Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Outdoor speaker storage for winter?

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ndurantz 
#1 ·
Hi all. Hope this is the correct place to put this. I have a couple of Boston Acoustic Soundware indoor/outdoor speakers I installed this fall. Once it gets cold enough we won't be outside, I was thinking about taking them down & storing them just to be cautious. However, I was interested in opinions do those that have outdoor speakers. Do you just let them weather the elements during winter? I would appreciate your input.

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack

#4 ·
Thanks. I was kind of thinking that. Kansas winters can get pretty harsh & usually involve moisture, so I will bring 'em in, especially since they are mounted on an exposed deck. I took the steps to have all the speaker wire housed in waterproof electrical conduit, so removing the speakers isn't that big of deal. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack

#7 ·
I have 3 pairs of Russound's and a pair of Boston Acoustics that have been outdoors for more than 10 years now (Boston Acoustics are 15+ years old). Two pairs are under a deck, two pairs are fully exposed to the MN/WI elements - sun, wind, rain, snow, ice, sleet, 100+ temps (this summer) and -40's in the winter. I used to be finicky and took them inside the first couple years but then decided to let em tough it out. So far they continue to function perfectly with only the single pair of Boston's showing some rust on the grills.

If all you have is one pair then taking them down is probably not much hassle, with four pairs it was just one more chore every spring and fall that I decided I did not need to bother with. Besides, we do like to crank some tunes while in the hot tub - usually snowing and below zero.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.