NHT owners welcome, past and present designs - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 23 Old 06-08-06, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

NHT owners welcome, past and present designs

Hey, I own the NHT SB-2's from yesteryear's SuperAudio Series. They are a punchy speaker capable of some serious volume in medium to small sized rooms. Bass response falls off at about 50hz and upper response at around 20khz (measured with my spl meter nearfield). They do require a lot of power to perform at their peak however. You are rewarded with awesome transient response and excellent clarity, while still being a "polite" laid back speaker.

Anyone else care to share their experiences?

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-23-06, 01:44 PM
Shackster

Pupton

Re: NHT owners welcome, past and present designs

Hi Exocer,

New to the forum and just ran across your post. I've owned several NHT speakers over the years. I like a middle of the road speaker (laid back, but detailed) and the NHT's have always provided a great sound for the price. I currently have a set of 2.9's in my 2ch setup in my living room. They do need power (I'm using an upgraded Bryston 4B), but really sing if you provide them the little extra needed.

I'm fairly new to HT so I've been in learning/experiment mode. In my HT downstairs, I'm using 2.5's for mains, VT-1C center, and 1.3 's for surrounds. The VT-1C is the weak link as it's not providing the best imaging for my taste, but I picked it up for $25, so I can't complain I've shuffled way too many amps (Hafler,Parasound, B&K, Adcom) in the mix and I'm currently just using a Yamaha RX-V3000 with Hafler 500 / 220s, and this setup is doing a good job for the moment.

I've been reading some reviews on the new Classic series and would like see how they compare to my older NHT's.

Regards,

Mike
post #3 of 23 Old 07-23-06, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Welcome aboard puton!
I too am curious how the Classics compare to the series of NHTs you own..I've actually read some subjective listening in favor of the superaudio series in some cases. Apparently the new Classic series starts to shine from the 3's and up. The absolute Zeros do well in surround duty but they lack the bass necessary to be used as mains. The Classic twos, from what i've heard, are a much different speaker than other NHT 6.5" 2-way speakers in "tone" some may prefer the SB-2's and some may prefer the classics...I really wish more people would get a chance to hear NHT (properly powered) the clarity my SB2's provide is superb. Transient response is excellent, shallow roll-off of the lower frequencies makes them much easier to blend with a sub than most high-tuned ported bookshelfs...

NHT is definitely the way to go

post #4 of 23 Old 07-29-06, 01:02 PM
Shackster

Pupton

I'm thinking of finding a shop to demo the classic line. My local dealer does not stock NHT's any longer, so I'm looking to find someone within 100 miles of Columbus. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Pupton; 07-29-06 at 01:14 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-29-06, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Exciting!

post #6 of 23 Old 07-31-06, 05:57 PM
Shackster

Pupton

Well after hearing them, I've got Fours/Threes/3C coming...the mid/treble they've created really adds more than I thought it would and will be my initial setup for HT... still not sure for 2-ch...I'll experiment with 3.3s, 2.9s, Fours... I've also revcd feedback on AVS that Three's / Subs may be best option of all....so, my dad has some of my other nht's... I think I'll bring everything to my place & do a full demo of all my speakers to make a decision... I'll keep you posted...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-01-06, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Exciting! Keep us posted.
I knew the classics were as good as everyone said

post #8 of 23 Old 08-04-06, 07:33 PM
Shackster

Pupton

Here's my initial update:

Fours came today. Did a brief demo vs. my 2.9's and they did pretty much what I expected. In my 2-ch room (17x14x9), my first impression was that I had replaced my SS pre with a tube pre. Mids and High Mid-bass was more laid back than the 2.9s, especially in the 200-400Hz range. The 2.9 bass was tighter (sealed) but the Fours were not lacking, and after some rearranging, they hit the low notes very well. The Fours soundstage was a little more relaxed, but larger. Off-axis and imaging was terrific. I listened to some old vinyl recordings and boy, it sounds sweet. I could listen to them for hours at moderate to high levels and not feel fatigued. I still love my 2.9s, but the Fours show the 2.9s shortcomings.

Next up will be the 4/3/3C setup in the HT.

Mike

Last edited by Pupton; 08-05-06 at 03:36 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-05-06, 05:28 PM
Shackster

Pupton

Well my Dad just "inherited" my 2.9s for 2ch and the 2.5/1.3/VT-1C for HT.... he may join us on the forum shortly...he's the one who got me into stereo's back in the day, building the old Hafler DH-200s.

After setting up the Classics in my HT, they will stay there and sound very good with my setup... but I'm up in the air on 2-CH...

Robert, I had a chance to read up on your Natalie-P's - good stuff...maybe I should consider something different for 2-ch like your MTM's... I like some of RAD's designs too... I think I got the theory down to build a DIY speaker, but I'm not the best at woodworking so I've steered away from this route for some time...anyway.. time to think about it some...

Mike

Last edited by Pupton; 08-06-06 at 07:37 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-06-06, 05:08 PM
Shackster
Nick

I too own(ed) the SB-2s. I bought them when I was headed off to college because I found them for 1/2 price from an authorized retailer. This was just before I really got into the AV stuff, and so I knew they were supposed to be good, but had never heard them; I just needed a bookshelf speaker to take with me since I couldn't fit my Klipsch SF-2s in my dorm room. When they showed up, damned if i didn't prefer them to my Klipsch!

They, for me, truly were the start to the obssession we all share. They may have saved me money at the time (being 1/2 price), but boy oh boy that didn't transfer in the long run.

As a note, my brother now has them. I have since built my own design of bookshelves.