SHO-10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 28 Old 01-07-12, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
SHO-10

I bought yet another pair of speakers. Is there no cure for this sickness?!?

My system now employs 100% pro audio drivers. High directivity with low distortion, these drivers pump out the volume while barely moving. This makes for a very detailed sound. The directivity design really helps out in my difficult room. Images "pop", with big air around the performers when the recording allows, and a W I D E soundstage.

The Chase Home Theater SHO-10:

SHO-10-img_1171-ii.jpg

SHO-10-sho-10-ii.jpg

SHO-10-img_1174-ii.jpg

What's next? More woofage!

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-03-12, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System
Re: SHO-10

Speakers that I tried out last year before settling on the SHO-10s.

B&W 602S3, GR Research N2X, Tweak City Audio WAF-1, AV123 X-Omni.

More pics: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post448117

SHO-10-speaker-trio.jpg

SHO-10-x-omni.jpg

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #3 of 28 Old 03-03-12, 03:30 PM
Elite Shackster

engtaz

My System

Quote:
"Speakers that I tried out last year before settling on the SHO-10s.

B&W 602S3, GR Research N2X, Tweak City Audio WAF-1, AV123 X-Omni."
What can you tell was the differences between the speakers and what makes the SHO10's your choice? Love the setup. I know that having the CS 18.1 setup with the SHO10 is audio candy.

Don't you like how music can make a bad day better.

post #4 of 28 Old 03-03-12, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
engtaz wrote: View Post
What can you tell was the differences between the speakers and what makes the SHO10's your choice? Love the setup. I know that having the CS 18.1 setup with the SHO10 is audio candy.
My room is very difficult, a wall with windows to the left and a large opening to the kitchen on the right. There is also a doorway behind the listening position to the right. I have no symmetry for the left and right speakers, each has it's own environment which creates a L/R channel imbalance. I have set up my CD storage cabinet on the left to throw the sound back the way it came, per Earl Geddes. One day I will set up a 48"x24"x4" acoustic panel in place of the CD cabinet to simulate the large opening to the right. The antique Lazy Boy catches diffraction off the cabinet. This really helped a lot with conventional dome and cone speakers.

The SHO-10 constant directivity design focuses the sound on the listening position, helping to overcome the L/R imbalance in the front. High efficiency leads to low distortion which fosters enhanced detail. I actually find myself listening at lower overall average levels because the dynamics are so great. Another hall mark of the SHO/PRO-10 sound is the wide soundstage, with pinpoint imaging within that stage. It is very addicting.

post #5 of 28 Old 03-03-12, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Most do not have a crazy room like I have. Let me explain another benefit constant directivity has.

Those with symmetrical L/R speaker environments can experiment with angling their SHO/PRO-10s at a hard 45 degrees to the listening position.

As you move off center, let's say left, you move closer to the left speaker. The volume level from the left side is increased as a result, creating imbalance. By cross firing the left speaker to the right, you avoid it's direct input. This restores balance and widens the sweet spot.

You may also try removing any first reflection absorption panels, this can enhance the effect.

post #6 of 28 Old 03-03-12, 06:39 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Nice set up. I have 2 PRO10's and a SHO10 for my center and for me the Pro10's are not as in your face then the Sho 10 and my front soundstage is excellent without being to overbearing. I love my SHO10 as a center but I am very happy with the PRO10's as my mains.
post #7 of 28 Old 03-04-12, 12:49 AM
Elite Shackster

engtaz

My System

I agree with you statement about the PRO10 vs the SHO10, tcarcio. I love the the PRO10 for stereo listening. The are great couple with a sub. Nothing is missing in the audio.

Don't you like how music can make a bad day better.
post #8 of 28 Old 03-04-12, 09:40 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Quote:
engtaz wrote: View Post
I agree with you statement about the PRO10 vs the SHO10, tcarcio. I love the the PRO10 for stereo listening. The are great couple with a sub. Nothing is missing in the audio.
It's funny because I love the way the Pro's sound now and I haven't even run Audyssey yet because I want to break them in first but I am almost afraid to run Audyssey because I might not like what it does to them. I know that makes no sense really but I just think they sound great right out of the box.
post #9 of 28 Old 03-04-12, 10:30 AM
Shackster
Steve

My System

I'd be more concerned what Audyssey did to the DTS-10 than the PRO/SHO. If you've already done this, then I think you're good to go and will only see better results. If it doesn't sound better to you, you can always turn Audyssey off - I bet you won't, though.
post #10 of 28 Old 03-04-12, 11:26 AM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

Your pictures of the SHO10s are the best I've seen. Better than the manufacturers.
I like the theoretical audio compromises made choosing a PRO audio 10" driver for the mains.
Since "subwoofers" have taken over reproducing the sounds from 10Hz up to the 80Hz crossover, there's no reason to have the mains reproduce anything below that. Since Pro 10s can do an excellent and powerful job from 80Hz through approximately 2000Hz that leaves the rest of the sound spectrum to a "good" tweeter. Simple but VERY effective strategy. Sounds like the Chase company has hit on a winner.