Floorstanding recomendations - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 45 Old 05-30-12, 09:39 AM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Did you listen to the electro-motion Martin Logan's in a Magnolia Home Theater? Is so they were likely setup wrong. They should have been pulled out a couple feet from the wall and towed in just slightly (google Martin Logan flashlight trick). You should give the theos and the motion20/40s a try IMO they are a much better option then the electro-motion speakers. That said I'll take the BW over DefTech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 05-30-12, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mikey

The martin logans i listened too were the ones at the magnolia store. They were away from the wall quite a bit. I mean they sounded pretty good but they had to use a subwoofer to get any decent bottom end. Im fully aware you get mostly upper mids n highs from the electrostatic speakers. But for $2,000 a piece i was just expecting a bit more. So you would recommend the B&W CM9 over deftech Mythos ST or there 8080st?
post #13 of 45 Old 05-30-12, 02:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Quote:
BuddahX wrote:
The martin logans i listened too were the ones at the magnolia store. They were away from the wall quite a bit. I mean they sounded pretty good but they had to use a subwoofer to get any decent bottom end. Im fully aware you get mostly upper mids n highs from the electrostatic speakers. But for $2,000 a piece i was just expecting a bit more. So you would recommend the B&W CM9 over deftech Mythos ST or there 8080st?
Yes the BW have much more natural sound IMO. I work for geeksquad and have much experience with BW, DefTech, ML and would tell you the theos do not need a sub in two channel. The sub is really only needed for ultra low frequencies and to support the center surround speakers. Give a listen to the motion 40s. Your store should have just gotten them in in the last week or so.

post #14 of 45 Old 06-02-12, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mikey

Ok thanks. When i go back ill listen to the motion 40's. I was there today and was able to listen to the Def Tech bp-8020st and i really thought they sounded good. No body was there to help me so i wasnt able to listen to the BW CM9 towers. I dont really have a hi fidelity ear so i dont think i need anything to overly expensive. But i do want a quality product and a nice n elegant design.
post #15 of 45 Old 06-06-12, 08:19 AM
Pending

Re: Floorstanding recomendations

Quote:
BuddahX wrote: View Post
Ok thanks. When i go back ill listen to the motion 40's. I was there today and was able to listen to the Def Tech bp-8020st and i really thought they sounded good. No body was there to help me so i wasnt able to listen to the BW CM9 towers. I dont really have a hi fidelity ear so i dont think i need anything to overly expensive. But i do want a quality product and a nice n elegant design.

Ok bro, a few questions. First, are you going to be using this for music only or also home theater? If both, how much % wise of each? (ie 60/40 or 30/70) Def Techs are hard to beat for home theater, but, I don't recommend their STS, but rather, the BP-8060's or better yet the BP-8080's. Those are killer for home theater and would stomp on the B&W CM-9's. If you are only going to be listening to music, then the B&W CM-9's might work, although, they are not all that good for home theater, at least not compared to Def Techs or Klipschs'. I would also recommend the Ascend Sierra Towers or the Ascned Sierra-1's as these will be better than the B&W CM-9's for music, and be really good for home theater. I have gone through boat loads of speakers in my lifetime. I personally own a pair of Ascend Sierra-1's and also a full 7.1 Definitive Technology setup. I use the Ascend for music listening and the Def Techs for home theater. I have yet to find anything else, below the price of a new car, that I like better! Hope this helps!
post #16 of 45 Old 06-06-12, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mikey

Thanks that helps a lot. 90% will be for movies. I was looking at the ascend but they dont have a matching center from what i can find. But im really leaning toward the deftech 8060's or 8080's with matching center and there surrounds. Will be doing a diy subwoofer setup using TC subs. Either ported or with PR's. Was looking at the deftech 4000, 6000 there nice with the remote. Ill be using 2 separate subwoofers one for each side. I think the bipole towers will be better for me than the ST's. Thanks for your help. You pretty much helped me make up my mind.
post #17 of 45 Old 06-06-12, 03:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Quote:
BuddahX wrote:
Thanks that helps a lot. 90% will be for movies. I was looking at the ascend but they dont have a matching center from what i can find. But im really leaning toward the deftech 8060's or 8080's with matching center and there surrounds. Will be doing a diy subwoofer setup using TC subs. Either ported or with PR's. Was looking at the deftech 4000, 6000 there nice with the remote. Ill be using 2 separate subwoofers one for each side. I think the bipole towers will be better for me than the ST's. Thanks for your help. You pretty much helped me make up my mind.
You may not need a sub with the BP towers since they each have an LFE input.

Btw what AVR will you be using?
post #18 of 45 Old 06-06-12, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mikey

I prob wont need them But im kind of a bass enthusiast. And i think it will look fresh with a TC sub on either end of the towers.
post #19 of 45 Old 06-06-12, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mikey

Right now im Using a Harmon Kardon AVR-2600
post #20 of 45 Old 06-06-12, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Mikey

Correction AVR-1600. But i might as well upgrade that as well. But im unfamiliar with avr's. When all said and done i want to have a 7.2 setup. Any receiver suggestions? I dont need anything too too outlandish. Just something with good sound and would like to stay below a $2000 mark.