11.1/2 owners with front presence speakers please chime in! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 20 Old 01-14-14, 05:01 PM
Shackster

david yurik

Re: 11.1/2 owners with front presence speakers please chime in!

i stopped at the local hi fi shop and talked to the sales weenie for about 20 minutes. per him - there is no universal standard as to what goes into each channel ( 9.x / 11.x / presence ) and what sounds best is purely up to the listener and their receiver preference. so a speaker position ( height / presence ) is really what you like the sound of the most.

i would try hooking it up and moving it around with multiple locations to see what you like. then when the location is nailed down - frame in the pocket in the ceiling.

dave

basement
AVR - Yamaha RX-V867 AMP 1 - Acurus 200X3 ( for the fronts ) AMP 2 - Behringer EP4000 ( for the subs ) AC FILT - Harbor Freight power strip DISPLAY - Hitachi 15 year old 57" 1080i
MAIN - Bang & Olufsen Redline 140 CENTER - Bang & Olufsen Redline 140 SURROUND - Monoprice 6 1/2" in ceiling SURROUND BACK - Monoprice 6 1/2" in ceiling SUB - Dual PSB 10" passive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 01-14-14, 07:10 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
david yurik wrote: View Post
i stopped at the local hi fi shop and talked to the sales weenie for about 20 minutes. per him - there is no universal standard as to what goes into each channel ( 9.x / 11.x / presence ) and what sounds best is purely up to the listener and their receiver preference. so a speaker position ( height / presence ) is really what you like the sound of the most.

i would try hooking it up and moving it around with multiple locations to see what you like. then when the location is nailed down - frame in the pocket in the ceiling.

dave
I find this all interesting. But I'm still confused about what sound will be sent to the rear presence speakers. What programming is used ? Does the yamaha receiver have speaker channels noted on the back as rear presence? What sound is the programming pulling from to create the rear presence?

For example simplistically put, front wides pull from the sound most closely associated with front L/R channel when using Audyssey DSX programming.

Well, I might have found the answer in an article on another website... http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=41243

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by phillihp23; 01-14-14 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Add Link
post #13 of 20 Old 01-15-14, 05:51 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
BamaDave wrote: View Post
I'm looking for comments and/or opinions of the placement and experience with your upper front presence speakers, please! I'm currently only running the traditional front channel speakers (Def Tech BP7001SC ) in my HT and due to the room configuration I have those placed at the outside corners. Don't get me wrong as it sounds very good in their location but I'm just wanting to hear about what I could be missing. Having said all of that, do you feel a good or great improvement in there addition? Based on my setup I have to decide on moving the fronts inward which will be tight with the screen location or installing the upper presence inward in the wall next to me screen. By moving the front speakers inward in addition to the clearance issue with the screen I would have to construct a housing to place the added presence in the angled area of the ceiling. I'm planning on installing a DIY masking system as well as wall treatment throughout the HT so I just in the planning stage at the moment of this upcoming project.

Here is a shot of the current layout to give you a understanding of what I was describing. I know I need to replace that light bulb.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

David
I just received my new receiver last week and hooked it up. I was running 5.1 or 7.1 with rear surrounds as the extra two channels. Now I am running 7.2 with front highs being the extra two. My wife and I both immediately noticed a difference in certain scenes of movies. The biggest is rain falling like the final scenes of Pirates at worlds end. But even drones flying like in Oblivion completely surrounded us. Movies seem to draw us in more with these than the rear surrounds ever did. The speakers I am using are actually klipsch outdoor speakers that have not been placed outside yet. They are placed just inside of the fronts and well above.

post #14 of 20 Old 01-15-14, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
onedayiwillbedone wrote: View Post
I just received my new receiver last week and hooked it up. I was running 5.1 or 7.1 with rear surrounds as the extra two channels. Now I am running 7.2 with front highs being the extra two. My wife and I both immediately noticed a difference in certain scenes of movies. The biggest is rain falling like the final scenes of Pirates at worlds end. But even drones flying like in Oblivion completely surrounded us. Movies seem to draw us in more with these than the rear surrounds ever did. The speakers I am using are actually klipsch outdoor speakers that have not been placed outside yet. They are placed just inside of the fronts and well above.
That is the information I was looking to hear! Do you have the uppers speakers set inside the standard right and left fronts? 99% of my HT use is to TV/Movie viewing so this is something I should add and if I understand you correctly I can place them on the front wall just to the left and right of the screen and see an improvement in sound from a slight overhead prospective.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-15-14, 06:59 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:

That is the information I was looking to hear! Do you have the uppers speakers set inside the standard right and left fronts? 99% of my HT use is to TV/Movie viewing so this is something I should add and if I understand you correctly I can place them on the front wall just to the left and right of the screen and see an improvement in sound from a slight overhead prospective.
Just a little inside I am trying to load a photo off my phone also ignore the the fact my room is not done. I cant seem to spend money on finishing it since it is going to better things. You know new receiver and more speakers lol. Yes we noticed it immediately and enjoy it. What receiver are you using? Ours is an onkyo 3010 and have been listening the plz height format thus far.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-15-14, 07:31 AM
Senior Shackster

Here is the right half sorry my pbone can not size for this forum I guess
Attached Thumbnails
11.1/2 owners with front presence speakers please chime in!-img_20140115_072725.jpg  

post #17 of 20 Old 01-15-14, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
onedayiwillbedone wrote: View Post
Here is the right half sorry my pbone can not size for this forum I guess
I'm running a Yamaha Pre/Pro CX-A5000BL & MX-A5000BL with a Parasound Halo A31 driving the fronts. I purchased these knowing I would want to expand and your reply has me determined to do just that, thanks again! Now I have to make a speaker selection to place above and at this point all I know is that I want to stay with the Def Tech line.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-16-14, 08:27 AM
Shackster

Mark

My System

Dave I started a thread in the Set Up and Connections section asking basically the same question and phillip23 posted that article that I also found very informative. I am also going to be looking for some front presence speaker from Def-tech so I will be interested to see what you select. I am currently using the UIW BPZ/A as my rear surrounds and I love them, but they no longer make them so I am looking for something similar.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-16-14, 09:21 AM
Shackster

Here's my 2 cents worth ....I have my system set up for 11.2 and I really can hear the difference between 5.1 or 7.1 sound! On my Denon 4311ci I need to use the A-dsx and Neo to get all of the 11 speakers producing sound. A wider and sometimes deeper soundscape. I also wonder about what type of sound is being sent to the front heights and back rear surrounds? Using ML Motion 4s for the heights and rear and Audyssey setup detects them as large speakers! Is the signal being sent Full/wide band or are is the signal limited to a certain range of frequencies?

Oh BTW ...the front heights are located about midway between the main L/R and the wide L/R about 7 foot off the floor.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-16-14, 10:33 PM
Senior Shackster
Sean

My System

Quote:
Audyssey recommends the heights be outside your front speakers, while Dolby recommends they go directly above your left and right speaker. I have mine directly above my left and right and I do indeed seem to enjoy Dolby PLiiZ more than the Audyssey DSX height setting, though this might be because I've set them up directly above the speakers as per Dolby instructions due to space restrictions. Or it could just be my mind telling me it's better because that's where I've placed them, who knows.