Rear Speaker Placement - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 06-28-06, 01:01 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Rear Speaker Placement

In that case, I’d move them in, so that they’ll be directly behind the seating, like it is in the left picture in your #4 post.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 07-10-06, 05:02 PM
nobbie
Inactive

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote:
The way it is now, youíre going to hear the rear speaker closest to you virtually exclusively, and the farther one virtually not at all.

Regards,
Wayne
Can't this be compensated for by adjusting output for each speaker through the processor?
post #13 of 21 Old 07-19-06, 04:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Tommy,
You are in the pre-sheetrock stage, correct? What I would do, what I did, is run a butt-load of speaker wire to different locations. Run a pair to the direct back center, another pair more toward the edges, and another one half way between those points, emulating the pictures listed above. If you want, you can connect them to a speaker terminal box so you have easy access to them, or leave them hidden until you decide. Take a picture, like you have, but of all your wiring. You never know when you might need it. I also ran extra speaker wire to my fronts, center and surrounds, just in case one wire was ever cut or damaged. It doesn't hurt to have the extra wire and it leaves you the options you want later. Someday I may want to bi-wire, presto, there is the wire. Lets say I want to try some direct radiators it my back, bingo, wire is there. You get the picture. Then you can experiment to your hearts content.
Roly

post #14 of 21 Old 07-20-06, 01:40 AM
JP

Roly's suggestions are great, I did close to the same thing in my basement theater. As has been suggested I would also stick to the Dolby placement in your system.
JP
post #15 of 21 Old 07-20-06, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Tom

Future wiring wont be that much of a problem for me. I left a bit of room between the studded walls and the foundation. I'll be able to get behind 3 out of the 4 walls, and able to fish behind that last if needed in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-20-06, 08:57 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Good to hear you were thinking ahead. If it were me, I wouldn't hook anything up permanantly until I listened to the sytem with the speakers in a variety of locations. Do those in-walls have a cabinet on the back? If so, you would be able to get a great idea of how they will sound in different locations. Without the cabinet, you will still get a clearer understanding of what you like. I certainly wouldn't just cut the holes where I thought they should be. Play around with the speakers before you install them. Listen to a bunch of stuff, then decide what you like the sound of.
Roly
post #17 of 21 Old 07-25-06, 11:19 AM
bsheldon
Inactive

very nice room. the only thing that I would suggest is bring your sbl (on the right as I look at the picture) out from the wall the same distance the sbr is forced out by the equipent rack. Equal distance is ideal. Plus it looks like it will be very close to dolby specs. You don't want a speaker that close to the wall--it causes some diflection issues. again, awesome set up--best of luck with it. I am sure you will enjoy it.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-25-06, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Tom

Ya I was hoping to hang a post between the dvd cabinet and the speaker. But I did move the wiring over before they started the sheetrock so that it is as you described

post #19 of 21 Old 07-30-06, 08:49 PM
Bryan Nemecek
Inactive

Hey Group,

I'm a 'Stereo' kinda guy from many years of Live mixing and Studio recording (Currently I'm building a Recording Studio), but I've recently bought a RCA RT2250 5.1 receiver and decided to buy another set of Pioneer speakers and Sub. After which I started looking for how to set these up and I came across this webpage long before joining this forum and now I'm wondering if this webpage is giving good setup info or should I change my bedroom setup to something different??? It seems to follow what most of this thread states, except distance....

Here's the webpage: http://www.homestead.com/klyckproduc...placement.html
post #20 of 21 Old 07-30-06, 11:32 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

B Dogg,

The info at the link looks good. The only thing I’d be leery about is their recommended front speaker placement. I assure you, no one has their speakers out that far in front of their TV.

One comment, I’d seriously consider looking into some better speakers. The Japanese brands are generally pretty poor.

By the way, nice avatar! Nice to see another Pontiac guy here. Check out the link in my profile under “Biography” to see a picture of mine.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt