One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker - Page 11 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #101 of 363 Old 02-26-12, 07:59 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

Hello,
Maggies are Planar Speakers and use a true Ribbon or quasi Ribbon on the less expensive Models. Very difficult to drive, but do not need to be plugged into a Wall Socket like ESL Speakers.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 363 Old 02-26-12, 11:27 PM
Senior Shackster

Outlaw

My System

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
Agree 100%

For the record, many speakers have this zing at the top, not just the 602S3.
I totally agree with you on the zing. I've always called that sound the "hi-fi" sound. It doesn't sound real. It sounds like way too much "hi" to be real. Unfortunately many speakers with "clean clear" highs are popular. They make me want to cut off my ears and run away. I don't understand why so many want those icepick highs.

JJ:
Maggies are not difficult to drive. They have a very benign and relatively flat 4 Ohm load. They do like lots of current. Liking lots of current doesn't make them a difficult load just a hungry one..

ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300, Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon cartridges: Marantz CD63SE, Yamaha DVD-S1800,, MSB Link D2A, Emotiva XDA-2, Accuphase T101 tuner, TEAC V7010, Emotiva UMC-200: Front speakers: Acoustat Spectra 22 ESL's, DBX223sx, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2 12" Transmission Line Subs, Behringer DSP1124P, 2 Crown XLS-402 Rear speakers: Acoustat Model 1 ESL, Paradigm X-30, 2 Adcom GFA-545, Acoustat SPW-1 Woofer.
post #103 of 363 Old 02-27-12, 11:28 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
JoeESP9 wrote: View Post
I totally agree with you on the zing. I've always called that sound the "hi-fi" sound. It doesn't sound real. It sounds like way too much "hi" to be real. Unfortunately many speakers with "clean clear" highs are popular. They make me want to cut off my ears and run away. I don't understand why so many want those icepick highs.

JJ:
Maggies are not difficult to drive. They have a very benign and relatively flat 4 Ohm load. They do like lots of current. Liking lots of current doesn't make them a difficult load just a hungry one..
From the 3.6 Stereophile Review "The Magnepan's estimated voltage sensitivity was on the low side, at 83.5dB(B)/2.83V/m. However, in a typical room the speaker's quasi-line-source vertical dispersion should make it sound a little louder than might otherwise be expected. (The in-room loudness of a true line source falls off in a linear manner with distance, rather than as the square of the distance, as is the case with a point source.) But it should be noted that BD did need a good beefy amplifier to drive the Maggies to useful levels.

The speaker's impedance (fig.1) approximates a resistive load of around 4 ohms over much of the audioband. However, there is a slight magnitude peak centered at 1.6kHz, due to the crossover between the ribbon and the midrange diaphragm. The minimum value is 3.3 ohms at 10kHz, which is not going to be problem for any good amplifier to drive, while the increasingly positive electrical phase angle at the top of the audioband is, I assume, due to the residual inductance of the ribbon driver. There is a small wrinkle in the trace between 50Hz and 60Hz, which is probably due to the tuning of the woofer diaphragm."

I suppose we all have different criteria for what is a difficult to drive Speaker, but an 83db Efficient, sub 4 Ohm is an awfully difficult load in my book. And if you read the 1.6 Review. even though it is a Quasi Ribbon, it is still highly inefficient and a fairly low impedance.
J

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a

post #104 of 363 Old 02-27-12, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Thanks JJ - is there a model of the Maggies you would suggest? The 3.7 and 20.7 are more than likely out of my price range for now as this is my first attempt at an HT, and I am thinking I should have the room going for a while before I consider spending that much for speakers - oh, and my wife would probably slay me with the daggers her eyes would shoot out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #105 of 363 Old 02-27-12, 01:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Thanks JJ - is there a model of the Maggies you would suggest? The 3.7 and 20.7 are more than likely out of my price range for now as this is my first attempt at an HT, and I am thinking I should have the room going for a while before I consider spending that much for speakers - oh, and my wife would probably slay me with the daggers her eyes would shoot out.
Hello,
The 1.7 has gotten fantastic Reviews. While not a true Ribbon like the 3.6 and 20.7, the Quasi Ribbon is still excellent. If open to used, the 1.6 can be had for less, but they tend to sell on Audiogon about as soon as they are listed. My brother sold his 3.6's in 30 Minutes to a local buyer no less. Maggies really have the best Resale Value of any Speaker I have come across.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
post #106 of 363 Old 02-27-12, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
The 1.7 has gotten fantastic Reviews. While not a true Ribbon like the 3.6 and 20.7, the Quasi Ribbon is still excellent. If open to used, the 1.6 can be had for less, but they tend to sell on Audiogon about as soon as they are listed. My brother sold his 3.6's in 30 Minutes to a local buyer no less. Maggies really have the best Resale Value of any Speaker I have come across.
Cheers,
JJ
Thanks JJ - after a quick check at Audiogon, it looks like the 1.7 (new) and the 3.6 (used) would fall into my price range. Added to my list - cheers!

post #107 of 363 Old 02-27-12, 04:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Provided you have or can get a solid Power Amplifier, I can definitely vouch for the 3.6's. They are outstanding. The 1.7's have garnered rave reviews as well, but I would definitely go for the true Ribbon in the 3.6.
J

HT
post #108 of 363 Old 02-27-12, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
Provided you have or can get a solid Power Amplifier, I can definitely vouch for the 3.6's. They are outstanding. The 1.7's have garnered rave reviews as well, but I would definitely go for the true Ribbon in the 3.6.
J
Jack,

I do currently have 2 amps - a UPA-2 and an XPA-5. My plan was to use the XPA-5 to drive the L/C/R and the side surrounds and the 809 would drive the rears - the UPA-2 would be doing zone 2 duty.

Would the XPA-5 be ample enough to drive the 3.6?

Thanks for all the input!

Joe

post #109 of 363 Old 02-27-12, 06:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
The XPA-5 should be fine. While I think the XPA-1 or XPA-2 would be better, I do think the XPA-5 will get the job done.
J

HT
post #110 of 363 Old 02-27-12, 09:09 PM
Senior Shackster

Go to American TV and listen to the new LSI-M u will be blown away and they don't look half bad either