One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 362 Old 01-23-12, 09:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
High Velocity Folded Ribbon is Martin Logan marketing speak for the good 'ole Heil AMT driver. The patent recently ran out and several companies pounced on the opportunity.
Indeed. I too have pointed this out more times than I can count. As a ML Owner, it does distress me to know it no longer automatically equates to Electrostatic and Electrostatic Hybrid Speakers. They even have a 5.1 Speaker Package in a Box using Dome Tweeters! Truly disconcerting and it really feels like since Founder Gayle Sanders sold the company to ShoreView that in many cases they are now leveraging on decades of excellence to sell some Speakers that could not possibly be more different than what a Martin Logan Speaker used to be. Don't get me wrong, the ESL Series and Reserve ESL Series are still fantastic. As is the EM-ESL. It is also horrible that even the $25,000 CLX is no longer Made in America. All the while they call themselves "The Great American Speaker Company"

Back on topic, as you already have a wonderful Subwoofer and given Music matters to you, I would audition Focals, Dynaudio, Thiel, and upper range MartinLogans. The first 3 are the Brands which I am debating over when I switch out my Speaker Array some time in the next few months. At this moment, it is between Focal and Thiel. I would start with Focal. Their Inverted Dome Tweeters are some of the finest Tweeters extant and Companies like Wilson Audio use their Tweeters on the $150,000+ Alexandria and Models below.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 362 Old 01-23-12, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Indeed. I too have pointed this out more times than I can count. As a ML Owner, it does distress me to know it no longer automatically equates to Electrostatic and Electrostatic Hybrid Speakers. They even have a 5.1 Speaker Package in a Box using Dome Tweeters! Truly disconcerting and it really feels like since Founder Gayle Sanders sold the company to ShoreView that in many cases they are now leveraging on decades of excellence to sell some stinkers. Don't get me wrong, the ESL Series and Reserve ESL Series is still fantastic. As is the EM-ESL. It is also horrible that even the $25,000 CLX is no longer Made in America. All the while they call themselves "The Great American Speaker Company"

Back on topic, as you already have a wonderful Subwoofer and given Music matters to you, I would audition Focals, Dynaudio, Thiel, and upper range MartinLogans. The first 3 are the Brands which I am debating over when I switch out my Speaker Array some time in the next few months. At this moment, it is between Focal and Thiel. I would start with Focal. Their Inverted Dome Tweeters are some of the finest Tweeters extant and Companies like Wilson Audio use their Tweeters on the $150,000+ Alexandria and Models below.
Cheers,
JJ
Jack,

I have made an assumption - and perhaps I am wrong in this - that if a speaker performs well for music, it will perform well for HT use as well. Is that a bad generalization to make on my part? I will be using this area predominantly for movies, and if I am incorrect in my thinking here I will more than likely want to make sure whatever I get performs for movie content and use zone 2 on my 809 for 2 channel music in my workshop.

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #13 of 362 Old 01-23-12, 09:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I believe this assumption to be correct as well. Music Reproduction is far more demanding when it comes to accuracy and I have never spoken to a Sales Rep, Company Rep, or even Professional Audio Writer that does not believe this to be the case.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a

post #14 of 362 Old 01-23-12, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Thanks Jack - I will add those to my research list. On the plus side, I know that there is at least one dealer within an hours drive that carries at the very least Focal and Thiel.

post #15 of 362 Old 01-24-12, 04:57 AM
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
They even have a 5.1 Speaker Package in a Box using Dome Tweeters! Truly disconcerting and it really feels like since Founder Gayle Sanders sold the company to ShoreView that in many cases they are now leveraging on decades of excellence to sell some stinkers.
Bummer you find it disconcerting. Apparently actual owners find these Martin Logan 5.1 speaker packages a continuation of excellence, stinkers doesnt seem to be the consensus. Im sure youll find that exclusive feeling again Jack but I am glad to see Energy has new competition just the same.

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote:
I know that there is at least one dealer within an hours drive that carries at the very least Focal and Thiel
Im envious so many choices are a reasonable distance and youll get to hear some of the finest names in audio. Very much looking forward to hearing your impressions, have fun but take notes eh?
post #16 of 362 Old 01-24-12, 07:48 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Some suggestions are:
Energy Veritas or RC series
Monitor Audio Silver or Gold Series
Paradigm Studio Series
post #17 of 362 Old 01-24-12, 08:05 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

[QUOTE=TypeA;491052]Bummer you find it disconcerting. Apparently actual owners find these Martin Logan 5.1 speaker packages a continuation of excellence, stinkers doesnt seem to be the consensus. Im sure youll find that exclusive feeling again Jack but I am glad to see Energy has new competition just the same.

I was afraid that might come off as elitist, but I really tried to explain that for decades Martin Logan meant Electrostatic Speakers. Period. It is not about about exclusivity. To me at least. And more companies than I can count do 5.1 Packages so Energy is but one of a drove of them. All the same, I do regret that my Post was interpreted that way.

Also, I have linked to the MLT-2 Package countless times due to Newegg selling it for $299 as opposed to the $899 MSRP. There is a reason for it being sold for that little. I would recommend checking out the ML Owners Club as there is barely a mention of the MLT-2.

HT
post #18 of 362 Old 01-24-12, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post
Bummer you find it disconcerting. Apparently actual owners find these Martin Logan 5.1 speaker packages a continuation of excellence, stinkers doesnt seem to be the consensus. Im sure youll find that exclusive feeling again Jack but I am glad to see Energy has new competition just the same.

Im envious so many choices are a reasonable distance and youll get to hear some of the finest names in audio. Very much looking forward to hearing your impressions, have fun but take notes eh?
Definitely plan to take notes - I am actually planning on using a list much like the one in the sticky and assigning a 1-10 rating for each with a summary so I can refer back later.

Quote:
caper26 wrote: View Post
Some suggestions are:
Energy Veritas or RC series
Monitor Audio Silver or Gold Series
Paradigm Studio Series
Thanks for the suggestions Caper26! Again, fortunately for me, I can at least find the MA's and the Studios within an hour of me. I will have to check for an Energy dealer.

[quote=Jungle Jack;491087]
Quote:

I was afraid that might come off as elitist, but I really tried to explain that for decades Martin Logan meant Electrostatic Speakers. Period. It is not about about exclusivity. To me at least. And more companies than I can count do 5.1 Packages so Energy is but one of a drove of them. All the same, I do regret that my Post was interpreted that way.

Also, I have linked to the MLT-2 Package countless times due to Newegg selling it for $299 as opposed to the $899 MSRP. There is a reason for it being sold for that little. I would recommend checking out the ML Owners Club as there is barely a mention of the MLT-2.
No worries here Jack - I took your post to mean you were disappointed that ML's were moving away from what made them unique.

post #19 of 362 Old 01-24-12, 10:34 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Bummer you find it disconcerting. Apparently actual owners find these Martin Logan 5.1 speaker packages a continuation of excellence, stinkers doesnt seem to be the consensus.
Here is an interesting write up >
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...in+logan+mlt+2

Who or Where, is The Way, Truth and Life?

Speakers - MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer - Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver - Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #20 of 362 Old 01-24-12, 10:48 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

To me it is about a Company that was solely devoted to the manufacturing of Electrostatic Speakers from their inception until just before Gayle Sanders sold the Company. I have owned ML's since 1996 and it is just strange to see what they are doing these days.

This whole thing started with my reply to Tesseract bringing up that the "Motion Transducer" that marketing would suggest to be a major discovery is literally a 30 year old Oskar Heil Design whose Patent expired. That and things like them calling themselves "The Great American Speaker Company" when not a single Speaker is actually Made in America is difficult. Especially as they used to often talk about the Speakers being Built in Kansas replete with passionate Owners making the trek to the Plant followed up by a Demonstration of the $100,000 Statement's at Gayle Sanders Home.

I have nothing more to say about ML. And I regret that this Thread has turned to this discussion and I am certainly culpable in that.

HT