My HUGE center channel under construction from RAW Acoustics ~50" wide, 3-way, ribbon tweeter - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 63 Old 03-07-14, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
My HUGE center channel under construction from RAW Acoustics ~50" wide, 3-way, ribbon tweeter

I am a HUGE Creative Sound Solutions (CSS) fan and when Bob at CSS put their demo line arrays up for sale last fall, I could not resist. I rented a Yukon XL and road tripped to the Canadian border with my wife to pick them up. I've been in love ever since! We picked up the matching rear towers as well, just needed a center channel...

Open baffle sub towers have been replaced with a single Rythmik FV15HP in the corner to free up placement of the line arrays.

My goal was to have an all-out performer capable of keeping up with the Lambda Plus towers and able to dig deep if needed (the self-powered 8's in the Lambda Plus arrays are a force to be reckoned with...added to the Rythmik, bass performance is fantastic). Although RAW closed its doors in 2009, Al agreed to build the center for me after I reached out to him on diyaudio, very nice guy! Sounds like he will start building other systems soon which is great, I'm already saving up for two more side channels to make my system 7.1.

Al at RAW recommended four of the new CSS LDW7 woofers, two Wavecor 120 mids and the new CSS RT2 ribbon. He posted progress pictures recently on diyaudio and I thought I'd share them here because I am so excited to hear the finished product alongside the rest of my RAW lineup. I'm picking it up from Al's in British Columbia in a few weeks and I will be sure to document the journey.

Rough layout:

Top view of cabinet with all braces and slot ports:

Assembled cabinet compared to PE .5cft cabinet V2 speaker:

Full assembled down for 50-60 hrs of break in before crossover design:

Matching Sapele Pommele ribbon veneer:

Enjoy!

Vizio XVT-553SV - Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - Sony DVP-S7700 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus line arrays - RAW Acoustics HT4 towers (rear) - RAW Acoustics Apex C II center - Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 03-07-14, 06:48 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: My HUGE center channel under construction from RAW Acoustics ~50" wide, 3-way, ribbon tweeter

Wow those look killer. Great setup. Is that an OB subwoofer system?

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #3 of 63 Old 03-07-14, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Re: My HUGE center channel under construction from RAW Acoustics ~50" wide, 3-way, ribbon tweeter

It is, six Acoustic Elegance OB15 drivers powered by a Peavey IPR3000DSP. They've all since been sold to free up space but by far my favorite sounding low end that I have ever heard.

Vizio XVT-553SV - Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - Sony DVP-S7700 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus line arrays - RAW Acoustics HT4 towers (rear) - RAW Acoustics Apex C II center - Rythmik FV15HP

post #4 of 63 Old 03-07-14, 12:19 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

That's a nice set up. Pretty good looking speakers as well. I'm hoping to one day audition those speakers. They look mean!
post #5 of 63 Old 03-07-14, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Happy to demo for you or anyone else if you're ever in the Seattle area.

post #6 of 63 Old 03-07-14, 05:03 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

SO what are you using for subs then?

Does it even compare to your old OB setup?

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #7 of 63 Old 03-07-14, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

I now use a single Rythmik FV15HP in the left corner. The Rythmik servo system is the closest I have heard to the transparency and "feel" of open baffle bass but it will also pressurize the room which is fun for movies.

Having said that, I do dearly miss the OB setup and I don't think I'll be able to find that same sound without going back to it. I'm now planning a dedicated two channel system for our next home which will have Acoustic Elegance Dipole15 drivers to match the RAAL dipole ribbons and AE Dipole6 mids I have stored in my office closet. Can't wait

post #8 of 63 Old 03-07-14, 05:20 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
That is impressive looking I'm sure it will sound awesome as well. The wait must be killing you, could you tell us how much it will cost?
post #9 of 63 Old 03-07-14, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Quote:
B- one wrote: View Post
That is impressive looking I'm sure it will sound awesome as well. The wait must be killing you, could you tell us how much it will cost?
I'd contact Al at RAW, [email protected] to get a quote if you are interested. Because of how customized these can get, the price for mine probably isn't a good indicator of other options (for example, my veneer was $250 just for the raw material directly from the supplier but a regular matte finish would be a big cost savings if desired).

He does a smaller design as well with two woofers, one mid and one ribbon. You can even choose your binding post and plate finishes, it was a fun process Yes, I can't wait to hear it but for Al's workmanship I don't mind the wait one bit.

post #10 of 63 Old 03-07-14, 05:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Quote:
Architect7 wrote: View Post
I'd contact Al at RAW, [email protected] to get a quote if you are interested. Because of how customized these can get, the price for mine probably isn't a good indicator of other options (for example, my veneer was $250 just for the raw material directly from the supplier but a regular matte finish would be a big cost savings if desired). He does a smaller design as well with two woofers, one mid and one ribbon. You can even choose your binding post and plate finishes, it was a fun process Yes, I can't wait to hear it but for Al's workmanship I don't mind the wait one bit.
If I did that I would need the rest of my speakers to match. And I don't think the wife would go for that. Our center was around $800 so I can only wonder how high yours will finish at. Can't wait to see the finished product.