Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C Powered Home Theater Loudspeaker Discussion Thread - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 67 Old 01-04-14, 04:48 PM
Shackster
Paul

Quote:
Dwight Angus wrote: View Post
Congrats Paul. You must be busting waiting for the Seatons. I would be very interested in your thoughts once you get them setup. I am thinking about a Seaton speaker upgrade myself & looking to digest as much information on 8c/12c setup as I can get my hands on.

Enjoy
Thanks guys.

My ability to wax lyrically is much less than these other fine fellows, but as is arbitrary with a Seaton purchase, I will see what I can do when they arrive to encourage the next Seaton sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 Old 01-06-14, 06:32 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Re: Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C Powered Home Theater Loudspeaker Discussion Thread

Quote:
K1LL3M wrote: View Post
Thanks guys.

My ability to wax lyrically is much less than these other fine fellows, but as is arbitrary with a Seaton purchase, I will see what I can do when they arrive to encourage the next Seaton sale
Appreciate it. Do you have an ETA yet?

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -4 x Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/2 x Marantz M7025's
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #23 of 67 Old 01-06-14, 08:56 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

WOW Kill3m I wish I lived closer.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.

post #24 of 67 Old 01-07-14, 05:10 PM
Shackster

Audioguy

Great review.

While I have not heard the 8C, I do own three 12C's (along with 4 SubMersives and 4 Sparks). I will assume that the 8C is voiced like the 12C in these comments.

I purchased the Cats PRIMARILY for 2 channel and my view of their strengths (and weaknesses) in this area differ a bit from those expressed in the review. However, (1) my room is VERY heavily treated and (2) I use digital room correction (DiracLive running on my music server). But even without the room correction, I don't find them as in your face as some. And I agree that toeing out is a good idea (but more for soundstage width than anything else).

II would agree that these speakers are anything but polite. Lousy recording equal lousy playback. My speakers prior to the Cats were Dunlavy SC-VI's. I had also owned Wilson, Thiel, B&W, et al.

As a point of reference, it became clear to me a long time ago that there is no home audio system in the known or unknown Universe at any price that can actually sound like live music. I used to think that a small jazz group could be fairly well approximated --- until my wife hired a 3 piece jazz group for my last birthday. They played in our home and I instantly realized that while we are closer than we were 30 years ago in approximating live, we are still a zillion miles away. An audio buddy was in attendance who owns $175,000 2 channel system (easily the best I have ever heard) and he would totally agree with the inability to re-create live.

Given that, I decided to pursue "fun" in place of "accurate". In that regard, there is no better 2 channel music system I have heard that is more "fun" that the Seaton Catalysts.

And for home theater, easily the best I have ever heard. I have no doubt you can get better but probably at 2 to 10 times the price.

Great products (and Mark is a great guy).

Current Theater:

Last edited by Audioguy; 01-23-14 at 09:06 PM.
post #25 of 67 Old 01-08-14, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
Audioguy wrote: View Post
As a point of reference, it became clear to me a long time ago that there is no home audio system in the known or unknown Universe at any price that can actually sound like live music. I used to think that a small jazz group could be fairly well approximated --- until my wife hired a 3 piece jazz group for my last birthday. They played in our home and I instantly realized that while we are closer than we were 30 years ago in approximating live, we are still a zillion miles away. An audio buddy was in attendance who owns $175,000 2 channel system (easily the best I have ever heard) and he would totally agree with the inability to re-create live.
Well put. As soon as you set up a microphone and start to record, you are changing the sound. Accuracy is always relative to some artificial standard.

Quote:
Given that, I decided to pursue "fun" in place of "accurate". In that regard, there is no better 2 channel music system I have heard that is more "fun" that the Seaton Catalysts.
Looks like you have tried the best, whatever that means (artificial standards again). You get no argument from me.
post #26 of 67 Old 01-08-14, 02:05 AM
Shackster
Paul

Quote:
Appreciate it. Do you have an ETA yet?
Not yet, just waiting to hear from Mark, but should be here soon (ish). Last I heard it was about to leave.

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
WOW Kill3m I wish I lived closer.
Dont let that stop you dropping around anytime.
post #27 of 67 Old 01-08-14, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

A couple of errors in the specs have been corrected. Thanks again for the heads up.
post #28 of 67 Old 01-08-14, 08:31 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Much thanks to Wayne for putting the whole review together - it was a great experience for all of us and in the end one that lightened my wallet a bit.

I am waiting on the stands to be completed to get my new 8cs put in the theater - hopefully that will be within the next couple weeks - and I will make sure to post back impressions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #29 of 67 Old 01-08-14, 08:40 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Much thanks to Wayne for putting the whole review together - it was a great experience for all of us and in the end one that lightened my wallet a bit.

I am waiting on the stands to be completed to get my new 8cs put in the theater - hopefully that will be within the next couple weeks - and I will make sure to post back impressions.
Congratulations Joe on the 8C's. Looking forward to reading your impressions of them. I am considering them for my next HT speaker upgrade. Not sure what model I should be considering (8c vs 12c). My HT is 3200 cubic feet & is well treated. I will also need 4 sparks for surrounds. Currently going through learning curve to better understand Mark's product offerings and how each option could fit into my setup.

Good luck with the install

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -4 x Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/2 x Marantz M7025's
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #30 of 67 Old 01-08-14, 08:47 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Congratulations Joe on the 8C's. Looking forward to reading your impressions of them. I am considering them for my next HT speaker upgrade. Not sure what model I should be considering (8c vs 12c). My HT is 3200 cubic feet & is well treated. I will also need 4 sparks for surrounds. Currently going through learning curve to better understand Mark's product offerings and how each option could fit into my setup.

Good luck with the install
Wish I could do the Sparks, but I do not have the outlets in a location necessary to get them. For your sized room, you could do the 12cs I think. The 8s did just fine in Sonnie's room as well, so I think you are in the size area where you could really do either. My room is only about 1900-2000 cubic feet so the 12cs would be a bit much for me...