How much did your speaker system cost? - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 334 Old 06-23-08, 05:11 PM
Banned!

Re: How much did your speaker system cost?

Quote:
frosti7 wrote: View Post
Just try to explain to her logically, that spending 1k on a system is the same as taking 1k and throwing it away,
while spending alittle more would give you the benefits of value, investment, fun, listening experience, enjoyment....
Alright Frosti7,

For starters, welcome to the shack.

For second, don't let me ruin your welcome, but I'm going to have to take issue with your recent posts. Can't help but notice that you've hit several threads, and in almost every case, you've advocated spending more money as a cure-all.

I have to say, blindly spending more money is one of the least effective was t get more out of yousystem. Contrary to what you state above, $1k will get you a very nice system, one that, when correctly set-up, will sound better than poorly set-up Dalis.

Are better engineered speakers usually more expensive then poorly engineered speakers...yeah you bet. And then there are some poorly engineered speakers that cost an arm and a leg (glass speakers anyone?).

Step into my room, close your eyes, and tell me how much everything costs: http://realht.info/about_me.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 334 Old 06-24-08, 09:59 PM
Michael

Total for my 5-channel Polk LSi system (LSi 15, C and 7's) $1500 all purchased used.

Total for my 2 SVS subs (purchased used) $750

Not counting my source, amp and preamp at about $2,300. Sounds great and highly recommended.

Michael
post #83 of 334 Old 06-25-08, 09:33 AM
Shackster
Frosti7

Quote:
eugovector wrote: View Post
Alright Frosti7,

For starters, welcome to the shack.

For second, don't let me ruin your welcome, but I'm going to have to take issue with your recent posts. Can't help but notice that you've hit several threads, and in almost every case, you've advocated spending more money as a cure-all.

I have to say, blindly spending more money is one of the least effective was t get more out of yousystem. Contrary to what you state above, $1k will get you a very nice system, one that, when correctly set-up, will sound better than poorly set-up Dalis.

Are better engineered speakers usually more expensive then poorly engineered speakers...yeah you bet. And then there are some poorly engineered speakers that cost an arm and a leg (glass speakers anyone?).

Step into my room, close your eyes, and tell me how much everything costs: http://realht.info/about_me.html
Thanks for the welcome
Buying the most expensive items isnt smarter then buying the cheapest.

What i was trying to explain is that buying the cheapest stuff would be much worse of investment then spending more on quality products,

This is the argument that i'd advise to hyghwayman, no matter if he wants to convince his wife to spend 100$ instead of 1$, or 1k instead of 500.

post #84 of 334 Old 06-25-08, 10:52 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
hyghwayman wrote: View Post

I'm going to up grade my speakers very soon to the SBS-01 5.1 system, which should compaired to my current set-up.
Don, Have you received them yet? This is going to be a fantastic improvement over what you had!

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #85 of 334 Old 06-26-08, 12:19 AM
Elite Shackster
Steven

I can't but barely keep track of what I payed for all of it. All of my amplifiers were from ebay and I got some good deals on each of the speakers as well.

Here is the MSRP of what I can more easily calculate close to.

Speakers - $5578.00

Amplification - $2,800.00

post #86 of 334 Old 06-26-08, 04:45 AM
Shackster
Matt

AV123 X-SLS B-stock- $135
AV123 X-CS B-stock- $110
BIC Acoustech surrounds- $175ish
2x HSU VTF 3.2- $900

HK 330 AVR used- $225
Pionner DV-588s DVD/SACD player- $175
3x Emotiva BPA-1- $375
SMS-1 used- $350
post #87 of 334 Old 07-07-08, 08:52 PM
Shackster
Sheldon

Fronts Jamo S606 $450
Center Jamo c60 $190
Surrounds S602 $100
Receiver Onkyo TX-SR606 $400
DVD Pioneer DV-400 $80
Remote Harmony 520 $60
post #88 of 334 Old 07-08-08, 02:35 PM
superchad

I just upgraded to the new Neo panels for the midrange on my VMPS, add $1400 for all 12 drivers.
post #89 of 334 Old 07-09-08, 02:20 AM
VanDaRo
Inactive

EugoVector,

My speakers (Martin Logan mains and subwoofer) come in at around 7K these days. But that isn't to say that this is the best sounding 2 channel rig that I've ever heard. But it is better than 99% of the other systems that I've heard out there.

In my experience, the DIYers and reverse engineerers are to be commended, but usually don't have a sound that is truly coherent and unfatigueing from bottom to top. Well researched and auditioned money is ALWAYS better than a back-yard mechanic with an oscilloscope.

~VDR
post #90 of 334 Old 07-09-08, 11:35 AM
Elite Shackster

Dr Doan

Hi Matt, you might want to post in the new members area so we can say "hello". Have fun, Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
IT'S THE NERVE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
: