$2,500 Speaker Evaluation Event - Nominated Speakers Voting Poll - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: What speakers would you like to see in the $2,500 speakers evaluation event?
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower (RAAL Tweeter) 399 20.61%
Anthony Gallo Classico CL-4 153 7.90%
Canton Ergo 690 DC 149 7.70%
Definitive Tech BP-8080ST 271 14.00%
Dynaudio DM 3/7 533 27.53%
Golden Ear Triton Two 339 17.51%
GT Audio Works GTA 1 38 1.96%
Magnepan 1.7 545 28.15%
MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL 597 30.84%
Paradigm Studio 60 565 29.18%
Philharmonic Slim Tower 135 6.97%
RBH Sound 1266-SE 79 4.08%
Salk Songtowers RT (RAAL Tweeter) 357 18.44%
Tannoy Precision 6.2 433 22.37%
Tekton Seas Pendragon 199 10.28%
Vandersteen 2ce Signature ll 307 15.86%
Von Schweikert VR-22 192 9.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1936. You may not vote on this poll

post #91 of 275 Old 09-13-13, 08:28 AM
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Re: $2,500 Speaker Evaluation Event - Nominated Speakers Voting Poll

I like to see the biggest performance from the smallest size. Now I have to go research all of these for chassis dimensions. Honey, I'll be in the office..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 275 Old 09-13-13, 08:30 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
jaypeecee wrote: View Post
Hello Home Theater Enthusiasts,

I would not choose any of these speakers. Instead, I am drawn to high fidelity products rather than fashionable names.

JPC
What would be your recommendations? What is your definition of high fidelity?
post #93 of 275 Old 09-13-13, 08:54 AM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

I'd love to see the Maggies vs. Logans!

The other brand I picked was DefTech.

post #94 of 275 Old 09-13-13, 08:59 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Quote:
jaypeecee wrote: View Post
Hello Home Theater Enthusiasts,

I would not choose any of these speakers. Instead, I am drawn to high fidelity products rather than fashionable names.

JPC
Interesting that you throw this out there without a single example of what you like.
Keeping in mind there is a price cap on the speakers the proposed line up is pretty salty.
Of course there are many more choices at this price point so toss out what you perceive as being superior.
post #95 of 275 Old 09-13-13, 09:21 AM
Shackster

My System

Look at all the votes for Dynaudio and Tannoy....must be a bunch of Europeans voting!

I jest, since I was the one that originally suggested adding the Tannoy. Still, interesting to see the results so far.
post #96 of 275 Old 09-13-13, 11:02 AM
Senior Shackster
John

Would like to see Seaton Catalyst, BF David, JTR Noesis, Geddes Abbey (or pref. Summa), whatever Revels you can get in that price range, Parts Express/Audio Artistry CBT36K.

Also would like to see fully blinded testing with single speakers (mono).

I'd also still like to know why we build castles in the sky.
post #97 of 275 Old 09-13-13, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

A couple of others that we need to consider for the next round are the Bamberg Series 2 TMM ... and Pi Speakers... both would be very interesting additions.

Quote:
admranger wrote: View Post
I do question your sanity having another test so soon after the first marathon session.
I have never tried heroin, but suspect it is along the same lines... we are now addicted and we have just GOT to have a fix. As Wayne asked after we started these gigs... "And people need drugs?" Seriously... it is the best high there is... and it last for a full couple of days. The anxiousness leading up to it is a high. Of course getting to keep the speakers in my home after the event is a lingering high.

Quote:
mortak wrote: View Post
i wonder why you donīt add the " Funktion One " brand to the contest , i my opinion is the best tech for audio design:
Those look like commercial speakers for commercial use.

Quote:
Queball wrote: View Post
Sad to see that there is not a Klipsch option in there. Don't know what groupings are being combined for the $2500 number, but would love to see the Klipsch RF-7ii series in there.
The RF-7's were considered, but we capped the MSRP at $3,000... so they did not make the cut.

Quote:
aackthpt wrote: View Post
Would like to see Seaton Catalyst, BF David, JTR Noesis, Geddes Abbey (or pref. Summa), whatever Revels you can get in that price range, Parts Express/Audio Artistry CBT36K.
We need to get them in on the nominations next time, although we did look at Revels and they don't have any in that range. The JTR's require stands, which is an additional expense that may put them over the $3,000 cap... but not sure. I am not familiar with the others, but if they fit the qualifications, we can certainly include them in the next round of voting. We also have to consider if they will be willing to participate. Some will pony up... some will run and hide.

Quote:
Also would like to see fully blinded testing with single speakers (mono).
I am not sure what purpose this will serve. Who listens to one speaker in mono? Enlighten me... with all seriousness.

Quote:
I'd also still like to know why we build castles in the sky.
It's a secret!
post #98 of 275 Old 09-13-13, 01:50 PM

Hi all,

As a Brit, I am particularly interested in seeing the Tannoy and Dynaudio included as these are readily available in the UK. Either way, seems an interesting and varied list to compare, so looking forward to seeing the end opinions and results.

Fred.
post #99 of 275 Old 09-13-13, 01:53 PM
Senior Shackster
John

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
I am not sure what purpose this will serve. Who listens to one speaker in mono? Enlighten me... with all seriousness.
Floyd Toole's book goes through research that indicates that monophonic listening demonstrates a greater difference between loudspeakers, as shown for example on page 133 from a study he published in 1985. I can post the figure if you like. On page 137 he notes "A loudspeaker that sounds good in a monophonic comparison is likely to sound good in a stereo comparison, but the reverse is not necessarily true. Evaluate your loudspeakers in monophonic comparisons (to find out what you really have). Demonstrate your loudspeakers in stereo or, presumably, multichannel (to impress everybody)." I am not at all sure if he was suggesting one speaker in the center, or running one speaker in the position it would be in a stereo pair. If you are interested I can reread, figure it out, and post it. Toole's book was incredibly enlightening in terms of understanding audio, and how perceptual effects interact with system design and setup.

I'm not at all sure all acoustic people at that level would agree. For example Earl Geddes has a significantly different take on ideal loudspeaker dispersion etc, even though they would presumably both be familiar with the same body of research. However Toole wrote the most cogent and scientific exposition of such things with which I'm familiar and I (currently) find most of his points convincing.
post #100 of 275 Old 09-13-13, 01:57 PM
Senior Shackster
John

Quote:
The JTR's require stands, which is an additional expense that may put them over the $3,000 cap... but not sure.
Dude, are you really a redneck? Because cement blocks make excellent stands. Paint them if you don't like the color!