One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 362 Old 01-26-12, 03:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System
Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

Canton is a Germany speaker copy that was popular in the 80s (even Car audio back then), they specialize in Active speakers and use Metal dome tweeters. Some find them "bright"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 362 Old 01-27-12, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Thanks Andre - I saw a vendor within driving distance was an authorized dealer and I had never heard of the speaker.

Here is another - it appears to be a bit older but has anyone listened to a set of the FoCal JM Labs 726s floorstanding speakers? I found a set on Craigslist that I might check into for living room duty to start getting rid of that dreaded Bose mess..........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #53 of 362 Old 01-27-12, 11:51 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
Canton is a Germany speaker copy that was popular in the 80s (even Car audio back then), they specialize in Active speakers and use Metal dome tweeters. Some find them "bright"
Metal dome tweeters often get the blame for poor integration or crossover work. Canton makes some good stuff, mostly passive designs.

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Thanks Andre - I saw a vendor within driving distance was an authorized dealer and I had never heard of the speaker.
By all means, go take a listen. The more speakers you get to hear, the larger your knowledge base becomes.

http://www.canton.de/en-home.htm

Who knows what else you might find at that store, perhaps another brand you didn't know of.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks

post #54 of 362 Old 01-30-12, 10:06 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

Companies change, I remember Canton when they had some really tall active speakers and "awesome for the 80s" rear parcel shelf speakers (looked like what a soundbar looks like now a days). Another very nice speaker from back then that I loved was a Elipson Colonne Design.

My brother and I went out to listen to speakers for his new system this weekend. We first listened to my Axiom set up then went out. First up was some Focal Chorus 700 system (I found them to bright and the centre made the front sound stage too small). Next up was the Maggies MMG system...wow...night and day, especially dialog and everything to do with the center channel. However, to get them to that point we had to upgrade power and add a more expensive sub (REL T1, however, I am sure SVS will be just as good). Our last stop was a Martin Logan dealer where we listened to the Electromotion ESL. Even though they didn't have them in a home theater environment I found that 2 channel music was by far the nicest with the MLs. We were also told on the quiet that Futureshop in Canada was blowing them out for $1200 a pair. I told my bro that if he could get them at that price they would be my pick, if not I myself couldn't justify the extra cost over the Axiom M80 system since we would have to buy the ML Motif center at full price (according to the fellow at the store the electromtion centre did do the ESLs justice, they had neither to listen too so we had to take his word for it).

Very last for giggles we sat in the 100K HT room (Runco, Mark Levinson, Wilson audio), for what it costs I didn't see the appeal (they use an Oppo Bluray as their reference). For music however, I did listen to some MBLs being powered by some VTL tube amps...nice, stupid expensive..but nice.
post #55 of 362 Old 01-31-12, 10:41 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post

Here is another - it appears to be a bit older but has anyone listened to a set of the FoCal JM Labs 726s floorstanding speakers? I found a set on Craigslist that I might check into for living room duty to start getting rid of that dreaded Bose mess..........
Ooooh.... Don't discount French made Focal! One of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard was a pair of 826v. "Dark Side of the Moon" on about a $10,000 turntable setup never sounded so good this side of first row concert tickets. If you can get a smoking deal on them I'd jump for sure.

While you are craigslisting you might look for a deal on Vandersteen 2x (c, ci, etc.), maybe some documented Martin Logan and as silly as it sounds, take a listen to the Infinity Primus 36x (365 now?) line, if you can. Many would consider these "cheap" but I'd prefer them over a lot of speakers I've heard (and owned) costing most if not all of your entire budget.

Big box stores can be your friend for 30 day money back guarantee. The more expensive the boutique, the more expensive you have to make your listening room to reproduce the demo. Listening to any speaker in a given room is much more... listening to THE room with a speaker in it. Nothing, and I repeat, nothing, tops an extended demo in YOUR room.

Demo material? Well, you said movies. You have subs covered or I would recommend one of my benchmarks, "U-571", especially the "Depth Charged" scene to test good crossover from mains to subs and the ability of your amps to provide... in YOUR room. I also like the pod race in star wars "The Phantom Menace" for true surround sound staging.

For music I lean hard to Tori Amos "Little Earthquakes" for demo purposes. Although I'm not really a fan of her music it is easily one of the best produced (and mastered) albums in my several hundred CD collection. Chase that with The Who "The Ultimate Collection" or Greatest Hits (also a superb recording). I won't buy a pair of front speakers that can't pass my "Copeland test" in two channel (shut the subs off!). That is to say a high def FLAC of Copland's "Fanfare To The Common Man". Might be difficult to find on short notice though. Youtube is a good a place as any I guess...

I also like the song "Haitian Fight Song" by Charles Mingus Big Band and since I know it intimately well it gets used a lot in my demos too. If that upright bass and brass isn't live in my living room I move on to some different speakers.

Last edited by Oktyabr; 01-31-12 at 10:59 PM.
post #56 of 362 Old 02-01-12, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Thanks for the reply!!

I will check out those tracks - thanks for the suggestions. I have a feeling I have a small hole in my current list as I do not think I have a bass heavy track.

I decided to grab a pair of the Emptek E55Ti speaker that were on clearance for $400 for the pair. They are not going to be my HT speakers in the long run, but at that deep discount I just could not pass them up. They will end up being part of my living room system at some point.

Your speaker suggestions are spot on - I have the FoCals and the Vandersteens on my audition list. Once I trim the list to a few, I definitely will be auditioning them in my room.

Thanks again!

post #57 of 362 Old 02-01-12, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
The Journey Begins!!

I set up a time to go to University Audio to take a listen to Paradigm's Studio 100s tonight. As this will be the first speaker I have sat down for a full audition with, I am quite a twitter!

I will try to post my impressions in the next couple days. Thanks again to all for your feedback to this point!

post #58 of 362 Old 02-01-12, 11:12 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

Hey Joe,

Did you ever look at using an AT screen and putting the speakers behind it.
post #59 of 362 Old 02-01-12, 11:16 AM
Shackster

My 2cents- My old system has Vandersteen 2ce's and a VCC-1 center channel. I very recently assembled a new system, consisting of MartinLogan LX-16s for L/R, EM C2 center, and FX surrounds. The ML speakers quite honestly blow away the Vandersteens (which at the time I chose over paradigm), and I spent under $2500 for the 5 ML speakers.

Cheers
Ikarius
post #60 of 362 Old 02-01-12, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
Hey Joe,

Did you ever look at using an AT screen and putting the speakers behind it.
I never really did Andre due to the size of my room and the desire to put in 2 rows of chairs. Had I gone with the AT screen, I would have put the 1st row of seats in the 6-7' range which I felt was just way too close.

Quote:
Ikarius wrote: View Post
My 2cents- My old system has Vandersteen 2ce's and a VCC-1 center channel. I very recently assembled a new system, consisting of MartinLogan LX-16s for L/R, EM C2 center, and FX surrounds. The ML speakers quite honestly blow away the Vandersteens (which at the time I chose over paradigm), and I spent under $2500 for the 5 ML speakers.

Cheers
Ikarius
Ikarius,

Thanks for the feedback! I actually included the ML-16's on my audition list based on your and TypeA's impressions. I don't know if I have a dealer local carrying them to be able to audition them - University Audio has pretty much slimmed their ML offerings to one and it is not the ML-16. The next closest location is a Magnolia that I have not visited yet....... fingers crossed that I can hear a set!

Joe