$3,000 Speaker Evaluation Event - Nominated Speakers Voting Poll - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

View Poll Results: Which six pair of speakers would you like to see in the $3,000 Speaker Evaluation Event?
$2,600 - Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower (RAAL Tweeter) 277 21.61%
$2,500 - Anthony Gallo Classico CL-4 122 9.52%
$3,000 - Atlantic Technology AT-1 104 8.11%
$3,200 - Axiom Audio LFR660 High Powered 166 12.95%
$3,000 - B&W CM9 508 39.63%
$2,800 - Bamberg Series 2 TMM 24 1.87%
$2,600 - Boston Acoustics M350 163 12.71%
$3,400 - Canton Vento 870.2 DC 98 7.64%
$3,000 - Definitive Tech BP-8080ST 177 13.81%
$3,400 - Dynaudio Excite 34 284 22.15%
$3,300 - Focal Aria 926 283 22.07%
$3,000 - Golden Ear Triton Two 262 20.44%
$2,700 - GT Audio Works GTA 1 26 2.03%
$2,600 - KEF R500 345 26.91%
$3,000 - Legacy Expression 113 8.81%
$2,500 - Monitor Audio Silver RX-10 214 16.69%
$2,700 - Odyssey Lorelei 50 3.90%
$2,900 - Phase Technology PC9.5 70 5.46%
$2,700 - Philharmonic Slim Tower 108 8.42%
$3,000 - Polk Audio LSiM705 252 19.66%
$3,500 - PSB Imagine T2 223 17.39%
$2,600 - RBH Sound 1266-SE 37 2.89%
$3,200 - Rega RS7 62 4.84%
$3,500 - Revel F206 207 16.15%
$3,500 - Salk Songtowers SC 264 20.59%
$3,500 - Soundfield Audio VSFT-1 53 4.13%
$3,200 - Tannoy Precision 6.4 255 19.89%
$2,500 - Tekton Seas Pendragon 136 10.61%
$3,500 - Thiel SCS4T 218 17.00%
$3,000 - Totem Acoustic Hawk 143 11.15%
$2,900 - Usher CP-6371 96 7.49%
$3,500 - Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE 205 15.99%
$2,900 - Von Schweikert VR-22 139 10.84%
$3,200 - Wharfdale Jade 5 209 16.30%
$3,200 - Zu Audio Omen Def 128 9.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1282. You may not vote on this poll

post #81 of 450 Old 12-24-13, 11:24 AM
Shackster

Re: $3,000 Speaker Evaluation Event - Nominated Speakers Voting Poll

Quote:
Ratamacue wrote: View Post
Being the CM9's are so readily available (for sometime now), I'm surprised to see such a large interest? They're nice speakers for sure, but out of this entire list to choose from, wow . Looking forward to the Dynaudio and a Revel
Well, I voted for the CM9s partly because B&Ws have always been on my radar, even though I really can't afford the ones I lust after (the 802s for some reason resonate with my inner Dalek ).

And from another point of view: if folks are familiar with a particular model, including it in the evaluations will provide some sense of baseline performance. Otherwise the evaluator comments might be like a voltage with a floating ground: it is a value, but not relative to anything...

shinksma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 450 Old 12-24-13, 10:53 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

I'll be very interested to see how the Sierra Tower with RAAL compares to the B+W CM9 that everyone is clamoring for.
Ascend makes good stuff, but B&W is way more well known, and costs $400 more.

My bet is the Sierra holds it's own.

Buying more cheap stuff to get better sound is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.

Last edited by muzz; 12-24-13 at 11:01 PM.
post #83 of 450 Old 12-25-13, 10:17 PM
Shackster

I was hoping to see more 'interesting' speakers end up with the votes. I suppose that the speakers with the least avant-garde technology will rise to the top in a popularity contest. One can read many, many reviews of the speakers with large marketing budgets on the web, so I'd rather read about those that don't get as much press.

Of course, I'll take the down-to-earth reviews that come out of these threads than on most other sites, any day.

post #84 of 450 Old 12-26-13, 11:11 AM
Shackster

I'd love to see Ascend in there....
post #85 of 450 Old 12-26-13, 01:08 PM
Shackster
Maq

Quote:
balor1eye wrote: View Post
I was hoping to see more 'interesting' speakers end up with the votes. I suppose that the speakers with the least avant-garde technology will rise to the top in a popularity contest. One can read many, many reviews of the speakers with large marketing budgets on the web, so I'd rather read about those that don't get as much press.
I agree with this. I haven't had a chance to chew through the list to see what-is-what yet, but my vote is for Geddes Nathan and anything that might be comparable.
post #86 of 450 Old 12-26-13, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Maybe for the next round we take the least voted for speakers... or maybe us four panelist pick one each that we personally think is unique and then take the two with the lowest votes.
post #87 of 450 Old 12-26-13, 01:23 PM
Senior Shackster
Erin

Quote:
balor1eye wrote: View Post

Of course, I'll take the down-to-earth reviews that come out of these threads than on most other sites, any day.

I can't speak for all the speakers listed but I can say this: the Kef is anything but standard. It's engineering is the best I've come across in all my testing of raw drivers over the last few years. Testing that has covered the gamut of inexpensive Vifa to very expensive Dyn Audio drive units.

Kef has a white paper on their concentric which the R-series employs numerous design features of that will make anyone who really admires this hobby from the science perspective happy.
http://www.vegalab.ru/forum/attachme...0&d=1274426702

I do agree, it's a shame the Geddes offerings were overlooked. And I mean "overlooked" in the most sincere way. I, too, completely forget about those speakers from time to time. I'd imagine they're just not on most people's minds, other than in the DIY crowd where they're more talked about.

Given Geddes' and Kefs' drive toward CD performance, it would be interesting to put those head to head.

Last edited by Erin H; 12-26-13 at 01:32 PM.
post #88 of 450 Old 12-26-13, 01:44 PM
Senior Shackster
Erin

To Wayne, I appreciate you providing the raw measurement data in the $2500 speaker review thread. Will you be doing that again? I think that would be really great to have.

Also, I CERTAINLY appreciate your measurements so don't take this as anything more than a question/suggestion... Would you also provide quasi-anechoic measurements? I'm assuming you know what I mean here, given your previous testing. Nothing more than 1m, 3ms or so gated response, enough to get you down to 300hz resolution. No need for near field mic'ing, since the room is so dominant here.

The reason I ask this specifically is to separate the 'anechoic' response from the averaged head-window response you already provide. It may seem like I'm asking just to ask, but the reasons are huge indicators of performance and will better serve to justify why a speaker was subjectively critiqued the way it was. These two together would really paint the picture of what the speaker itself is contributing. In lower end response, this isn't as big of a deal, but it's certainly useful information to have as you go above the Schroeder frequency. And if you could provide a couple off-axis measurements as well that would be a HUGE benefit. It would show us problem areas in sound power (ie; hole in the response due to poor crossover networks), potential issues with modal ringing, etc. I understand it would take a bit more time and you guys are already crunched, but if you can manage to fit that in, I think you'd be providing some of the best information in any review I've seen thus far. The caliber of the testing you guys are going to be doing combined with that information would literally take this review to the level that Stereophile mag has been doing, which is far beyond what most other forum reviewers ever provide.

Just my $.02 and encouragement to keep on, keepin' on!

Thanks, Wayne.

- Erin
post #89 of 450 Old 12-26-13, 04:31 PM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Maybe for the next round we take the least voted for speakers... or maybe us four panelist pick one each that we personally think is unique and then take the two with the lowest votes.
Or maybe you could declare yourself king, pick whatever pleases his majesty and let the peasants clamor away.

Seriously, the whole process was clear and HTS members have spoken. As a bottom feeder, I don't feel slighted in the least (of course I don't do this for a living either) and I don't think it would be fair for the "mid pack" to get skipped over (receiving 2 to 3 times as many votes), while the the least popular (or not involved, like the Abbeys) got selected, due to maybe paying attention to polars, DI, sound power, compression or whatever, i.e., things that will physically affect the soundfield>ears in real rooms/systems. Luckily it seems the KEF may have made the cut, so some semblance of that will be at the party.
As Olive demonstrated, yellow cones can trump all that. Also as I noted previously, no one dumped their 802s and raced out to buy 360s, after they got punked badly in the Harman controlled tests. That is simply the reality of the market. Give the buyer what they really want.
The needs of the many (should) outweigh the needs of the few. In fairness.

Now did I mention something about being King?

cheers

AJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #90 of 450 Old 12-26-13, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I will just continue being a lowly servant... a happy lowly servant. Okay... a happy hillbilly redneck lowly servant. Honor to our members.
Closed Thread