Paradigm Monitor 11 vs Axiom M60/M80 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 26 Old 08-04-07, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
alexadams77

Paradigm Monitor 11 vs Axiom M60/M80

I'm pretty much down to two choices right now. I've auditioned the Monitor 11's and I was wondering how they compare to the Axiom speakers? It's going to cost me around $150 to audition the Axiom speakers if I don't like them, so I'd like to know if anyone knows which would be better for my system?

Room Size: 20L x 14W x 8H
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2200 (6 x 100w)
Center: Bose VCS-10 (100w)
Mains: Bose 701 (200w)
Rear: Bose 301 (150w)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-04-07, 03:48 PM
jeb

Re: Paradigm Monitor 11 vs Axiom M60/M80

I don't know about the axiom's, but I just picked up my monitor 11's and love them.
post #3 of 26 Old 08-04-07, 08:45 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I have never heard either, but FWIW... I have read many a review and never a negative remark about Paradigm.

post #4 of 26 Old 08-05-07, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
alexadams77

Here's a very rough drawing of my HT Room
Attached Thumbnails
Paradigm Monitor 11 vs Axiom M60/M80-room.jpg  

Last edited by alexadams77; 08-05-07 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to add Pic
post #5 of 26 Old 08-06-07, 07:36 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

I'm a Paradigm fan. IMHO, they offer some of the most neutral sounds out there and are a great bargain.

I've never heard the Axiom's, so I can't really offer an opinion on them.

Finally, since I know you're looking to buy a good subwoofer, I'd suggest looking at Paradigm's Studio 20s. There are differing opinions on this, but I think a good bookshelf mated with the subs you're looking at will work well/better in that room.

Advantages of a bookshelf:
  • More flexible about placement
  • typically less expensive for the same performance as a floor stander (bigger box = more materials and more space taken up warehouse)
Advantages of Floorstander:
  • Can sometimes have lower bass extension
  • You don't need to buy stands
I think the monitor 11's are ~1000/pair and the Studio 20's are ~$800 -- I have no idea if those numbers are perfectly accurate, but they may be. Anyway, if you haven't, I'd suggest taking a listen to the 20's and see if you like them better. You may like them better.

JCD
post #6 of 26 Old 08-07-07, 05:12 PM
doreytp
Inactive

I own Axiom M80's , VP150 and 4 QS8 and a HSU3 MKII for a sub. Denon 3804 for my amp.

I have heard Paradigm in a HT store. I wouldn't trade my Axiom's for the Paradigm. The sound stage is awsome, well blended and with the Dianna Krall DVD in stereo you would think the centre channel was on. The mids are unbealivable with this Cd and the bass is astounding.

Some people you hear say to much high end , but I don't think so. I think they are very well balanced and flat. Really good low end for stereo sound. I went three years no sub until recently because I really didn't need it, well yah I did but I didn't miss it.
They need room, I have them 1ft from the wall but my TV is a 52" tosh. DLP so they are pretty well flush. They are about 2 ft from the side walls, toed in a bit.

Look at it this way if you are spending $1500 on speakers ..... $150 is not alot to pay too ship back to get what you want. I will tell you this if you do A/B Blind testing you will be keeping your $150.
Now if you A/B test them against the Paradigm studio's 100's well, there would be competition.
Even at that it would come down to preference. And unless I had an extra $1000 to toss away, I most likely take the Axiom because they would be close and I don't think it is a $1000 worth.
Put it this way, before they went internet based the M80's were a bargain at $1850 that they were selling in the store for.
SO at $1300 they are a steal and check out the factory outlet you get 10% off and I can't see the blemish on mine.
also if you want to save the shipping look on there website there are people who will audition thier's for you. Which leads me to another point, support is excellent and the forum is a really good place for info. If your in Nova Scotia come on over ... if not there is a huge list of poeple willing to demo. Send an email to Amie on the site and she will line you up with some one I am sure.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/sho...ge=0#Post76567

No I am not affiliated with Axiom just a proud owner
post #7 of 26 Old 11-02-07, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
alexadams77

I ended up getting the m60's, but I knew that I'd like the m80's better, so I'm awaiting delivery of th m80's. They should leave Ontario on Monday and be West bound to BC hopefully arriving by next Monday.
post #8 of 26 Old 11-13-07, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
alexadams77

I've had the m80's now for about 4 days now and think they are amazing. It seems like the more I turn up the volume, the more they like it. I find that my music collection sounds a lot better now and they work well with my PC13-U.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-13-07, 04:27 PM
Senior Shackster
Worm

So what is your impressions on the Axiom vs the Paradigm?

By the way congrats on the speakers.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-13-07, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
alexadams77

The Axiom m80's are top notch that's for sure. The m60's were better then the Paradigms, no question at all, but for only a few extra bucks, I figured that I'd upgrade to the m80.

I'm actually going to take the m80's into the Paradigm dealer and see what they're comparable against. I'm sure that we'll have to go out of the Studio Series and into something else.