11.1/2 owners with front presence speakers please chime in! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 01-12-14, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

11.1/2 owners with front presence speakers please chime in!

I'm looking for comments and/or opinions of the placement and experience with your upper front presence speakers, please! I'm currently only running the traditional front channel speakers (Def Tech BP7001SC ) in my HT and due to the room configuration I have those placed at the outside corners. Don't get me wrong as it sounds very good in their location but I'm just wanting to hear about what I could be missing. Having said all of that, do you feel a good or great improvement in there addition? Based on my setup I have to decide on moving the fronts inward which will be tight with the screen location or installing the upper presence inward in the wall next to me screen. By moving the front speakers inward in addition to the clearance issue with the screen I would have to construct a housing to place the added presence in the angled area of the ceiling. I'm planning on installing a DIY masking system as well as wall treatment throughout the HT so I just in the planning stage at the moment of this upcoming project.

Here is a shot of the current layout to give you a understanding of what I was describing. I know I need to replace that light bulb.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-12-14, 02:54 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: 11.1/2 owners with front presence speakers please chime in!

My front height speakers are located just above the screen right over the corner of the screen (100" screen). Which basically places them vertically above my front Left and Right speaker.

As far as speakers and creating a larger/better sound stage I would recommend from my experience the following order of implementation going up from a standard 5.1 setup: Front Wides, Rear, Front Heights

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-12-14, 03:01 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
BamaDave wrote: View Post
I'm looking for comments and/or opinions of the placement and experience with your upper front presence speakers, please! I'm currently only running the traditional front channel speakers (Def Tech BP7001SC ) in my HT and due to the room configuration I have those placed at the outside corners. Don't get me wrong as it sounds very good in their location but I'm just wanting to hear about what I could be missing. Having said all of that, do you feel a good or great improvement in there addition? Based on my setup I have to decide on moving the fronts inward which will be tight with the screen location or installing the upper presence inward in the wall next to me screen. By moving the front speakers inward in addition to the clearance issue with the screen I would have to construct a housing to place the added presence in the angled area of the ceiling. I'm planning on installing a DIY masking system as well as wall treatment throughout the HT so I just in the planning stage at the moment of this upcoming project.

Here is a shot of the current layout to give you a understanding of what I was describing. I know I need to replace that light bulb.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

David

If possible I would recommend moving your screen to the right enough to fit your front left speaker between the screen and doorway. Then move your front right speaker in to the side of your screen on the right side (should be around 22-30 degrees from center). Add two towers out to the sides, about where the speakers are now... It is suppose to be something like 55-60 degrees left and right from the center. Center being the point directly in front of the center channel. So sitting in your centered seat facing the center channel a 55-60 degree to the right and left place the front wides. Also, I couldn't tell from the picture but do you have side surrounds..... I would definitely install them first if you do not.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by phillihp23; 01-12-14 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Update accurate speaker placement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-12-14, 03:22 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Here is a general guideline. Of course differant sound factors of a room and ability for placement are considerations also.

[IMG][/IMG]

post #5 of 20 Old 01-12-14, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
phillihp23 wrote: View Post
If possible I would recommend moving your screen to the right enough to fit your front left speaker between the screen and doorway. Then move your front right speaker in to the side of your screen on the right side (should be around 22-30 degrees from center). Add two towers out to the sides, about where the speakers are now... It is suppose to be something like 55-60 degrees left and right from the center. Center being the point directly in front of the center channel. So sitting in your centered seat facing the center channel a 55-60 degree to the right and left place the front wides. Also, I couldn't tell from the picture but do you have side surrounds..... I would definitely install them first if you do not.
The screen is centered and the raiser and everything else is set on center so moving the screen is not what I'm really considering. I'm running a 9.1+ configuration now and just wanting to get input on the front height presents as that is what I'm really lacking. Looking at the photo you can see that I don't have an simple outboard location to place them by the guideline. My room is not the best for it as we have the angled roof line to deal with. Thanks for your assistance!
post #6 of 20 Old 01-12-14, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

[QUOTE=phillihp23;669626]Here is a general guideline. Of course differant sound factors of a room and ability for placement are considerations also.

Thanks as this was considered in my original placement and now I'm just looking at the upper presents to possible add. Thanks again!
post #7 of 20 Old 01-13-14, 01:34 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Depending on the size of height speakers used you look like you could place them just to the left and right of the screen top corners... I know how these things can be....I had to be creative in the install of mine. I ordered some brackets that tilted and then zip tied the mounts on the back of the speakers to the wall bracket. This was in order to have them slightly angled down at the listening position rather then flush with the wall facing straight out.

post #8 of 20 Old 01-13-14, 09:18 PM
Shackster

david yurik

how is this affected when you mix in presence speakers instead of the front height and front width? here is a pic from the yamaha 3010 and they put presence speakers in the corners instead of dedicated front high / wide. i would think this presence approach would be more enveloping compared to just adding to the fronts. i tried to attach the pic. lets hope i did it right.

dave
Attached Thumbnails
11.1/2 owners with front presence speakers please chime in!-speaker-layout.jpg  

basement
AVR - Yamaha RX-V867 AMP 1 - Acurus 200X3 ( for the fronts ) AMP 2 - Behringer EP4000 ( for the subs ) AC FILT - Harbor Freight power strip DISPLAY - Hitachi 15 year old 57" 1080i
MAIN - Bang & Olufsen Redline 140 CENTER - Bang & Olufsen Redline 140 SURROUND - Monoprice 6 1/2" in ceiling SURROUND BACK - Monoprice 6 1/2" in ceiling SUB - Dual PSB 10" passive
post #9 of 20 Old 01-13-14, 09:36 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
david yurik wrote: View Post
how is this affected when you mix in presence speakers instead of the front height and front width? here is a pic from the yamaha 3010 and they put presence speakers in the corners instead of dedicated front high / wide. i would think this presence approach would be more enveloping compared to just adding to the fronts. i tried to attach the pic. lets hope i did it right.

dave
It appears Yamaha is using the Presence speakers as terminology comparative to what is normally called front wides and front heights...except for the fact that instead of front wides they have what appears to be rear wides. An interesting take on speaker setup...thanks for sharing this. I am just not sure what type of sound setting would implement such a setup... Denon uses NEO and DSX for its 11 speaker setup.

I don't see how this model would work as well due to the fact that a minimal amount of audio is output through the rear channels.

With the setup I am familiar with, diagram i posted. IMO I find that the front wides is the best implementation for an increased sound stage, and more enveloping audio experience. Most likely this is due to the fact that front left and front right speaker channels output the most effects and front L/R wides basically mimic them ( to a point).

post #10 of 20 Old 01-13-14, 10:09 PM
Shackster

david yurik

Quote:
phillihp23 wrote: View Post
It appears Yamaha is using the Presence speakers as terminology comparative to what is normally called front wides and front heights...except for the fact that instead of front wides they have what appears to be rear wides. An interesting take on speaker setup...thanks for sharing this.
since no source material is recorded in these 9. and 11. formats ( 7. for that matter ) i wonder who does it the best? which sounds better - and that is just way too subjective!!

bama dave ( all cool guys are named dave so i hear! ) please let us know what you decide and what your impression is!!

dave

basement
AVR - Yamaha RX-V867 AMP 1 - Acurus 200X3 ( for the fronts ) AMP 2 - Behringer EP4000 ( for the subs ) AC FILT - Harbor Freight power strip DISPLAY - Hitachi 15 year old 57" 1080i
MAIN - Bang & Olufsen Redline 140 CENTER - Bang & Olufsen Redline 140 SURROUND - Monoprice 6 1/2" in ceiling SURROUND BACK - Monoprice 6 1/2" in ceiling SUB - Dual PSB 10" passive