How much did your speaker system cost? - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #111 of 334 Old 07-20-09, 05:56 PM
Shackster
Mark

Re: How much did your speaker system cost?

Thanks Dennis. Interesting to note the responses in this thread tend to fall into 3 basic categories:

1. Bargain hunter systems. These speaker systems are generally under $1k and were achieved by either buying used, home building, or searching out exceptional values. I'm sure some of these systems would impress the big budget guys, and some would not. Every system is a compromise, and my hat is off to those who managed to put together a system they were happy with in this price range.

2. Price/value systems. These speaker systems seem to be in the $3-5K range. These are "knee of the curve" type systems where funds were less constrained, but not unlimited. There appear to be a large number of choices in this price range that achieve excellent audio performance. It also appears large sums of money are required to achieve performance beyond this price range.

3. No compromise systems. These speaker systems are generally $7k and up - and often that is for 2 channel! These systems often represent the best that money can buy. Being fortunate to have friends with systems in this league I can tell you they are close to flawless. But the price of admission is high.

When considering the above, I think there are 2 important factors to keep in mind (ignoring the all important 3rd and 4th factors - your bank account and your spouse);

First is the listening room. No matter how much you spend on speakers, the room is going to have a large influence on the sound. $10k on a pair of speakers in a poorly set up room can sound worse than $1k speakers in a well set up room. Many of us don't have an isolated HT/listening room, and you can only go so far with acoustic treatments before the living space becomes impractical for daily life.

Second is listening conditions. If you are not in an isolated room and other household members are doing other things in the house during your listening/movie watching, then background noise is going to mask many of the subtleties of a finer speaker system.

With the above in mind, I would be willing to bet many of the lesser priced systems are in smaller living spaces where there is less control over the acoustic properties and background noise. I'd also imagine most of the high end systems are in dedicated rooms with acoustic treatments. In my own case, the realities of my listing conditions limited what I was willing to spend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 334 Old 07-21-09, 10:57 AM
Shackster
DadsforHT

I came from a $250 HTiB system from cambridge soundworks. I had the same issue with my wife when i said it was time to upgrade to something better. I conviced her to at least give it a try so I bought an open box onkyo $450, 7 NHT Superzero XU speakers $70/ea., and an B-Stock MFW-15 ~$400. so all in all I spent $1340 and she is like "I had no idea what we were missing, movies just are more enjoyable to watch!"
post #113 of 334 Old 07-21-09, 11:24 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

There was a thread going some time ago about how much one needs to spend on a pair of speakers in order to hear a difference in quality (not factoring in room layout/acoustics).

It seemed to be the general consensus that there is a huge step up between spending below $800 and again above the $5000 range.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #114 of 334 Old 07-28-09, 11:12 PM
Marty

I have about $5500 in speakers and about another $4500 in gear (not including my DLP rear Proj or stands). Like most Shackers, I have slowly upgraded my system when funds were available and have really enjoyed the journey so far. I consider myself very lucky to have a wife who understands and supports my hobby/obsession .(, we met at Circuit City! )
post #115 of 334 Old 07-29-09, 11:39 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
This is my first post here. I am a member at Martin Logan Owners Club where I PM'ed with Sonny about his experience with his Martin Logan Spires. He also told me to check out this website so here I am.

My surround setup is all Martin Logan. Fronts: Martin Logan Vantage (5,700), Center: Martin Logan Stage (3000), Surround: Vista (4,295), Subwoofer: Paradigm Servo 15 V.2 (2200) Total $15,195
Cheers,
JJ
post #116 of 334 Old 07-29-09, 12:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Dr Doan

Welcome Jack. Have fun. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
:
post #117 of 334 Old 07-29-09, 01:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Yes, Welcome aboard Jack. Nice speaker system you have there.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #118 of 334 Old 07-29-09, 01:24 PM
Senior Shackster
Doug

Quote:
Jungle Jack wrote: View Post
Hello,
This is my first post here. I am a member at Martin Logan Owners Club
Welcome to the forum, Jack!

If you don't mind, tell us how you decided on ML's and what's your impression of your setup. Are you happy with your purchase and do you think it's a good value? Most ML owners answer with an enthusistic "yes" to both.
post #119 of 334 Old 07-29-09, 03:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
Thanx all for the welcome. I have been using Martin Logan's for over a decade. When given a proper amount of amplification, there is something beguiling about them.

The new generation (Summit, Spire, Vantage, etc) are in some ways better. Unfortunately, they are also in some ways worse. Having an active bass section greatly improves efficiency. They use the B&O designed ICE modules (200 watts in the Vantage) to drive an 8" woofer. The bass is surprisingly robust given the size of the enclosure. My Paradigm sub is broken and I am currently running my system sans subwoofer. I must say that even without the sub, the system sounds amazing. I was expecting not to be able to enjoy my system while without a sub.

The downside to the new generation is in regards to scale. While Martin Logan claims that the Xstat panel offers much more sound in a smaller panel by virtue of more holes on the panel. When compared to the Prodigy, Ascent, etc, the soundstage is just not the same. Still sounds great. Just not as majestic if you will. Then again, the 12 thousand Dollar Summit X is tiny compared to the Prodigy. Amazingly, I am pretty sure the 4 thousand Dollar Ascent is bigger than the Summit.

In regards to value, it is a difficult decision. They certainly are not cheap. And while Martin Logan's have traditionally held excellent resale value, the new generation does not seem to hold their value as well. Still not bad.

Of upmost importance with ML's is placement. If you are not able to have them setup a good few feet out in space, I would purchase another speaker. Sidewall interaction is very important as well. That and lots of stable current.

On the whole, I am very happy with my system. I really do like the Stage center channel. I love my Vantages and honestly believe they offer 95% of the performance of the 12k Summit X for under 6K.
I am not a big fan of Martin Logan's Design Series. Especially the ones which instead of a electrostatic panel use a ATF ribbon. Furthermore, instead of being made in Kansas as all ML's had been, they are outsourced to China.
Cheers,
JJ
post #120 of 334 Old 07-30-09, 11:21 AM
Senior Shackster
Doug

Jack, excellent evaluation. You'll be an asset to the forum!