Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 system - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 12 Old 08-14-13, 11:48 AM
dan

Re: Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 system

I'm a 67 year old male with somewhat impaired hearing, especially midrange. The TV is in my den which is about 450 sqft with a 14ft vaulted ceiling and with 1/2 of one end open into a 150 sqft breakfast area. I was running a Bose 1-2-3 system with my LED TV but COULD NOT understand much of the movie dialogue, esp. with the least bit of sound effects, etc. Was constantly asking, "What'd they say?" I bought a $3500 in the ear hearing aid which did not help a bit. It just amplified EVERYTHING, making the problem "louder". I returned it and got a refund. I was troubleshooting another problem with my Bose system online a few weeks later when I read about the midrange deficiencies of my system which was intended as a simulated surround system that I "won" 10 years ago. So I investigated a better system and my designated expert, [my son] suggested a Denon AVR-2213CI or better with a Definitive Technology Procinema 1000 system. He urged that I upgrade to the Procenter 2000 midrange to improve my chances of hearing movie dialogue under all sound effects conditions. This system including the Denon AVR-2213CI, 3 speaker brackets, cabling, new speaker wire, totally installed cost 1/2 the hearing aid cost plus about $350. I think prices are up 5-10% since my purchases in July. My son wanted $1000 to install the system if I helped, and -0- if I didn't. I left the room after moving some furniture and placing the speakers, LOL!

I was pleased with the results after running the Audyssey auto speaker setup, but there were still some bass effects limiting the dialogue clarity on some movies. So I starting experimenting with the manual set up audio menu variables and recording settings. Ultimately, I've been able to tweak my system so that I can hear movie dialogue under all extremes of background effects and get great range including bass on music channels. Not only that, I play the system volume about 15-20 db lower late night so as not to vibrate the rest of the household out of bed when I'm enjoying an action movie and can still "hear" the dialogue nearly as well, loosing perhaps a little of the movie theater effect but not much. I'm sure many of you don't mind fiddling with settings under different conditions or when listening or watching different programming. But I just want to adjust the volume one time and watch my movie or listen to my music. I have to preserve my divorce...the ex is my house mate and complains about the rumbling if I don't cut the volume after she retires to her bedroom. Since I can't divorce her again unless we remarry first under Texas law, I lower the volume, LOL!

I'm no video/audio geru by any means, just an older guy who wants to hear and enjoy the programming I choose at any given time. I'm sure many other AVR brands and Denon models would work well with this speaker set up. I cannot write about the Procenter 1000 standard midrange since I opted for the 2000 from the beginning. Hope this is helpful to those considering this Def Tech system.

Last edited by notepu; 08-14-13 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 Old 08-26-13, 05:19 PM
Koen Wuyts

My System
Re: Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 system

I have had the Pro Monitor 1000, Pro Center 1000 & Pro Sub 1000 as front speakers for 2 years (without any surrounds) and they sounded great, one of the best speaker systems I had owner up till then. Powered by a moderate Yamaha RX-V663.

Since then we move do a bigger house, and I've added the Mythos STS in front, and moved the Pro Monitors to the back as surround. Also change to receiver to an Onkyo TX-NR 5007, Since the beginning when I bought the Pro Monitor series, I had the Mythos STS upgrade path in mind. this will take it from a very good system, to a louder even beter system.

In my oppinion you can't go wrong with the Pro Monitors from DefTech. At least I'm very happy with them still.