Speaker quest (listening reviews included) - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 110 Old 01-16-08, 10:30 AM
Senior Shackster

Konky

Re: $1500-$2000 Fronts

If you're having trouble locating Vandersteens, you may want to try the DALI Ikon line...excellent, or the Revel "Performa" series...they will give you the absolute max bass for the money and sound excellent all around. I recommend all these speakers because I have heard all of these speakers and lots of others. What I'm recommending (along with good recommendations from others) is the best of the best IMHO in the price range you have designated.
Good luck,
Konky.

I get up...I get the paper...I read the obituaries...if I don't see my name; I go ahead and have breakfast! George Burns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 110 Old 01-16-08, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Greg

Round two complete. 2nd listen to Paradigm studio 60's proved to still be my preference over the B&W 683's. However I found that I liked the B&W CM-7's the best of the three. The CM-7's had much more of an air to them very slight push to the upper-mids, and more laid back than the Studio 60's. The B&W CM-7's excelled with Jazz. They just had a more natural sound to them. They also had a very nice sound-stage, much wider than the 683's, and more open than the Studio 60's. The guys at Ahead Stereo were great, Aaron moved the speakers around so I could compare the ones I was interested in in an A/B/C format. Good people there, and a nice selection of electronics as well. Unfortunately they did not have the Monitor RS 6 or RS 8 in store, so I will have to go elsewhere to listen to them.

So as it stands now I still have a lot of speakers to listen to but the B&W CM-7's are the ones to beat.
post #23 of 110 Old 01-16-08, 07:48 PM
Senior Shackster

warpdrive

It sounds like fun funkmonkey. There are some people that read up on Internet forums, read reviews, look at charts, ask for advice, read threads, and then order their speaker sight unseen. I can't understand that. Half the fun of audio is touching, seeing, hearing. Sometimes you find some jewels you never heard of walking into a store. I used to think all B&W's were overrated until the dealer said "listen to these little CM1". Then I changed my mind completely. I also listened to some "cost no object" gear as a reference and I found myself lost in the music with some systems (which is what it's all about)

I'm an equal opportunity fanboy. I love and currently own stuff from B&W, Paradigm, Dynaudio, Sony, SVS, Denon, Velodyne, Mirage, AKG, Headroom (all subject to change at any moment)

post #24 of 110 Old 01-17-08, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Greg

Quote:
warpdrive wrote: View Post
I found myself lost in the music with some systems (which is what it's all about)
Amen, Brother warpdrive
I am having fun, and I am fortunate to not have to work for a couple of weeks, so I between all the Honey-Do's I can get out and listen...
post #25 of 110 Old 01-17-08, 01:59 PM
Senior Shackster

warpdrive

I'm interested in the outcome of what you find in your future auditions. Having lots of time really helps.....you aren't pressured to make a decision quickly. I know what the CM-7 sounds like and can attest they are amazing for the reasons you stated. They aren't perfect, but when I first heard them, I found myself thinking how smooth and natural they were...I could listen to these all day.

I'm an equal opportunity fanboy. I love and currently own stuff from B&W, Paradigm, Dynaudio, Sony, SVS, Denon, Velodyne, Mirage, AKG, Headroom (all subject to change at any moment)
post #26 of 110 Old 01-18-08, 02:11 PM
Senior Shackster

Mazer

Salk Sound
SongTower QWT
http://www.salksound.com/SongTower.shtml

Revel Concerta F12
http://www.revelspeakers.com/product...asp?product=19

Focal JM Labs Chorus 816 V
http://www.focal.tm.fr/catalogue-fro...3&idDivision=1

Usher Audio V-604
http://www.usheraudiousa.com/product...v-series/v-604

Strata Mini
http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=78.1

Mazer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #27 of 110 Old 01-18-08, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Greg

ROUND #3:

Man, I hate LA traffic!!! I drove out to Santa Monica today, about 15 miles the way the crow flies, it took me about 40 min to get there, not too bad for LA, the ride home took me about 1 hour 45 minutes!!!!!!!! Then when I get there the place is remodeling and is open, but has absolutely nothing hooked up to demo. They were polite and all, and gave me a brochure, and asked me to comeback next week... yeah, right. ...well, okay maybe. I had planed to stop in there and then hit a different store that was only a few blocks away so, at least I got to hear some speakers on my trip. Sorry to vent a bit there, but I just wanted to convey a point, but I will get to that later...

Today I listened to Monitor Audio Silver series RS6, and RS8's, Vienna Acoustics Bach's, and Martin Logan Purity & Source
I started with the Monitor RS6, and was digging their sense of air, crisp highs and mids when I asked the guy to switch to the RS8's... Whump, what was that? There's the bottom end. Much, much deeper with the RS8's, much more full sound. All the crisp detail of the RS6, with a woofer added. (Makes sense, because that is pretty much the difference between the two. If anyone is thinking about getting the RS6, make sure you have or get a sub too, because they just do not have much of a bottom end.) I really liked the RS8's.

Since they were standing right next to the Monitors I had the salesman flip on the Vienna Bach's. Not too bad, but to my ears they sounded a bit congested in the upper range, not as musical, slightly dead in comparison to the lively RS8's. Okay, maybe should have heard them first, but as the Vienna's are a decent competitor to the Monitor's (at least by sticker price) I prefer the RS8.

Now, for my surprise today I gave the Martin Logan Purity's a listen [about $1G more than my budget(sticker) they were in the same room as the RS8's, and the salesman stated that the only difference between them and the "Source," which are in my price range (barely) was the inclusion of an internal amp)] You weren't kidding Sonnie, they sound awesome, the Purity's have everything going for them, they are a hybrid: electro static to handle mids and highs with a powered woofer to go low. I wound up A/B-ing these with the Monitor RS8's and this is what I found:

Red Snapper(electronic/jazz lots of upright bass and strong beats)... the ML-Purity's seemed a bit flat in the mids, both speakers handled this music well, good atmosphere, full sound from both.

Grant Green (Jazz)- The RS8's gave the guitar a nice tone, or I should say reproduced the beautiful tone of Grant Greens guitar very well, piano sounds were very natural, and very nice decay on cymbals, overall an even balanced sound. The Martin Logans sounded slightly more full in the bass, and crisp in the high end, along with delivering comparable body of sound.

Leon Parker (drum/rhythm based jazz)- RS8's had a nice punch in the low end with the drums, but were not as full sounding as the ML's which provided a crisp clear upper range and a very full, well balanced sound.

Fu Manchu (Hard rock/heavy metal)- ((Fu Manchu eliminated the B&W 683's from my consideration, they couldn't handle that kind of full-on assault )) Both the RS8 and the ML Purity did well with the FU, for all the guitar growl that the RS8's put out the Puritys growled even better. Both did really well with rock.

I liked the sound of both speakers, but i have to give the edge to the Martin Logan Purity. I have to take into consideration the volume each speaker played at, the RS8's were considerably lower volume without turning the knob, I can only assume that is because of the fact that the ML's had a powered woofer, and maybe something to do with electrostatic tech...

So, the point I wanted to make earlier was that it was worth the 2.5 hours in the car dealing with traffic to listen to these speakers today. The Martin Logans sounded great, they are on to something with their hybrid technology, I now have to listen to the "Source" model (which runs about $2000/pair) and see how much of a difference the powered woofer makes, hopefully I can find them closer to home. I should add that the store I wound up in today had the Source speakers hooked up on their main floor hooked up to some "worse than MP3" player (according to the salesman), so no chance for a decent listen for me. As for the Monitor RS8's, it should speak miles that they could stand up to a speaker that costs literaly twice as much (Purity≈$3000, RS-8≈$1500)

Good listen today, no closer to a decision...
cheers
post #28 of 110 Old 01-19-08, 05:44 AM
Senior Shackster

MrPorterhouse

Quote:
Funkmonkey wrote: View Post
Today I listened to Monitor Audio Silver series RS6, and RS8's, Vienna Acoustics Bach's, and Martin Logan Purity & Source

Since they were standing right next to the Monitors I had the salesman flip on the Vienna Bach's. Not too bad, but to my ears they sounded a bit congested in the upper range, not as musical, slightly dead in comparison to the lively RS8's. Okay, maybe should have heard them first, but as the Vienna's are a decent competitor to the Monitor's (at least by sticker price) I prefer the RS8.
cheers
When I listened to the Vienna Acoustic Bachs, they were pretty good, but when compared to the Vienna Acoustic Mozarts, the Bachs sounded a little dull. I think the Bachs run $2000/pr and the Mozarts $2700/pr. For the price diference, there really isn't much comparison, as the Mozarts are a much better experience, IMHO.

I also found the B&W 683 to be not-so-good, especially when compared to others side by side. I liked the Paradigm Monitor 7 better in direct comparison. I also got a chance to listen the B&W 804, which is in another league to the 683. I prefered the 804 to the monitor 7, but honestly, I prefered the Paradigm Studio 40 set up to all of those. There was something about that forward, clean sound on that day that just worked well.

You know, audio is a crazy thing because I find myself liking different sounds on different days. I don't have the kind of money to support that quirk. Forward, laid-back. It is true that hearing and any sensory perception changes with the amount of sleep you get, stress, nutrition, medication, mood, and so on. I would add that whenever you make a decision, do it after multiple vistis to listen because you might be under different states of perception, and you'll want to validate you experience. Since I only listened to the 683's that one time, I want to go back and confirm my original perception, or deny it.
post #29 of 110 Old 01-19-08, 09:16 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

From what I have read in various places, the Purity and Source ML's are good, but not quite on par with the larger ML's. My Ascent i's are considerably larger (wider and taller). Many ML owners say the Ascent i's are their favorite outside of the Summits, which are way out of my price range. Instead of spending $1500 to $2000 on new ML's, I would not even think twice about going to Audiogon and picking up a used pair of Ascent i's. I see them there consistently for less than $2000. If there is any possible way to hear the difference between the Ascent i's and Purity/Source models, do it. I believe you will be impressed with the difference based on what I've read.

I've seen some really good deals on Vandersteens at Audiogon as well. All these guys talking about them the way they are, I may end up having to try out a pair in my great room.
post #30 of 110 Old 01-20-08, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Greg

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
My Ascent i's are considerably larger (wider and taller). Many ML owners say the Ascent i's are their favorite ...
Yeah, I really can't go much bigger than the ML-Source/Purity. I really do not have the space in this apartment. Maybe someday when I actually find a house that I can afford, that is not in the ghetto. (who am I kidding, I can't even afford a house in the ghetto )

I am going to seek out the Vandesteens this week, along with some Dali's and hopefully a listen to some Totems...