How much did your speaker system cost? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 334 Old 01-31-08, 12:15 PM
Nietzsche
Inactive

Re: How much did your speaker system cost?

IMO, it all depends on what you are looking for. I am new to the Hi-Fi scene but my first system was a JBL sat system for $700 dollars. At first I thought it sounded great until I went to my buddy's house. BIG MISTAKE. Now for speakers and sub I am sitting right around $4000, but I am sure if if I went to someone else's house with 25k speakers I would love those too. Do it in stages, easier to get your internal better half to sign off.

Wait till you buy a sub, don't realize how big the thing is, and then your wife freaks. hahaha

Just my two cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 334 Old 01-31-08, 06:52 PM
sumshree
Inactive

Polk Rti8's pair - $400 from frys
Polk Rti4's pair + stands - $250

Subwoofer: PB12- ISD - $250 from Craigslist.

currently running phantom center which I am quite happy with.

total - $900 and this kicks *** for HT
post #23 of 334 Old 02-02-08, 02:31 PM
rick

Speaker System

System audio sa1750-1,300.00 slightly used
System audio sa720av (center)-750.00 never used
System audio sa505 (sur) -325.00 new
Martin logan grotto -750.00 new.
Total 3,100.00

If i would of purchased all new it would of run me approx 5,400.+

post #24 of 334 Old 02-02-08, 03:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Jean-Pierre

Send a message via MSN to imbeaujp

Quote:
DS-21 wrote: View Post
You managed to find some great deals there!

The NS1000 is one of those speakers I've always wanted to hear, but have not yet managed to find.
Yes I am on ebay 3 times a day since 2 years to get the best deals on thoses speakers. If you are ok to pay 1500$ you could get a NS-1000M in a relative short time...

JP

Jean-Pierre Imbeau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #25 of 334 Old 02-03-08, 06:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Jean-Pierre

Send a message via MSN to imbeaujp

If you come around Quebec City this summer, you are my guest !

Jean-Pierre Imbeau

post #26 of 334 Old 02-04-08, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman
Exclamation I showed my wife some of these replies and.....

realized she'll never understand!

Now I'm not getting any younger and at 42 my number could come up any time. I did show her some of the replies to my ? and she had the nerve to say the wimpy HTiB speakers were fine , I just need to get my hearing checked . I tried to argue the point that the wimpy HTiB speakers were mono (1 speaker per box) and that they could never reproduce sound effectively. Her reply was yeah but there's 5 of them plus the sub. Then went on to say that when our youngest son (14) moves out I could get any speaker system I wanted, I told her by then I could be pushing daisies!

I will get my speakers now not later no matter what the cost, I will sell the wife and buy my speakers and she knows this too! I use to have other hobbies (fishing, camping/hiking, bowling, tennis and billiards) but had to cut back or stop them all together after being rear-ended (Auto Accident) in 2004, that's when I got hooked on HT. So, with that said I want to thank everyone again for all of your support, replies and wisdom.

hyghwayman
post #27 of 334 Old 02-04-08, 02:36 PM
Senior Shackster

Konky

Re: I showed my wife some of these replies and.....

Hywayman...with all due respect; selling your wife (given her ummm disposition) seems like a VERY hard sell!
Good luck with your speakers and your hobby and life...
Cheers,
Konky.
It's times like these that make me realise just how good I have it with my wife...she loves my hobby almost as much as I do...

I get up...I get the paper...I read the obituaries...if I don't see my name; I go ahead and have breakfast! George Burns.
post #28 of 334 Old 02-04-08, 04:27 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Re: I showed my wife some of these replies and.....

Quote:
hyghwayman wrote: View Post
... I tried to argue the point that the wimpy HTiB speakers were mono (1 speaker per box) and that they could never reproduce sound effectively. Her reply was yeah but there's 5 of them plus the sub...
I think it will be hard for you to convince her ... until she heard the difference

Quote:
...I will get my speakers now not later no matter what the cost, I will sell the wife and buy my speakers and she knows this too! ...
Like they say "Better ask for forgiveness than permission" ... hopefully this won't cause you a problem with your wife.

Did you decide What are you getting??? ... if you can try this aproach: buy a pair of speakers for your front and swap them when she is not at home, I'm sure after she hears the difference she will let you buy anything you want

I have this Stadium http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Venue-Stad...163315&sr=8-3), you can find it cheap but you need to check the price almost everyday (I paid $160 ea) or you can get this Arena http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Venue-Aren...163315&sr=8-10 ... they're smaller but the frequency response is almost the same (look at the price ... good oportunity to get a pair for the front )
post #29 of 334 Old 02-04-08, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

Quote:
conchyjoe7 wrote: View Post
Hywayman...with all due respect; selling your wife (given her ummm disposition) seems like a VERY hard sell!
Cheers,
Konky.
Well, sell was a little harsh and devorce is out of the question, just very frustrated right now.

Quote:
salvasol wrote: View Post
I think it will be hard for you to convince her ... until she heard the difference
Did you decide What are you getting??? ... if you can try this aproach: buy a pair of speakers for your front and swap them when she is not at home, I'm sure after she hears the difference she will let you buy anything you want )
I had tried that with our new HDTV and by the end of the day she had me at my . She didn't see the need for a bigger TV when the one we had worked. If it was her choice we would still be watching on our old 19" TV. So she will not be involved in this buying option for fear of ending up with a Bose system.

I have found the speakers I want to get, it's the SVS SBS-01 system. I was over at a friends house a while back and heard them. My buddy allowed me to listen to them all afternoon and I must say I was blown away.

hyghwayman
post #30 of 334 Old 02-05-08, 12:17 AM
Senior Shackster

Steve

Like others said, get her to listen to the better speakers. Try to sample a dvd or cd that you have and listen to it before you go to a store, take it with you too. I got my girlfriend to agree to upgrading by getting her to listen to the speakers I had selected.

I started out real cheap, $250 or so. Next step was $500 for 5.1 with a sub I still use. Then it gets interesting. I got a set of Polk Lsi15s for the fronts at a killer price of $399 for the pair. I have a Polk LsiC coming for $356.95. Rears are going to hurt though. I want the Polk LsiFX and the best price I've found is $660.91. I'll probably have about $1800 in speakers. That's at the prices I paid, the Lsi15s go for anywhere from $650 to $900 each normally.

I really liked my Hsu set-up but just got the bug to go bigger and better. Something you might want to take a look at:
For $1099 plus shipping: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/enthusiast2.html

Last edited by SteveB; 02-05-08 at 12:44 AM.