$2,500 Speaker Evaluation Candidate Nominations - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 149 Old 09-02-13, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
$2,500 Speaker Evaluation Candidate Nominations

We had soooo much fun doing the $1,000 speakers evaluation, we are going to have a $2,500 speaker evaluation... consisting of a maximum of 5 (five) speakers costing no more than $2,500. Likely we will stay in the cost frame of $2,000 - $2,500.

These are not necessarily for me, but we will have a voting poll and winning speaker like we did on the $1,000 event. I won't say that I ain't gonna keep a pair... you never know. They will have to be awfully good, no doubt. Just in case, we will stick with black in a non-sheen finish. We must be able to power them with the Rogue Cronus Magnum Integrated Tube Amp at about 100 WPC.

Tentatively I have on my short list the following:

MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL at $2,195

Tekton Pendragon at $2,499

Emerald Physics CS2P at $2,490 (thru Underwood HiFi with discount)

Those are just a few I am thinking about for now... nothing definite, but one thing we did learn is that even with two day there just isn't time for more than about 4-5 pairs of speakers. Maybe we do 5 this round and then have another round with 5 and then have two speakers go head to head. At any rate, we are going to limit the number of speakers to a max of 5 for this round. It will likely be on up in the Fall/Winter before we do this... possibly November/December or even January/February. Nothing like preparing ahead of time.

EDIT: Once we get up 10-12 nominees (or more)... we will have a poll to select the top 5 for this event.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 Old 09-02-13, 04:26 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: $2,500 Speaker Evaluation Candidates

I would like to suggest the Salk Songtowers - they would be the ones with the QWT tweeters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 149 Old 09-02-13, 05:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Should we assume the Tekton's and Martin Logan's faired well in the two channel shoot out? Just guessing since they're already on your short list.

post #4 of 149 Old 09-02-13, 05:50 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
I like the idea of separate rounds and comparing the winners.
post #5 of 149 Old 09-02-13, 08:13 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

I'd love to hear how the Song Towers stack up. Some others I'd like to see up for consideration;
RBH Sound 1044-SE in Black Oak, right at the price limit but a great speaker.
Revel Concerta F12 in Black Oak, quite a bit below the limit but I'll bet it can hold it's own.

Mark
post #6 of 149 Old 09-02-13, 09:10 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...Tower+Speakers
These RF-7's are $2k to the door with TV15 code in the cart
post #7 of 149 Old 09-02-13, 09:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Would the SVS ultra towers fit in this category? I think they would make good competition.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #8 of 149 Old 09-02-13, 09:28 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
What are the parameters of this evaluation? If this is for movies I think the Klipsch rf-7 ii's would be hard to beat at $2k.
post #9 of 149 Old 09-02-13, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

This is again strictly music with the Rogue tube amp. I have a Audio Space Galaxy 88 coming, but it is not as powerful as the Rogue, so the Rogue will handle the amp duties.

The RF-7's would definitely be interesting, but I am not sure we could get the II's at $2,500 or less. I think they retail for $3,200.

I don't think I would go for the Revel, but the RBH look interesting.

The SVS Ultra's would fit at $2,000/pair. We heard those at CAF and they sounded impressive too. They aim those woofers at odd angles intentionally and it would be interesting to hear them in my room.

If we went with the Songtowers, I think I would want the ribbon tweeter upgrade, which would kick it above the $2,500 mark.

Jeff... I think all the speakers fared well, but you know I own ML stats now, so it only makes sense to include those. I suggested the Pendragons because of their recent popularity. I may try to get the full HT setup in the house at that time so I can do a full review on those. May as well include them in the two-channel round-up while they are here.

With as many out there as there are, it probably does make sense to have two rounds of 5 each, then on the second round we could have the winner of the first round back in for the finale.
post #10 of 149 Old 09-02-13, 10:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
The rf-7 ii's retail for $2400/pr but Chashint provided a link with a coupon code that would deliver them at $2k. They could make things interesting. I listened to a pair while auditioning speakers and they are impressive. Just sayin…