Surround Speakers? - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 35 Old 06-14-06, 09:48 AM
Senior Shackster

Darren

Re: Surround Speakers?

Quote:
Darrel Hawthorne wrote:
Hey Darren,
That's an interesting design.
Looks like a pretty simple build....
Do you run two or four? Could they be inverted and located close to the ceiling? Or both above and below?

These could be a fun DIY project.
Thanks for sharing
Darrel

I run two for now. They are designed to be placed 16" from the ceiling either on the side walls or back wall. I have them on the side wall. The baffle is tilted at 10 degrees toward the listening position and the drivers fire into the ceiling then ricoche to the listening position so you compensate for the extra distance in the speaker setup. I was skeptical before I built them but must say I love them. My direct radiating surrounds were far too localized, these create rich ambient sound and increase the rear stage depth dramatically.

You can't invert them by design as they require the ceiling surface to function as designed. It took me an evening to build the boxes and another 3 days (mostly drying time) to apply the proper finish.

Oh, P.S. I'm setting my computer up with REW so my testing of the B.A.D 15" drivers should speed up a bit!

Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 06-14-06, 10:17 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

Years ago I read about the possible advantages of pointing any direct radiating surround speakers toward the ceiling. I tried it back when I was running 5.1 and liked it much better than pointed toward the listening position. Anyone who is not satisfied with their direct radiating surrounds should at least try pointing them at the ceiling and find out if it improves the soundfield for them.

We are the Shack. Existence as you know it is over.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
post #33 of 35 Old 07-05-06, 11:33 PM
Senior Shackster
Habs fan

Quote:
Darren wrote:
Hi Darrel,

I'm using GR-Research AV1RS http://www.gr-research.com/kits/av1rs.htm, a fairly uniqe design which I find to be very good. I used to have direct radiating but thses are much better, the effects aren't localized and are much more natural sounding.
Thanks to you Darren I think I have found my next speaker building project

I have been looking for a surround design that would be small and have hi WAF but also give good surround effects and the AV1rs might just do it. The idea is simple but makes perfect sense.

I am currently using direct radiating inwalls in the rear of my room .These work fine for multichannel music but not so great for movies.I need something that is less directional.

Anyway thanks for revelation.
Fred

post #34 of 35 Old 07-17-06, 01:20 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Interesting thread,
Catnip and Aryenaut (sorry about spelling). As far as firing speakers at the ceiling, here is a speaker you would like. Take a look at the column surrounds. The guru at M&K tells me that using the smallest version, the cs-22, gives incredible results. You can put these anywhere behind you, even right against your theater chair, and the sound fires up and to the sides of you. Great for HT with sounds like choppers flying over, rain, any ambient noise. I listened to the larger pair recently, and it really was impressive. Sounded like sounds were everywhere around me, and in the right place. It sounds like basically the same thing you two did, only it was bipoles as well. So 2 sides and a top speaker.
Roly
M&K Sound SURROUND SOUND SPEAKERS PAGE
post #35 of 35 Old 08-11-06, 01:56 PM
Senior Shackster

Darren

Quote:
F1 fan wrote: View Post
Thanks to you Darren I think I have found my next speaker building project

I have been looking for a surround design that would be small and have hi WAF but also give good surround effects and the AV1rs might just do it. The idea is simple but makes perfect sense.

I am currently using direct radiating inwalls in the rear of my room .These work fine for multichannel music but not so great for movies.I need something that is less directional.

Anyway thanks for revelation.
Fred
Let me know how it goes and definitely post pics. I'm very happy with mine.