Axiom Epic 80 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 65 Old 05-04-11, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System
Axiom Epic 80 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread

Axiom Epic 80 EP800 7.1

For the Full Review: Click Here!

Summary: I think one thing that seems to get lost in other reviews of the Epic 80 and more specifically the M80’s is the lack of any sound colorization. These speakers are extremely neutral sounding which struck me as odd because the woofers are all aluminum. Usually when I hear something such as a Definitive, Klipsch and even some Martin Logan I can hear something that seems to be undoubtedly specific to the brand. Almost like when I hear a Marshall cabinet versus a Mesa-Boogie cabinet, but in Axiom’s case I just don’t hear it. I hear perfectly clear sound, flawless imaging and natural sounding re-production of audio sources.

The Axiom Epic 80 7.1 with the EP800 is absolutely the best sounding set of speakers I have heard in its price range. These aren’t boutique level, but more of an audiophile quality workhorse. Not a Ferrari, but easily a Corvette Z06. I have no qualms about recommending this very setup, and have, to anyone looking to move to the next level from generic box store brands that tout audiophile quality, but don’t adequately deliver. I ended up buying this set from Axiom because once I heard this incredibly dynamic and jaw-dropping setup and could directly compare it to my Definitive Technology setup, there was no way I was sending it back. I would be very curious to hear what Axiom could do if they went ultra-high end in the vein of a Paradigm Signature or Dynaudio however; my bride and bank account sure hope they don’t.

Highly Recommended

For the Full Review: Click Here!

Regards,
Dale Rasco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 05-14-11, 04:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

re: Axiom Epic 80 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread

Hey Dale, how did you feel about the vertical (and horizontal) sweet spots of these M80s?
post #3 of 65 Old 05-14-11, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

Absolutely love it! Still brings a smile to my face every time. I'm glad I took your suggestion when I started and threw more power at them, they really came to life at that point!

Regards,
Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and

post #4 of 65 Old 05-15-11, 11:10 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Nice review, thanks for taking the time, Dale.

That sub sounds like it is a beast.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #5 of 65 Old 05-16-11, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

It is definitely a monster! Very tight and clean bass!

Regards,
Dale Rasco

Dale Rasco and

post #6 of 65 Old 03-27-12, 01:52 PM

My System
Re: Axiom Epic 80 Speaker Review: Discussion Thread

Hi, I just read your reviews of the Axiom speaker system and wanted to know if you were still using that setup and still happy with them?
I have narrowed my choices down to either the Axiom of Klipsch, but I won't be able to afford the larger sub and will probably get another brand that's not quite as expensive.

Thanks for any response you have.

Rustolem
post #7 of 65 Old 03-27-12, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

I still have them and still love the fidelity. I will stress the importance of having enough power to push the 4 ohm load. But yes, that are absolutely phenomenal sounding speakers and highly recommend them.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

Dale Rasco and

post #8 of 65 Old 03-27-12, 03:25 PM

My System

Hey thanks for the response, after so many forum post I have never seen people so negative against one speaker manufacturer.
I would be running a Yamaha RX-A3000, and would think it would be enough to give them the power they need.
Do you have the M80's set to small in your speaker configuration?
If so how does music sound on 2 channel?

Thanks again,
Rustolem
post #9 of 65 Old 01-10-13, 08:47 AM
Shackster
Dan

My System

Hi. After reading your review, I decided to buy the epic80. I am a newbie in HT, and I was wondering if you can answer some of my questions.

1. I have onkyo tx-nr709, from your review, my 110 per channel would be suboptimal. And was going to do what you did. Get pair of the crown xls1000 to run the fronts and the center. My first questions is, can I also add the sub to crown amp, since I should have one channel left?

My second question is, on Amazon, one reviewer of crown said this "Crown accepts 1.4 volts input, which Onkyo 809 receiver was unable to provide. Onkyo could only pump out 0.2 volts, which is a shame. So, later I had to buy ART CleanBox Pro to bump up the output level of Onkyo 809. So, anyone interested in running this amp in HT setup must also buy ART CleanBox Pro, otherwise you won't be able to drive it adequately."

Could you explain what this means? And also is it necessary to buy the pro or am I good to go?

I appreciate any help you can provide

Thanks

DL
post #10 of 65 Old 01-10-13, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Dale Rasco

My System

I think with the 809 you would need the ART PRO and I personally would not use the second channel for the sub on the second XLS1000. I would look into a Dayton sub amp for that.

Regards,
Dale Rasco

Dale Rasco and