One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 362 Old 01-25-12, 02:29 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

I highly recommend university audio both Dave gerrard and Ben gottleib were fantastic and the B&W CM9's were the best speakers I have heard under $10,000 (subjective I know) I would give them a shot. That sound is what brings to mind "the way it was meant to be heard" for me. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 362 Old 01-25-12, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
showcattleguy wrote: View Post
I highly recommend university audio both Dave gerrard and Ben gottleib were fantastic and the B&W CM9's were the best speakers I have heard under $10,000 (subjective I know) I would give them a shot. That sound is what brings to mind "the way it was meant to be heard" for me. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the reply Show! University Audio is going to be my very 1st stop - I actually stopped in there once with my 2 year old to get a feel for the place and talked to Ben a bit. I plan on doing the Studio 100s, the CM9s, and possibly whatever they are carrying for Marting Logans if I can make it that long.

And, welcome to HTS! So proud your 1st post was in my thread!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #43 of 362 Old 01-25-12, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I have updated the music audition list in post #6 to include some suggested tracks - thanks for the suggestions!

I have drawn up my "Speaker Checklist" that I will be using to evaluate speakers and have attached a copy. I also attached a copy of my updated speaker list. Thanks and keep the suggestions coming folks - great stuff so far!!

post #44 of 362 Old 01-25-12, 10:16 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Caper26 - why FLAC? Is it due to a higher compression rate?

Unfortunately, my laptop does not have an optical connection.
FLAC is lossless. I bought a USB dongle (external sound card) with 3.5mm AND optical out. [LINK]
post #45 of 362 Old 01-25-12, 11:13 PM
Senior Shackster

University audio I think still has a demo pair of logans originally 5 marked down to 2 don't know what your timeline is but they were still there last week when I was demonstrating a sim2 projector
post #46 of 362 Old 01-26-12, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
caper26 wrote: View Post
FLAC is lossless. I bought a USB dongle (external sound card) with 3.5mm AND optical out. [LINK]
Thanks for the link Caper26 - more research!

Quote:
showcattleguy wrote: View Post
University audio I think still has a demo pair of logans originally 5 marked down to 2 don't know what your timeline is but they were still there last week when I was demonstrating a sim2 projector
Thanks for the heads up! I have not started auditioning any speakers as of yet and would probably be doing myself a disservice (and cutting down my fun! ) if I did not try to hear as much as possible. I will have to try to get there soon though to at least give them a listen.

post #47 of 362 Old 01-26-12, 09:23 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

Hello Joe,

I looked at your eval sheet. It’s a perfect IF you’re listening to the speakers in Your room.

A few thoughts for you:

Quality of low end – below 80hz will be taken by your excellent subs, so not Highly important. Listen for the speed of the kick drum rather then its low end extension.

Width and Depth of Soundstage – I believe this to be much more placement and room dependant. Too help a bit, make sure when auditioning speakers that they are place as close to the same distance apart and distance from the rear wall as they will be in your room. Even then an acoustically treated room will change their character.

Quality and Size of sound outside the “sweet spot”. If you’re listening in stereo this encompasses Soundstage width.

Ability to handle higher volumes – I believe more important is how they handle Dynamic changes to the volume (the soundtrack is initially soft then “something happens” which causes a fast transision to loud). This of course is also dependant on your amp and its headroom, so try to listen to speakers with the same quality of receiver/amplifier.

Ability to “disappear” – Imaging is very dependant on the recording and to a lesser extent placement and room acoustics. “Listen with your eyes” Can you point to the different areas of the “stage” in front of you saying “bassist is here, lead guitar there”.
post #48 of 362 Old 01-26-12, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
Hello Joe,

I looked at your eval sheet. It’s a perfect IF you’re listening to the speakers in Your room.

A few thoughts for you:

Quality of low end – below 80hz will be taken by your excellent subs, so not Highly important. Listen for the speed of the kick drum rather then its low end extension.

Width and Depth of Soundstage – I believe this to be much more placement and room dependant. Too help a bit, make sure when auditioning speakers that they are place as close to the same distance apart and distance from the rear wall as they will be in your room. Even then an acoustically treated room will change their character.

Quality and Size of sound outside the “sweet spot”. If you’re listening in stereo this encompasses Soundstage width.

Ability to handle higher volumes – I believe more important is how they handle Dynamic changes to the volume (the soundtrack is initially soft then “something happens” which causes a fast transision to loud). This of course is also dependant on your amp and its headroom, so try to listen to speakers with the same quality of receiver/amplifier.

Ability to “disappear” – Imaging is very dependant on the recording and to a lesser extent placement and room acoustics. “Listen with your eyes” Can you point to the different areas of the “stage” in front of you saying “bassist is here, lead guitar there”.
Thanks for the feedback Andre! You are entirely correct - my room will be so vastly different in sound compared to anyplace I audition speakers. That said, I guess what I am thinking is that if I do not like them in an environment that has much less to offer accoustically than my room, I will more than likely not like them in my room either.

Maybe a good approach might be to toss away the ones I really can't stand, and make an attempt to listen to the remaining ones in my room if at all possible. It will increase the number I have to arrange in home auditions for, but in the end that may not be a bad thing.......

post #49 of 362 Old 01-26-12, 11:24 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

I'd like to have fun with it. Set up a Saturday with a friend, with both of you having two picked songs/soundtracks then go listen to a some cheap Polks or Kilpisch, then go to a shop you can't afford and listen to something like Wilson Audio. If you can't hear the difference, quit and start drinking early. If you can then go up and down both ways until you line blurrs.
post #50 of 362 Old 01-26-12, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
I'd like to have fun with it. Set up a Saturday with a friend, with both of you having two picked songs/soundtracks then go listen to a some cheap Polks or Kilpisch, then go to a shop you can't afford and listen to something like Wilson Audio. If you can't hear the difference, quit and start drinking early. If you can then go up and down both ways until you line blurrs.
Oh, well anything will probably sound like bliss compared to my current Bose Acoustimass 10 system......

As far as speakers, I came across a dealer for these Canton Chrono speakers. I have never heard nor seen Canton speakers before - does anyone have any experience / info on these?