One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 362 Old 02-02-12, 04:18 PM
Shackster

Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

Just a quick note- You might want to take a look towards the end of the "Which Speakers to get?" thread. Someone there mentioned GoldenEar Triton speakers, and I took the time to write up a bit of background info on those and the MartinLogan Motion speakers (they use similar tweeters).

Cheers
Ikarius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 362 Old 02-02-12, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I just checked it out Ikarius - thanks for the heads up! I came across them while I was doing google searches and also liked the reviews I saw.

Fortunately for me, the local audio shop carries these. So, I will be able to listen to the Studio 100's, the CM709's and the Triton II's all at the same location. I did listen to the Studio 100's yesterday for a little while. I plan on going back for a longer period of time so that I can listen to all 3 to try to wrap my head around different "sound" in speakers.

For those near Wisconsin, I highly recommend University Audio - Ben and Dave are both great guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #63 of 362 Old 02-04-12, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I was able to give the Studio 100s a short listen time this past week. I am planning on another trip shortly to spend a bit more time listening to them and then the CM709s. Some initial thoughts:

- They had a nice wide soundstage. The room is about 15'X15'X10' and I moved all around the room and did not feel there was a significant degradation in sound - I even stood behind them and noticed just a slight change. With the layout of my room and the potential to have the mains closer to side walls, I felt this speaker would be able to manage that well (properly treated of course).

- Bass and mids were tight and very clean. I did feel some thump (is this what is referred to as an ability to "dig deep"?)

- I did feel like the tweeter was a bit "in my face" at first (I think this is what people with more knowledge experience than I call "bright" or "detailed"). As I continued to listen, I began to appreciate the ability to pick out individual sounds (intake of breath, etc.). As this is the 1st speaker I have had a real chance to listen to, I had no real point of reference for that level of detail

- Vocals were incredibly crisp - both the Sara Mclachlan and Queen tracks were a true joy to listen to.

- Aesthetically speaking, a very pleasing speaker. I also like the fact that 2 centers are offered (did not actually listen to them) and one is similar in design / size to the mains but turned 90 degrees.

- I enjoyed listening to the varied orchestral tracks. I felt that I could "see" where each section was actually located - horns came through very well.

All in all, I was pleased with my 1st audition and felt that the Studio 100s would be one of the few I would like to audition in my own room.

On a different note, someone in a different thread linked a deep discount sale to a set of Emp Tek e55ti tower speakers. I had been monitoring Craigslist for a set of towers to replace the Bose Acoustimass 10 system in my living room and go 2 channel. I decided to pull the trigger and grab a set and received them yesterday. I will post pics and an initial review as soon as I get them all set up.

post #64 of 362 Old 02-04-12, 06:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

You will probably find that the speakers if designed right will have lots of detail and no matter where you have the volume will still be that way without being hard on the ears or tiring.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #65 of 362 Old 02-04-12, 09:39 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
- Bass and mids were tight and very clean. I did feel some thump (is this what is referred to as an ability to "dig deep"?)
I think that is "Slam". Digging deep is the ability to play really low notes

Quote:
All in all, I was pleased with my 1st audition and felt that the Studio 100s would be one of the few I would like to audition in my own room.
Thats great news!

HT (7.1): Yamaha RX-V565|Energy Take FPS X 3|V-S Surround X2|Take LCR X 2|DIY TRIO12|DIY SDX12|PS3|Wii|47" LG LCD|Bell Aliant FiberOp HDTV
Living Room (2.1): Yamaha RX-V863|Energy RC-70 X 2|Monitor Audio RX-w12|Turtle Beach Micro II USB Sound Card|Compaq Presario Laptop Newtworked for FLAC Streaming
post #66 of 362 Old 02-05-12, 12:40 PM
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
On a different note, someone in a different thread linked a deep discount sale to a set of Emp Tek e55ti tower speakers. I had been monitoring Craigslist for a set of towers to replace the Bose Acoustimass 10 system in my living room and go 2 channel. I decided to pull the trigger and grab a set and received them yesterday. I will post pics and an initial review as soon as I get them all set up.
Yeah GranteedEV posted them. Very nice purchase, you got them for a song

Quote:
- I did feel like the tweeter was a bit "in my face" at first (I think this is what people with more knowledge experience than I call "bright" or "detailed").
I think thats called a "forward" speaker.
post #67 of 362 Old 02-09-12, 07:06 PM
Shackster

ALMFamily,
I'm reading this thread with a lot of interest. I'm in a similar situation as I beginning to plan for my next Home Theater.
I'm planning for a 5.1 system and have approximately the same budget as you, although I will need to upgrade my subwoofer.
My usage of the system is similar to you with a little less music (95% movies, sports, TV and 5% for music)
I'm also operating under the assumption that a great speaker for music will be great for movies.
I know you can't demo all speakers, however, a few brands/names that I did not see on your list and would enjoy to see your opinions are:
- Aperion Verus Towers (ID Retailer)
- JTR Speakers (either Triple 8s or Triple 12s) - Getting rave reviews across forums for playing with movies
- Def. Tech. Mythos ST(S)s and/or BiPolar Speakers (BP8080ST) - Typically easy to demo at box stores such as Best Buy

One question, how to you plan to incorporate the ID brands into your journey (Salk, Ascend, Philharmonic)? Do you plan to arrange trial periods in your home for demo and then ship back the speakers?

I took the course of running out and demoing speakers without much thought to how to compare. I really look forward to your reviews and will follow along. Thanks for what you're doing.
Regards,
Robert
post #68 of 362 Old 02-09-12, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
rmichnow wrote: View Post
ALMFamily,
I'm reading this thread with a lot of interest. I'm in a similar situation as I beginning to plan for my next Home Theater.
I'm planning for a 5.1 system and have approximately the same budget as you, although I will need to upgrade my subwoofer.
My usage of the system is similar to you with a little less music (95% movies, sports, TV and 5% for music)
I'm also operating under the assumption that a great speaker for music will be great for movies.
I know you can't demo all speakers, however, a few brands/names that I did not see on your list and would enjoy to see your opinions are:
- Aperion Verus Towers (ID Retailer)
- JTR Speakers (either Triple 8s or Triple 12s) - Getting rave reviews across forums for playing with movies
- Def. Tech. Mythos ST(S)s and/or BiPolar Speakers (BP8080ST) - Typically easy to demo at box stores such as Best Buy

One question, how to you plan to incorporate the ID brands into your journey (Salk, Ascend, Philharmonic)? Do you plan to arrange trial periods in your home for demo and then ship back the speakers?

I took the course of running out and demoing speakers without much thought to how to compare. I really look forward to your reviews and will follow along. Thanks for what you're doing.
Regards,
Robert
First off Robert - welcome to HTS!! I found this forum about 4 months ago, and it is my new favorite home.

Thanks for the suggestions for speakers - I will plan on looking at them in the next couple days to see if I can add them to my list. I have been doing my best to avoid the big box store for listening to a speaker - just so much traffic and whatnot. I have yet to try the Magnolia in the Best Buy about an hour away to see if it is set-up any better - might have to give that a looksy. Fortunately for me, I am located within reasonable driving distance of a few different smaller shops as well.

As far as the ID speakers, I was able to find a group in my area that does periodic GTGs and some of those are being brought to the next one as well as getting a generous offer from another HTS member to come to his home to hear his set-up. For the rest, I will probably pick 1-2 to demo in home and ship back.

I am hoping to get out tomorrow to listen to the CM709 and GoldenEar Triton II - fingers crossed!

post #69 of 362 Old 02-10-12, 08:27 AM
Shackster

Quote:
First off Robert - welcome to HTS!! I found this forum about 4 months ago, and it is my new favorite home.

Thanks for the suggestions for speakers - I will plan on looking at them in the next couple days to see if I can add them to my list. I have been doing my best to avoid the big box store for listening to a speaker - just so much traffic and whatnot. I have yet to try the Magnolia in the Best Buy about an hour away to see if it is set-up any better - might have to give that a looksy. Fortunately for me, I am located within reasonable driving distance of a few different smaller shops as well.

As far as the ID speakers, I was able to find a group in my area that does periodic GTGs and some of those are being brought to the next one as well as getting a generous offer from another HTS member to come to his home to hear his set-up. For the rest, I will probably pick 1-2 to demo in home and ship back.

I am hoping to get out tomorrow to listen to the CM709 and GoldenEar Triton II - fingers crossed!
Joe,
Thanks for the welcome. I noticed the SE Wisconsin GTG thread on AVSforum. Wish I could attend, however, way too far for me. I am very interested in your reviews/feedback from the GTG and will follow along.
Also looking forward to your review of the GE Triton 2. I demoed the Triton 2 at an audio shop in my area. Went in with high exepectations due to all the reviews I read. Walked away somewhat disappointed, however, in fairness I was not assertive in controlling the environment, such as positioning the bass knob/level and moving the speakers off of the front wall. I will give the GE Triton 2 a second listen with thoughts about the listening environment.
post #70 of 362 Old 02-10-12, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Just wanted to post initial thoughts on the B-Stock EmpTek Towers:

Here are a couple pictures of the boxes:

Speaker one
Speaker two

As you can see, it looks like both were ripped by a forklift. No damage to the speakers though.

Here is boxes removed. I was a little worried about them when I saw the packaging did not surround the speaker - fortunately, no damage.

Speaker one
Speaker two

The first speaker - the first picture is a "swirly" on top of the speaker. The next two are right next to cover. They look much worse than they really are as the camera really lit them up.

blemish 1
blemish 2
blemish 3

The second speaker just had the swirly on the top.

blemish 1

And, it's current resting place!

Home!

Here are a few pics with the grille off.

Whole speaker
Upper Half
Lower half

As far as the sound, I am currently building my HT room so I have not got much time on them yet. However, I have noticed that it handles bass / mids pretty well (I played a Blue Man group track) - crisp, clear and a bit of slam which actually somewhat surprised me TBH. I promised the family we would watch a movie tonight so I will give more impressions soon.

Snowing here today so no babysitter service available (aka Grandma ) so I won't be getting to listen to the CM709 or Tritons today. So all is not lost, I am still going to go there and check out the Oppo players!

Last edited by ALMFamily; 02-10-12 at 10:38 AM.