One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 362 Old 02-24-12, 11:26 AM
Shackster

Re: One Newb's journey to find his "perfect" speaker

Joe,

Thanks for replying.

I'm following the SE Wisconsin GTG thread on AVSforum and you'll certainly get an opportunity to listen to a lot of great speakers. I'm most interested in your observations of the Ascend Sierra Towers (ribbon tweeter) and the Philharmonics. Understanding that the GTG is a music listening demo and not HT, after the GTG, hopefully, we can connect and you can share your observations.

JTR Speakers - Its another ID brand, however, different than the Klipsch in terms of its compression driver. It is highly sensitive and geared toward HT - loud, dyanmic and clean, even though many owners have stated its also good for music (based on a hi-fi design). The speaker appears to use horn technology, however, many opinions are that horn technology sounds different on different brands and even lines of speakers, as well as, in different listening environments. Many people believe once you get into the higher lines of Klipsch (i.e. Reference), the brightness is no longer there. Also, other speakers that use horns (i.e. BIC as an example) are categorized as being laid back. Per reviews, JTR speakers sound neutral.
If there's one Pro-Audio speaker that you demonstrate for HT, I understand that JTR is the one. People on the forums are going crazy as to how good these speakers are for HT. Of course, comparing JTR to the speakers you'll listen to at the GTG is comparing apples to oranges.

Def. Tech Mythos - I demoed the Mythos STS a few weeks ago. When you make your way to Magnolia let me know your thoughts about the Mythos. My Magnolia only carried the Def. Tech BP line, thus, I found another Box Store to demo the Mythos.
Also, when you're at Magnolia, check out the B&W CM9s and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for all that you're doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 362 Old 02-24-12, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

OK, here is my updated list. Again, I don't know that I will be able to listen to all of these, but I am sure going to try to get as many as I can!

Audition List.xls

Robert, the Best Buy with a Magnolia in my area also does not have the Mythos - I contected another place to see if they have them - fingers crossed!

Oh, and I do not have to go to Best Buy for the CM709s as the local store has those as well as the Studio 100s and the GoldenEar Triton IIs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #83 of 362 Old 02-24-12, 08:23 PM
Inactive
Ty

You have some serious speakers on that list, its great you have so many of a reasonable distance to audition. Will be watching the results closely

post #84 of 362 Old 02-24-12, 08:49 PM
Senior Shackster

Has anybody recomended Theil yet? They have one in that similar price range. It's though to exclude them they sound fantastic and look good too. They were on my list but the CM9's won as they were a little more mellow but the Theil still sounded great albeit a different sound.
post #85 of 362 Old 02-24-12, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
showcattleguy wrote: View Post
Has anybody recomended Theil yet? They have one in that similar price range. It's though to exclude them they sound fantastic and look good too. They were on my list but the CM9's won as they were a little more mellow but the Theil still sounded great albeit a different sound.
I have read a few posts from JJ where he was very supportive of the Thiels - so I do indeed have the Thiel CS2.4 on my potential list.

post #86 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 10:18 AM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

It would be awesome if you could take your EMPs to that GTG so Nuance et al can tear them apart (verbially)

I do prefer the e55tis over the Paradigms that you auditioned... what are your thoughts?

Anyways a few speakers to check out.. (er... buying... >_>;) would be

- Philharmonic Audio 2
- Audio Artistry CBT36 (Assembly required)
- JBL LSR 6332
- Soundfield Audio 1812
- Pioneer S1-EX
- Gedlee Abbey
- Audiokinesis Planetarium

Quote:
JTR Speakers - As with the Aperion, these appear to be ID. Also, (and correct me if I am wrong) it appears that these speakers are as sensitive or more sensitive than Klipsch speakers are. I did have the opportunity to get a short listen to the RF-62s and just felt - for lack of a better choice of words - there was too much treble for my tastes. If my understanding is correct, a higher sensitivity speaker is not only easier to drive, they tend to have a higher treble (bright?) sound. I figure if the Klipsch did not appeal, these probably would not either.
Sensitivity is mostly independant of tonality/voicing (although a lot of horn speakers do trade tonal accuracy for loudness). You can electrically change the tonal balance of any speaker through its crossover (although you can't change everything about it).

I'm not a fan of Klipsch speakers, either for what it's worth. There aren't a lot of high sensitvity speakers that do appeal to me, but that's not because they are high sensitvity, but because of other design aspects. A few that I listed above are however, high sensitivity.

Don't underestimate us! Whether it be time, space, or alternate realities, they mean nothing to us! We will pierce the path and methods you've chosen! That is who we are!
post #87 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 11:47 AM
Shackster

I just got an opportunity to look through your audition list.

Personally I'd take the Vandersteen off your list. I had vandersteen before I bought my MartinLogans, and the MartinLogans are hands down better speakers. Also, I didn't have excel handy, so I loaded the document up to Google docs. If you actually use the google doc, we can see your progress without you having to do anything....

Link: HERE

Umm, other than that, after looking at that list, there are several speakers where I'm not certain if there are good center/surround options (if your room is relatively optimal and you go bookshelf, you could go the same speakers all around except center channel, but if you're going w/ towers, you're unlikely to use the same speakers for surrounds. If I were you, I'd take a look at the list of speakers and try to discern what you'd do for the other 5 channels, and if you're not satisfied with how the pairings look, take em off your list. Might help you a bit

Cheers
Ikarius
post #88 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
GranteedEV wrote: View Post
It would be awesome if you could take your EMPs to that GTG so Nuance et al can tear them apart (verbially)

I do prefer the e55tis over the Paradigms that you auditioned... what are your thoughts?

Anyways a few speakers to check out.. (er... buying... >_>;) would be

- Philharmonic Audio 2
- Audio Artistry CBT36 (Assembly required)
- JBL LSR 6332
- Soundfield Audio 1812
- Pioneer S1-EX
- Gedlee Abbey
- Audiokinesis Planetarium

Sensitivity is mostly independant of tonality/voicing (although a lot of horn speakers do trade tonal accuracy for loudness). You can electrically change the tonal balance of any speaker through its crossover (although you can't change everything about it).

I'm not a fan of Klipsch speakers, either for what it's worth. There aren't a lot of high sensitvity speakers that do appeal to me, but that's not because they are high sensitvity, but because of other design aspects. A few that I listed above are however, high sensitivity.
Thanks for the speaker suggestions! I will do my best to get a bit of research in on them for potentially adding them to my list. Seeing as how this is my 1st opportunity to meet Nuance and the rest, I will more than likely NOT take anything along.

As far as my impressions, I have not had much time on the EmpTeks yet - about 4 hours max and none of that was listening to my audition tracks. I have been spending every free moment I have working in the HT space. I will make an attempt to do that this week and give my impressions. One thing I can say - they don't seem as hmmmm... detailed? With the Studios, I felt I heard everything - good and bad (used my ipod and was getting some static) - I don't get that feeling with the EmpTeks.

Quote:
Ikarius wrote: View Post
I just got an opportunity to look through your audition list.

Personally I'd take the Vandersteen off your list. I had vandersteen before I bought my MartinLogans, and the MartinLogans are hands down better speakers. Also, I didn't have excel handy, so I loaded the document up to Google docs. If you actually use the google doc, we can see your progress without you having to do anything....

Link: HERE

Umm, other than that, after looking at that list, there are several speakers where I'm not certain if there are good center/surround options (if your room is relatively optimal and you go bookshelf, you could go the same speakers all around except center channel, but if you're going w/ towers, you're unlikely to use the same speakers for surrounds. If I were you, I'd take a look at the list of speakers and try to discern what you'd do for the other 5 channels, and if you're not satisfied with how the pairings look, take em off your list. Might help you a bit

Cheers
Ikarius
Thanks for the opinion on the Vanderstein - I guess I am thinking I will try to listen to as much as I possibly can. But, based on that input, I will not go out of my way to make sure I include it.

That is a really good suggestion - I will go back through the list and pair it down. Better yet - I will go back through the list and update the google doc (Thanks for posting the google doc - I will try to remember to do all my updates there. ) to indicate why I will not be auditioning that particular speaker.

post #89 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 01:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
One thing I can say - they don't seem as hmmmm... detailed? With the Studios, I felt I heard everything - good and bad (used my ipod and was getting some static) - I don't get that feeling with the EmpTeks.
They're not the most resolving speaker in the world. One thing to remember however is that sometimes what extra you're hearing, is not part of the recording, but is being added by the speaker. "Detail" and "resolution" are not necessarily the same thing. Sometimes speakers will trade balanced tonality for "Showroom Sizzle (and Boom)" (it sells). At times, you can bring speakers that impressed you in the showroom home, and find them fatiguing and sibilant. Sometimes it's the speaker that seems to do the least, that is actually the most honest. And sometimes the speaker does so little that it's removing from the recording. Striking that balance of accurate reproduction is tricky to say the least. Add in the speaker's interaction with the room, and things can get kind of convoluted.

All-in-all just live with them for a while and see what you think. Try not to get too caught up in listening to the speaker... just listen to the recordings(music/movies). if the speaker is doing something wrong, you'll hear it and recognize it subconciously. Soon enough you'll probably get a chance to audition Warpdrv's Salk Soundscape Monitor 7s. You'll find that they too have a relaxed tonality to them, but don't sacrifice even a smidgen of Accuracy to the original recording. If the recording has detail to be extracted, it will be, but nothing false will try to grab your ear.

As for Vandersteen vs Martin Logan, I've never heard Vandersteens but I've only heard excellent things about them.

Don't underestimate us! Whether it be time, space, or alternate realities, they mean nothing to us! We will pierce the path and methods you've chosen! That is who we are!
post #90 of 362 Old 02-25-12, 02:50 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Thanks for the opinion on the Vanderstein - I guess I am thinking I will try to listen to as much as I possibly can. But, based on that input, I will not go out of my way to make sure I include it.
I wouldn't recommend crossing Vandersteen off the list. They make some of the very best cone & dome speakers for the money. I cannot think of a loudspeaker that has been around as long or has been as successful as the 2C series. You absolutely should go out of your way to hear Vandy's!

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks