The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 108 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1071 of 1088 Old 05-13-14, 11:16 AM

Re: The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Wayne has those too and that review should be forthcoming not too long from now.
Did I miss the EM-ESL review somewhere? I've been looking but can't seem to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1072 of 1088 Old 05-13-14, 11:22 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

I don't think you've missed it. I've been checking every few days myself, waiting with baited breath. I guess you can't rush Wayne, and really there's no reason to because, if history is any guide, when it comes out it will be really in-depth and worth the wait.

I suppose it will be with other reviews when it is published. That would be in the General Shack Area > Home Theater, Audio and Video Equipment Reviews > Speaker and Subwoofer Reviews.
post #1073 of 1088 Old 09-21-14, 02:37 AM
Shackster

My System

Who won?

post #1074 of 1088 Old 09-21-14, 09:04 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

It wasn't about winning or losing...it was more about extoling the virtures of each speakers design based on a given format. All speakers have their strengths & weaknesses, depending on what you like in a speaker & given your room responce, might give you some insight into a speaker(s) to listen to.

That being said, sometimes it's not too hard to tell if somebody liked a particular speaker.
post #1075 of 1088 Old 09-21-14, 09:39 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Exactly. Every one of the speakers that we reviewed would be a winner for someone. And a loser for some other. The first of our group reviews was intended ton find one winner, but it was in the context of what Sonnie wanted for his priorities, in his room, with his equipment choices. Even that one ended up being very hard to decide.

Speakers vary in so many ways that it is impossible to say one is better than the other in any objective sense. We all have different ideas of what sounds good, where speakers can or should be placed, expectations for dynamics and bass extension, aesthetics, and design preferences.

As a reviewer it is very difficult to impart an understanding of the product without filtering through one's own perception and preferences. What we tried to do was focus on getting the best out of each speaker with optimum placement and exploring what each did well, and not so well, under the same conditions to the degree practical. You have to read the reviews of each to get a window on that experience and to get some idea of how each speaker might work for you or might not.

All of the speakers we reviewed have an appeal to someone and do lots of things right. There are also dozens more that we did not review that are just as good in some way, or maybe better. We did not intend to end up with a one step buying guide, just to make a dent in the problem of our readers better understanding a wide array of speakers. And have some fun. As Tonto will confirm, it certainly was that.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #1076 of 1088 Old 09-21-14, 11:28 AM
Senior Shackster

Dale

Very nice selection. I wish there were more local places to audition these on my own. But living vicariously through the reviewers has to be the next best thing. And each pair is a gem in it's own right.

Samsung PN51F8500, Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA5, Dali Ikon6, Vokal 2 center, OnWalls, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, Oppo Digital BDP-103, Furman Elite 15PF power conditioner
post #1077 of 1088 Old 09-21-14, 11:45 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

It was a blast, and a pure joy to meet you guys in person. If I walked away with anything, it was realizing how a room can really effect a speakers sound. There are several compaines that allow for in home demo, some even offer return shipping. While it is a bit of expence, comparing "in house" is the best way to evaluate a speaker. Coodos to Sonnie & HTS for putting this on.

Hopefuly there will be more!!! A bookshelf eval would sure be nice!!! Hint, hint, hint.
post #1078 of 1088 Old 09-21-14, 01:32 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

+1. I get the feeling though that Sonnie was spearheading this and that current management is not similarly motivated. Hoping I am wrong on that. I was actually reading some of the $3000 event last night and was reminded of just how interesting and insightful these events were.
post #1079 of 1088 Old 09-21-14, 01:40 PM
Senior Shackster
Myles

Just a guess, but I don't think any speaker manufacturer wants to be involved in a "shoot-out" for fear of not being #1, or shudder, coming in last. And all based on an arbitrary group of dudes (and ladies?). Now this group was obviously incredibly professional and the results of a shoot-out would likely be applicable to a wide ranging audience. But the manufacturers have no way of knowing how good any particular "group of dudes" will conduct what needs to be a very scientific study.

*Now*, that said, I disagree with those who say "there can be no winner". I think if you take ~ > 5 experienced listeners and give them excellent review conditions, preferably with the ability to blindly A/B switch. Then give them let's say 100 points to allocate among the transducers as they see fit. Then add up the points and publish. I think it would be a reasonably good buying guide for those not able to do a study like this themselves.

So I think it's possible to conduct a good shootout, in theory. But who among us has enough money to buy 6 $2500 speakers for testing purposes and then set up an excellent experiment as described above? Don't go looking for submissions from manufacturers. Like I said above, no matter their confidence level, they're all scared to death sales will plummet when they wind up in the middle or bottom of the list -- in a situation that's out of their control. In fact, I wouldn't even put it past a deep-pocketed manufacturer to sue a shoot-out publisher for misrepresenting their product and harming their ability to earn.

Possible in theory? Yes. Practical? Nope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- SOLD!

post #1080 of 1088 Old 09-21-14, 03:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Your concerns regarding manufacturer participation depend mainly on how well know. The study is.