Kef Owners Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 31 Old 10-05-12, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
FJR
Shackster

Kef Owners Thread

I think Kef makes incredible speakers for both music and home theater so we should have a thread here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-10-12, 10:41 AM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Re: Kef Speakers

Quote:
FJR wrote: View Post
I think Kef makes incredible speakers for both music and home theater so we should have a thread here.
Do you own some Kef speakers?

Perhaps Kef owners could share details and experiences in this thread if they're interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-10-12, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
FJR
Shackster

My first Kefs were the Reference 103/4s which I paired with a DefTech Powerfield 1500 sub, simply amazing. A few years back I got the XQ40s with the XQ50c center after trying the Aperion Grand Verus Towers with matching center. The Aperions were much more laid back and great for music but a bit lacking, IMO, for HT.

The XQs are very good speakers also but not what I had before for music so I recently upgraded to the Reference 205/2 with the 202/2c center. I home auditioned the Revel Ultima Studio2s also which are incredible also. The 205/2s worked better in my room but the driver in my decision was the centers, the Voice2 just wouldn't fit with my setup.

I know there are many amazing speaker brands but in my limited experience I find Kef works very well for both music (e.g. B&W) and HT (e.g. M&K).

post #4 of 31 Old 01-02-13, 10:31 AM

Re: Kef Owners Thread

I was lucky enough to get a pair of the new 50th anniversary LS 50's at the beginning of December. I completely concur with JA in Stereophile that these are "Class A for smaller rooms". They are only available on the KEF USA website, and are currently out of stock. They're small, but absolutely potent for Jazz, classical, or almost anything. The Clarity and lack of colortion is beyond belief. Knock on the side and you'd swear you were knocking on concrete. I use them with a sub, but twice I've left the sub off and didn't notice till later. Amazing reviews from multiple sources--- google 'em.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-07-13, 07:46 AM
Shackster

I have some Kef Q900 front speakers. Great bass and midrange vocals. I got them to use in a bedroom close to a wall and with no space on the sides and they do great since they have a sealed design with passive bass radiator cones on the front. These are my first speakers more than $400 a pair and they were definitely worth the jump in price and I really felt like I had entered audiophile territory with actual sound engineering going into the speaker design past the stuff that can be done by DIY projects. Like the tweeter being inside the midrange woofer etc.
post #6 of 31 Old 04-30-13, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
FJR
Shackster

Quote:
pgmdir wrote: View Post
I was lucky enough to get a pair of the new 50th anniversary LS 50's at the beginning of December. I completely concur with JA in Stereophile that these are "Class A for smaller rooms". They are only available on the KEF USA website, and are currently out of stock. They're small, but absolutely potent for Jazz, classical, or almost anything. The Clarity and lack of colortion is beyond belief. Knock on the side and you'd swear you were knocking on concrete. I use them with a sub, but twice I've left the sub off and didn't notice till later. Amazing reviews from multiple sources--- google 'em.
I finally got to hear them recently, a phenomenal little speaker. I want to get these as surrounds with my 205/2s for use with multichannel music. Simply amazing! Five of these with dual subs, wow.
post #7 of 31 Old 05-04-13, 07:59 PM
Shackster

My System

Those LS50 speakers sure measure great on Stereophile.
post #8 of 31 Old 09-02-13, 02:45 PM
Shackster

I got a pair on order, can't wait!
post #9 of 31 Old 10-08-13, 02:42 PM
Shackster
Stan

I've owned the 104, 104/2, 105 and now have the 107/2 speakers. My son now has the 104's and he loves them. I've been a fan of KEF's for quite a long time. Their sound just rubs my ears right.
post #10 of 31 Old 10-08-13, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
FJR
Shackster

Just got done listening to R700s. Pretty amazing speaker, pretty much what I expected except bass was even stronger than anticipated. They were new out of the box today so not yet broke in. Can see how the outer bung in one of the ports might come in handy. Had they had these when I replaced my 103/4s I may have been satisfied and not gone back to Reference. My XQ40s are doing well in surround duty. Kef should be able to bring in new blood with these for sure.