come no where close to the dynamics and fullness of the A1 or the HSU bookshelf and both came in cheaper than the M22. After close examination I started questioning Axioms value or lack of.
post #35 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 11:17 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
I know they use the same tweeter and I think we are on the same page with the new woofer. I bet Bryston reworked the crossover.
Buuuump!

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on the Bryston Middle T (in between the Model T and Mini T -- makes sense). The reviews for these speakers have been off the charts, though there is some criticism on the cabinet finishes (vinyl is standard, real wood veneers are $$ more). Bryston showed the Middle T at CES this year, though it was driven by their top of the line mono blocks, which was interesting.

Unfortunately, Bryston has chosen to limit distribution of their speakers to only certain Bryston dealers, so the local dealer doesn't have any.

The Middle T, at the same price point as a similarly veneered ATC SCM-40, which I have heard and is simply an astonishingly great speaker, had better be good. I guess I need to get to LA and take a listen.

The partnership with Axiom and their anechoic chamber has certainly turned into a good thing for both companies as I believe it has raised Axiom's status (and they can leverage Bryston's research) at the same time as providing Bryston with a cost effective way to produce what seem to be very good speakers.

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro
Merrill Thor Monoblocks
Marantz MM7055 amp
Oppo BDP-95 blu ray player
ATC SCM-19 v2 L&R speakers
B&W LCR6 center speaker
B&W LCR6 height speakers
B&W CDS6 surround speakers
Velodyne SPL-1000 Subs (2)
Sony XBR65x850a 4K
post #36 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 11:53 AM
Senior Shackster

Are you talking about this ones ?

post #37 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 11:59 AM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System

The partnership with Axiom and their anechoic chamber has certainly turned into a good thing for both companies as I believe it has raised Axiom's status (and they can leverage Bryston's research) at the same time as providing Bryston with a cost effective way to produce what seem to be very good speakers.[/QUOTE]

If you look at the Bryston Model A line it looks very similar to the Axiom HP line,100,80 and 60. This would make sense if you add in the Bryston dealer profit and Axiom ships direct.

I agree I believe that Bryston and Axiom partnership has helped both brands. The question now is Axiom using better parts in there HP line or is Bryston using cheap parts? Both manufactures believe their new lines are quality products Bryston offering a 20 year warranty on speakers and Axiom offering 10 years on their HP line.

In the end isn't about the enjoyment?
post #38 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 12:29 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System

Quote:
Almadacr wrote: View Post
Are you talking about this ones ?

Admranger was talking about the Middle T. Your picture is showing the Model T.

What I was addressing was Bryston Model A line and the Axiom HP line. The Axiom M100 was featured in the $3000 shoot off. The Bryston Model A is similar to the Axiom M100. Bryston new A line uses the new Axiom 61/2 woofer where the Model T line uses an 8 inch woofer.
post #39 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 12:32 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System
Quote:
Admranger was talking about the Middle T. Your picture is showing the Model T. What I was addressing was Bryston Model A line and the Axiom HP line. The Axiom M100 was featured in the $3000 shoot off. The Bryston Model A is similar to the Axiom M100. Bryston new A line uses the new Axiom 61/2 woofer where the Model T line uses an 8 inch woofer.
First picture Model T second picture Mini T.
Forgot about the second picture.
post #40 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 01:04 PM
Senior Shackster

This is the M100 and as you previous stated Bryston is using the cheap parts of Axiom ( just the change in the drivers color and the M100 using a external DSP) .

BTW they were both in the same room and had the chance to listen both .