Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C Powered Home Theater Loudspeaker Discussion Thread - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 67 Old 01-08-14, 09:14 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Re: Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C Powered Home Theater Loudspeaker Discussion Thread

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Wish I could do the Sparks, but I do not have the outlets in a location necessary to get them. For your sized room, you could do the 12cs I think. The 8s did just fine in Sonnie's room as well, so I think you are in the size area where you could really do either. My room is only about 1900-2000 cubic feet so the 12cs would be a bit much for me...
I have the same situation regarding outlets so I will probably get an electrician to relocate existing ones up higher on walls for side surrounds. I run DSX wide channels as well so need to relocate outlets for those too.
What surrounds will you use with the C8's?

Mains- Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Back Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50c's
Atmos -4 x Goldenear HTR 7000's
Amps- Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5/2 x Marantz M7025's
Processor-Marantz AV7703 Preamp
Projector- Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 01-08-14, 09:45 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I am going to stick with my Salk SongSurround Is for now - hopefully, at some point Mark decides to make a passive version and I may consider swapping to those....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #33 of 67 Old 01-08-14, 10:10 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
I am going to stick with my Salk SongSurround Is for now - hopefully, at some point Mark decides to make a passive version and I may consider swapping to those....
I must admit I have a steep learning curve with the Seaton products but being active speakers can you use passive surrounds with them? I read the active speakers are very quick and passive when used in combination with them may lag. Not sure if that makes any sense. If passive surrounds can be used I would rather use my existing SVS MBS-01s as surrounds in the short term to reduce overall costs. Longer term I would upgrade to the active sparks when funds become available.

Just wondering what passive surrounds sound like with active LCR?

post #34 of 67 Old 01-08-14, 01:32 PM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

Quote:
Dwight Angus wrote: View Post
I read the active speakers are very quick and passive when used in combination with them may lag. Not sure if that makes any sense.
It doesn't.
You can use any combination of active and passive you like.

cheers

AJ

post #35 of 67 Old 01-08-14, 02:37 PM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Quote:
ajinfla wrote: View Post
It doesn't.
You can use any combination of active and passive you like.

cheers
Ok good to know. Cheers

post #36 of 67 Old 01-12-14, 09:15 AM
Shackster

Just want too say i enjoyed this excellent review. Its nice to read a professional review on the products you own. 3 Cat12c 4 Cat8c 2 submersive hp . I am almost ready to finally get my system up and running again. I just finished room treatments. Now have to just figure out the best locations for L&R and subs then run Audyssey XT32 then check with omini mic. From reading the review on Audyssey set up i have never read about only taking 3 measurements even from the home page on Audyssey and other Audyssey forums. I was wandering if you could explain in more detail about why you think 3 measurements are better than The Audyssey recommended amount of measurements. Also were did the 3 measurements take place in listening area. Here is what you said in review

Imaging and Soundstage

Only three measurements points were taken around the listening position for the Audyssey MultEQ setup, so timing information was preserved in the way that lends itself to good soundstage and imaging within the 5.1 context. It is intriguing how few home theater systems using Audyssey MultEQ, which is very capable of preserving imaging information when set up properly, do not make use of the techniques that will accomplish it. The result in our case was a sound delivery system that was clear, concise, and presented music and sound effects with sharp accuracy, snap, and impact.

If any one up here in Ontario is thinking about buying a Seaton product and wants to see the actual true size of these products would like to come for a listen just contact me.

Mike
post #37 of 67 Old 01-12-14, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Thanks for the feedback.

On Audyssey MultEQ, I should clarify: We used three measurement points, closely spaced, for a quick check and were satisfied with the result. Even with only three measurements points, if properly placed, it is surprising how good the imaging and sound stage can be. For regular use, I recommend using all eight points available. This is shown in detail for the end of our Audyssey Guide. Thanks again for your comments and questions.
post #38 of 67 Old 01-12-14, 03:32 PM
Shackster
Paul

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

On Audyssey MultEQ, I should clarify: We used three measurement points, closely spaced, for a quick check and were satisfied with the result. Even with only three measurements points, if properly placed, it is surprising how good the imaging and sound stage can be. For regular use, I recommend using all eight points available. This is shown in detail for the end of our Audyssey Guide. Thanks again for your comments and questions.
Ah! I'd read it the same as above in that the use of the 3 point calibration, instead of 8 was a deliberate choice, made because it was better for imaging.

It appears now though that your imaging reference you made was to the use of audyssey, not the 3 measurement positions.
post #39 of 67 Old 01-12-14, 05:29 PM
Shackster

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for clarifying. I am new to Audyssey set ups. Look forward too checking out this site. Lots of reading to do.
post #40 of 67 Old 01-23-14, 05:17 PM
Shackster
Zman

Quote:
Audioguy wrote: View Post
As a point of reference, it became clear to me a long time ago that there is no home audio system in the known or unknown Universe at any price that can actually sound like live music.
Absolutely agree! It took me a long time to come to this conclusion. It's a mythical goal. Fortunately, I didn't go broke on the journey. Once I got past that hump it was easy to focus in on speakers that get the most important job done. Producing music that's "fun" to listen to. Hence my ending up with the catalysts and speaker upgraditis being dead. No longer am I fidgeting with stuff or wondering what if I did X. It's turn it on and have a blast.

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of wonderful sounding speakers out there. But there was always an exception with all of them. They do this or that good.. or sound better with certain music.. or they have to be placed in a strict location and work well for this small spot to listen in. You can go on and on. The catalyst is the first speaker I can just forget about and listen. Hiding them behind a screenwall takes it even further. Sometimes you forget what's behind there.