Axiom Epic 80 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 03:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Axiom Epic 80 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread

Quote:
Almadacr wrote: View Post
This is the M100 and as you previous stated Bryston is using the cheap parts of Axiom ( just the change in the drivers color and the M100 using a external DSP) .

BTW they were both in the same room and had the chance to listen both .

And the results of listening to them left you with what impressions on each?

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro
Merrill Thor Monoblocks
Marantz MM7055 amp
Oppo BDP-95 blu ray player
ATC SCM-19 v2 L&R speakers
B&W LCR6 center speaker
B&W LCR6 height speakers
B&W CDS6 surround speakers
Velodyne SPL-1000 Subs (2)
Sony XBR65x850a 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 03:14 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System
Quote:
This is the M100 and as you previous stated Bryston is using the cheap parts of Axiom ( just the change in the drivers color and the M100 using a external DSP) . BTW they were both in the same room and had the chance to listen both .
Axiom now has a new 61/2 woofer, new tweeters and a different crossover in the HP models so has the parts quality improved?

What about the sound quality? Bryston has been getting rave reviews for their Model T. Haven't seen much press on the Model A's which are similar to the Axiom's.
post #43 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 04:20 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Bjski wrote: View Post
Axiom now has a new 61/2 woofer, new tweeters and a different crossover in the HP models so has the parts quality improved?
What about the sound quality?
After swapping out my M80's for M80HP's I can confirm they are a different breed, with a better sound, and the cross overs work well. Some of its subtle, at least at first. Once you sit down to listen the nuances become note worthy.
I hate to say anything bad about the M80, I didn't notice any issues with them and wish I could keep them too.
Now that I've got the HP's set up properly, I'm impressed. So much so we often turn off the surrounds and view satellite content in 3.1.
It could be the room dimensions are helping me here but there's no going back.

Last edited by brwsaw; 03-28-14 at 05:12 PM.

post #44 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 05:01 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System
Quote:
brwsaw wrote: View Post
After swapping out my M80's for M80HP's I can confirm they are a different bread, with a better sound, and the cross overs work well. Some of its subtle, at least at first. Once you sit down to listen the nuances become note worthy. I hate to say anything bad about the M80, I didn't notice any issues with them and wish I could keep them too. Now that I've got the HP's set up properly, I'm impressed. So much so we often turn off the surrounds and view satellite content in 3.1. It could be the room dimensions are helping me here but there's no going back.
Nice!
post #45 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 06:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
admranger wrote: View Post
And the results of listening to them left you with what impressions on each?
From those 2 specific models ... not impressed at all for there price range $3000 and + . I said to the owners of the M80 at the time to keep them not worthed the investment .

For us Canadians Axiom is not very well ... per say , respected and they did that to themselves but for me the QS8 is still one of the best surround speakers available in the market . For a front stage in the same price range i would consider other brands specially for the ones in the US .
post #46 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 07:16 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System
Quote:
From those 2 specific models ... not impressed at all for there price range $3000 and + . I said to the owners of the M80 at the time to keep them not worthed the investment . For us Canadians Axiom is not very well ... per say , respected and they did that to themselves but for me the QS8 is still one of the best surround speakers available in the market . For a front stage in the same price range i would consider other brands specially for the ones in the US .
Interesting seeing how the Axiom's held up in Home Theater Shack $3000 evaluation. The only speaker they seemed to dislike or didn't get excited about was the Polk.

Not familiar how Axiom dismissed the Canadians?
post #47 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 07:55 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I was very impressed with the Axiom in the recent listening event at Sonnie's, but only after we moved it out into the room and optimized the position. Superb speaker.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #48 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 08:21 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Bjski wrote: View Post
Interesting seeing how the Axiom's held up in Home Theater Shack $3000 evaluation. The only speaker they seemed to dislike or didn't get excited about was the Polk.

Not familiar how Axiom dismissed the Canadians?
Yeah the Canadian affair is for another day and other tread this is not the right one . I can give you a example without without creating any controversy . In another forum i caught one guy that was passing himself as axiom speaker owner and in fact he was and still is a Axiom employee .

Let's keep it like that one day if the subject comes up i will share what happen .
post #49 of 65 Old 03-28-14, 09:01 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System
Thanks.....
post #50 of 65 Old 03-29-14, 12:12 AM
Shackster

Alma:

Your statement ref Canucks not respecting Axiom is a rather over-generaization and is quite frankly misleading.

I had so little respect for Axiom that I recently purchased 3 full sets (1 HT and 2 audio only) to replace my original audio set from the early 1990s that carried a 'Lifetime Warranty'. They were still performing like new when I retired them - still under warranty that I never had to access.

Just because they are not for you doesn't mean that many, many more don''t value and enjoy them immensely - whether they be Canucks or whatever...

TAM