Rear speaker placement dilemma - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 09-24-07, 08:37 AM
Elite Shackster
Steven

Re: Rear speaker placement dilemma

Quote:
DemRoyer wrote: View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Steven. Actually, I am using dipoles for the surround speakers, but was concerned about moving them higher than the recommendation (2 feet). I think ultimately moving them higher may be the route I have to take if I want them located farther back in the room.
I have a better understanding now. In my opinion (IMO) you should be fine especially using some dipoles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 09-24-07, 11:23 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
DemRoyer wrote: View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Steven. Actually, I am using dipoles for the surround speakers, but was concerned about moving them higher than the recommendation (2 feet). I think ultimately moving them higher may be the route I have to take if I want them located farther back in the room.
You may have to apply a little ingenuity to the wall brackets so the DS6's are angled down towards the listening position. Hopefully this will be a satisfactory solution to your problem. Let us know how it turns out.

post #13 of 18 Old 09-24-07, 09:45 PM
DemRoyer
Inactive

I appreciate all the responses I got from everyone. I think I am going to go ahead and experiment with raising the dipoles (to avoid shoulder collisions) and moving the left one back to the recommended location next to the listening position. Hopefully the disparity in distance to the front wall will not muddy the effects too much, but my receiver should be able to adequetely compensate for that. Here is a modified version of my room layout that shows where the final placement will be - I'll let everyone know how it turns out!
Attached Thumbnails
Rear speaker placement dilemma-family_room_av2.jpg  

post #14 of 18 Old 11-12-07, 10:29 PM
DemRoyer
Inactive

All,

Just a quick follow-up to this post. After almost a 2-month delay, I've finally re-arranged the rear speakers in my room to match the diagram posted above. After making the change, I modified the distance values for each speaker in my receiver's menu and used a Radio Shack sound level meter and my receiver's built-in test tones to ensure that all channels are set to 75db. After that I fired up a few movie scenes that usually highlight the effectiveness of the rear speakers (Superbit version of Bram Stoker's Dracula is good for this due to some of the subtle surround effects). I was very pleased with the results, and felt fully immersed in the action. I'm still a little paranoid that I could be missing something because the speakers are so high now (I raised the height so that everyone could stop banging into them with their shoulder), but I am pretty confident that I am now achieving a more optimal surround experience. At the very least, this will do the trick until a better opportunity presents itself.

Thanks again for all the advice - I have become a dedicated Home Theater Shack patron since posting here, and have picked up lots of great tips.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-13-07, 02:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Hi Dem, Without reading all the posts in this thread You would be far better off if you placed the rear surrounds on the back wall of the room just to the inside of the two doors you show.
The entire point of surround is to "surround" the people in the room with the full sound of the movie. The B&Ws can be placed just above head hight (when standing) on the rear wall and angled down to fire at the back sofa. This will give you far better results than what you have now.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #16 of 18 Old 11-14-07, 05:26 AM
Brad

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Hi Dem, Without reading all the posts in this thread You would be far better off if you placed the rear surrounds on the back wall of the room just to the inside of the two doors you show.
The entire point of surround is to "surround" the people in the room with the full sound of the movie. The B&Ws can be placed just above head hight (when standing) on the rear wall and angled down to fire at the back sofa. This will give you far better results than what you have now.

This is my first reading of the post and I am with Tony on this right on either side of those doors is where I would have placed them to start with.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-14-07, 10:28 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

I would have place them in the rear corners. I know in my room the rear corners work better than the sides... not sure why, but they do.

Another thing I would consider is rearranging your front stage. Not sure if you have completed any REW measurements on your sub, but I bet you'd get much lower extension due to room gain if you placed your sub in that corner. Then move the AV rack to the other corner and get your mains out from being so close to the side walls. Just a thought and something you might experiment with.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-14-07, 12:34 PM

I'm pretty sure that you enjoy the sound that you've achieved with your setup. I like having a symmetrical room, so I think that I would've moved the sofa up a foot or two and have the LS inline with the RS.

If that isn't an option then I'd have to agree with the posts above. Place the Surround speakers just on the inside of the doors or even above the doorways pointing to the sofa.