BG Radia Z7 Tower Ribbon Planar Speaker - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 21 Old 05-11-14, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
BG Radia Z7 Tower Ribbon Planar Speaker

Was looking around for a new 5.1 surround speaker setup as i think my sub is not going to be a bit overkill for my current setup. At the moment I have Denon AVR-3808ci,polk audio R40 tower's,cs1751 center channel,fx300i surrounds. Subwoofer i plan on using is a TC Sounds lms Ultra 5400 in a 6.5cf box with two psi audio 18" pr's and a inuke nu 3000 with a 2x4 minidsp. There is a shop on Oahu that has a 5.1 surround sound setup for 1500$ not shipped to Maui. One reason I am considering this is that shipping will be a lot cheaper then out of Hawaii.

It's a 4Ω tower with bi amp capability as well as my avr. My avr only allows 8-6Ω. I don't have extra money to fly over to Oahu and audition the speakers and never heard anything better then my current setup as i'm the only one I know that is into HT and audio as I am. kinda looking to see if im jumping to the next thing that I know is better then my current setup. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-11-14, 07:46 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: BG Radia Z7 Tower Ribbon Planar Speaker

It al depends on your wants. You may be happy with that Polk setup but I would also say you wold e happy with quite a few DIY designs that are out there. I am DIY always. I would only buy a handful of speakers and thats because I cant build them. Also this is only if I lived on the mainland.

Its always hard suggesting designs to others without knowing what exactly they have heard and liked. I cant always suggest what I like because I have heard a lot of speakers and regardless of the price only like a handful of them. And while I am confident in only one brand at buying them unheard of I would still recommend hearing anything you are ever going to spend hard earned cash on.

SO canoe over to Moloka'i then jump on the whales backs frogger style to Oahu and have an audition of those Polks. Just a suggestion.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #3 of 21 Old 05-11-14, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Sorry I was not clear on that. The bg radius are the speakers I want to hear. I couldn't say I don't like my r40 but I know there is better out there. Just never heard anything else.

post #4 of 21 Old 05-11-14, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

I found them on this site under home theater. http://www.aht-hawaii.com/m/#./home
post #5 of 21 Old 05-11-14, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

I was thinking of a diy kit. http://www.parts-express.com/tritrix...-pair--300-702
I have always been interested in this pair. But also 4 ohm. Is there a way to get it to 6 or 8 ohms as needed for my avr?

Last edited by ht-core; 05-11-14 at 01:08 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-11-14, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

I was thinking of a diy kit. http://www.parts-express.com/tritrix...-pair--300-702
I have always been interested in this pair.
post #7 of 21 Old 05-11-14, 05:49 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

I cant seem to look at the link. What is the name of the speaker in the link?

Have you looked at these?
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...sion8-kit.html

The BG reviews of that speaker have been that they have good highs, ok mids and not much bass at all. SO a good speaker but maybe lacking in some areas depending on your individual tastes.

[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-11-14, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Not sure what a good tower and center would match a 18 lms ultra and be able to play loud on some low wattage. The denon avr-3808ci at [email protected] ohms and 160 at 6ohms. I guess high sensitivity will be needed. We watch TV with the sub off most of the time unless a good movie is on. So a lower crossover would be good too.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-11-14, 07:06 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Having a L/R speaker keeping up with a single Ultra is not that hard. It takes a lot more "power," from a sub to keep up with high frequencies in a L/R channel. SO the link I showed you is a small but powerful 8" 2 way design that can play plenty loud. If you need more SPL then there is the louder brother with a bit more extension 8" 2way called the Minion.

If you want more spl and playability without a subwoofer then maybe use a 10" or larger design.How big can you go?

The Minion plays fine without and does get plenty loud. Would play just fine with an Ultra. BUT if you have to go bigger then the Fusion 12 Tempest design is a monster. It can be used outside with plenty of spl.

Here is a video of the Minion:

And here is the big brother with a single 15" 2 way

All the designs are 8ohm. Your Denon will have PLENTY of power. You could use more on the bigger designs but it is not needed.

post #10 of 21 Old 05-11-14, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

I just think I'm missing out most of my music with these. It seems there is some resonate cabinet vibration going on. Thinking I'll sell the 5.1 I have now and do an upgrade that should last a while. It would be nice to have something that blended well. I guess it is time for the rew and see what the room/speakers are lacking.