One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 02:59 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tesseract's Avatar
2 channel view
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 3,697
My System
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

Quote:
GranteedEV wrote: View Post
They're not the most resolving speaker in the world. One thing to remember however is that sometimes what extra you're hearing, is not part of the recording, but is being added by the speaker. "Detail" and "resolution" are not necessarily the same thing. Sometimes speakers will trade balanced tonality for "Showroom Sizzle (and Boom)" (it sells).
Agree 100%

I just went from the B&W 602S3 (possibly the best bang for buck speaker B&W ever made) to the Chase SHO-10. The SHO-10 does not have that extra bit of sparkle at the top the the 602S3 Nautilus tweeter has. My brother, who bought my 602s noticed this as well, and commented that the SHOs didn't reach as high. I asked him to think about this, as what he found missing might not actually be something that is supposed to be there.

Perhaps the SHO is more accurately reproducing the highs? Everything else about them slays the 602s. To be honest, I do prefer that last little bit of air at the top, but I cannot say for sure that it belongs there.

For the record, many speakers have this zing at the top, not just the 602S3.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
tesseract is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 03:10 PM
Elite Shackster
 
GranteedEV's Avatar
Kick logic 2 da curb
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,747
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
Agree 100%

I just went from the B&W 602S3 (possibly the best bang for buck speaker B&W ever made) to the Chase SHO-10. The SHO-10 does not have that extra bit of sparkle at the top the the 602S3 Nautilus tweeter has. My brother, who bought my 602s noticed this as well, and commented that the SHOs didn't reach as high. I asked him to think about this, as what he found missing might not actually be something that is supposed to be there.

Perhaps the SHO is more accurately reproducing the highs? Everything else about them slays the 602s. To be honest, I do prefer that last little bit of air at the top, but I cannot say for sure that it belongs there.

For the record, many speakers have this zing at the top, not just the 602S3.
How dead is your room? You might be able to get that air back just by livening it up a bit.

Tough to say what's more accurate on the upper treble. Accurate on midrange, lower treble, midbass, a lot easier. Upper treble is confusing. I don't think there's a right or wrong below 30hz and above around 8khz. In a sense we should just start with speakers that do everything else well, and then once it's narrowed down we can decide how we like our top and bottom octaves

Don't underestimate us! Whether it be time, space, or alternate realities, they mean nothing to us! We will pierce the path and methods you've chosen! That is who we are!
GranteedEV is offline  
post #93 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 03:49 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tesseract's Avatar
2 channel view
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 3,697
My System
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

I definitely have 30-8k Hz where I want it, and that is great advice, EV. Constant directivity from 1600 Hz on up really helps in my difficult room.

The room is quite lively, flutter echo is a problem that I manage with light treatments. Maybe I just need to add more bass.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
tesseract is offline  
 
post #94 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
 
ALMFamily's Avatar
Joe
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,209
My System
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

You guys do realize that if you keep this up, I will be auditioning speakers long after I finish the HT room!

Seriously though, thanks for the discussion. I am going to try to hit every speaker on the list as far as research goes. Per Ikarius' advice though, I may start tagging some speakers as ones that I will not audition live based upon what the matching speakers offer. Also, I will probably not be able to do all the ID ones unless I can find members who have them and are willing to put up with a traveling noob.

Perhaps I missed it - does anyone know the details of the Chase GTG for April 20-21? I normally try to read every thread, but I may have missed one discussing it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ALMFamily is offline  
post #95 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 05:46 PM
Elite Shackster
 
tesseract's Avatar
2 channel view
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 3,697
My System
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

From the HTS thread:
Quote:
craigsub wrote: View Post
We are going to have a GTG at our place on April 20-21. We should have 6 different subwoofer models plus our two speakers there.
And the manufacturer forum/thread:
http://www.chasehometheater.com/foru...ead.php?t=4890

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
tesseract is offline  
post #96 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 06:06 PM
Elite Shackster
 
Jungle Jack's Avatar
Jack
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 8,112
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

Hello,
I will again say that I adore Thiels and the best ever 2 Channel SQ I ever had in one of my Systems was when I had a pair of CS 1.5's connected to a Nakamichi AV-10 around a decade ago when living in Charleston, SC.

My short list of next Speaker Brands is Thiel, Focal, Dynaudio, and Wilson Audio. I am thinking within the year, I am going to put together a 5.2 HT from one of these companies. Even with getting a decent return from selling my Martin Logans, this is going to practically bankrupt me. Especially if I go Wilson.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
Jungle Jack is offline  
post #97 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 06:27 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 37
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

On Vandersteen; I owned Vandersteen 2CEs before building a new sound system starting with MartinLogan Motion LX16s. I owned them for over a decade, and was very happy with them. Their tone is warm and engaging, and they present a terrific soundstage. However, they still need a subwoofer to fill out the bottom end, they are absolutely less detailed & articulate in the high end than the MartinLogans- AND they cost more than twice as much as the LX16s.

A decade ago, I agree, the Vandersteens were some of the finest speakers to be had for the money. However, in the last decade, neither Vandersteen's lineup nor their pricing has changed while other manufacturers have improved substantially and prices have come down.
Ikarius is offline  
post #98 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 10:32 PM
Elite Shackster
 
Jungle Jack's Avatar
Jack
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Siesta Key, Florida
Posts: 8,112
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

Hello,
Another worthwhile company is Magneplanar. My brother used to own 3.6's and they sounded fantastic. He ended up selling them to get Focal 1038be's, but his HT is Martin Logan Ascent i's (Front/Surround), Theater i and Descent i so it made sense to me to go with something like the Focals. Also, Maggies have some of the best resale values of any Speakers out there.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
Jungle Jack is offline  
post #99 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 11:47 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HOUSTON TEXAS
Posts: 194
My System
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

If available try and give the KEF's an audition I own Paradigm Studio 100's and I am happy with them but one of our clients just purchased some KEF's 205 I believe and they were impressive.
OZZIERP is offline  
post #100 of 362 Old 02-26-12, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
 
ALMFamily's Avatar
Joe
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,209
My System
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
From the HTS thread:


And the manufacturer forum/thread:
http://www.chasehometheater.com/foru...ead.php?t=4890
Thanks Tesseract - I did not know they had a link to it on their forums. I think I may just make the drive if they have room!

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
I will again say that I adore Thiels and the best ever 2 Channel SQ I ever had in one of my Systems was when I had a pair of CS 1.5's connected to a Nakamichi AV-10 around a decade ago when living in Charleston, SC.

My short list of next Speaker Brands is Thiel, Focal, Dynaudio, and Wilson Audio. I am thinking within the year, I am going to put together a 5.2 HT from one of these companies. Even with getting a decent return from selling my Martin Logans, this is going to practically bankrupt me. Especially if I go Wilson.
Cheers,
JJ
Thanks JJ - I do have the Thiel 2.4, Focal 836, and the Dynaudio XT36 on my current list based upon your earlier suggestions. It might be fun to give a listen to the Wilson Audios - but the good lord knows I won't make enough in my lifetime to get them.

Quote:
Ikarius wrote: View Post
On Vandersteen; I owned Vandersteen 2CEs before building a new sound system starting with MartinLogan Motion LX16s. I owned them for over a decade, and was very happy with them. Their tone is warm and engaging, and they present a terrific soundstage. However, they still need a subwoofer to fill out the bottom end, they are absolutely less detailed & articulate in the high end than the MartinLogans- AND they cost more than twice as much as the LX16s.

A decade ago, I agree, the Vandersteens were some of the finest speakers to be had for the money. However, in the last decade, neither Vandersteen's lineup nor their pricing has changed while other manufacturers have improved substantially and prices have come down.
Point taken - fortunately, I have the PB-13 Ultras on sub duty.

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
Another worthwhile company is Magneplanar. My brother used to own 3.6's and they sounded fantastic. He ended up selling them to get Focal 1038be's, but his HT is Martin Logan Ascent i's (Front/Surround), Theater i and Descent i so it made sense to me to go with something like the Focals. Also, Maggies have some of the best resale values of any Speakers out there.
Cheers,
JJ
Are Maggies electrostatic? I seem to recall there being something different about them......

Quote:
OZZIERP wrote: View Post
If available try and give the KEF's an audition I own Paradigm Studio 100's and I am happy with them but one of our clients just purchased some KEF's 205 I believe and they were impressive.
Added the KEF R900 speakers to the list.

Per a very good suggestion, here is a link to the audition list.

Google Doc Audition List


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ALMFamily is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
find , journey , newb , perfect , speaker

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome