Boston Acoustics VR1 worth upgrade to VR3? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 02-28-08, 01:14 PM
alavochin
Inactive

Boston Acoustics VR1 worth upgrade to VR3?

So about 6 months ago I purchased Boston Acoustics VR1 speakers as my mains since they were on sale. Now I've been doing reading and everyone just talks about how great VR2 and VR3 speakers are, but nothing about VR1 speakers. Is it really worth upgrading for me to VR2 or VR3 speakers?

Here is my current setup... VR1 mains, VR10 center, and plan on upgrading my surround CR67s to VRXs. Currently I live in an apartment so I can't have a sub, but will be purchasing a house and defiantly get a sub.

Is it really worth it for me to upgrade the VR1's? I've read that they are better for mids since they have 2 speakers dedicated for that purpose and the only advantage I see on the VR2 and VR3 is that they have 2 subwoofers for better bass. If I have a dedicated sub woofer, is that really necessary?

I probably watch movies and listen to music equally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-28-08, 10:33 PM
Shackster
Tom

Re: Boston Acoustics VR1 worth upgrade to VR3?

While the VR1s are a good speaker for the money, the difference between the VR1s and VR3s is substantially noticeable. When researching for my VR3s, I started listening to all three of these and each step up in model number improved the soundstage, clarity and stability at higher volumes.

I felt the price difference between the VR2s and VR3s was small enough to save up a bit more for the VR3s. The VR3s also were clearly more accurate for two channel listening, IMO.

I would do some critical listening between the VR1s and others if you do consider it, but I would suggest jumping up to the VR3s if you're going stay with BAs for your mains. Also a consideration, you'll likely need to upgrade to a larger center such as a VR920, VRC or VR12 if stepping up to the VR2s or VR3s, the VR10 will likely struggle to keep pace with the others. I'm currently using a VR10 myself in my secondary setup and it's a solid center, but because of its size restrictions, it can only do so much.

Lastly, even with a bit more capable mains, I would strongly suggest incorporating a decent subwoofer for music as well as movies when you do move into a larger location. Don't skimp on the sub and save if you need to, it will be one of the biggest bangs for the buck in your system and you'll be kicking yourself shortly down the road if you don't... -TD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 20 Old 02-28-08, 11:24 PM
alavochin
Inactive

Thanks for the advice!

I don't really know if the center speaker is completly accurate. From what I've been reading everyone has been saying that the VR10 is much better than the VRC. So I would to find a VR12 for a center, but I hear those are monsters.

Also, any idea why I cant find any place that still sells VR3 speakers? Did BA just stop selling anything bigger than micro size?

post #4 of 20 Old 02-29-08, 09:06 AM
Shackster
Tom

You're welcome, glad to help!

While I don't doubt the VR10 being quite capable, like I mentioned, I own one and I'm quite pleased with it's performance based on it's size. Nevertheless, I can't see it keeping up with the VRC at higher volumes or in a larger setting.

The VR12 is a large center, so if size is an issue for you, you may need to keep the VR10 or look for a VR920, which is a step up from the VR10 and is larger width-wise, but has a lower profile compared to the VR12. There's a slight performance trade-off w/the VR920 as opposed to the VR12, but it's a solid center, too.

I believe BA stopped production of the VR series or has limited it drastically due to their newer product releases. I'm not terribly pleased with their focus on their Horizon series which is focused more on home decor integration. Their new E series speakers are impressive which I believe is a combination of their VR and VR-M lines with new styling, though they're quite expensive.

BestBuy Magnolia used to carry the VR line, so if there's one local to you, you may want to check that out. Online, I believe Audio Advisor still carries a few VR models. Other than that, eBay or AudiogoN is your best bet, plus you'll likely find a good deal if they're used but in good condition... -TD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-29-08, 09:38 AM
alavochin
Inactive

Since it's almost impossible to get my hands on the BA setup I would like. Is there another speaker setup that is a really good bang for the buck like the VR3 + VR12 + VRX setup?

I've got an Onkyo SR605, do you know if that will handle the above setup without any issues (in case I do find what I'm looking for).
post #6 of 20 Old 02-29-08, 10:29 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

I have the VR3's and center its a VR920 and I made a center out of a VR2, I also had a VRC and I sold it because it didn't have the output of my 920 at higher volumes, I guess you now that the VR1 its a two way and the VR3 its a 3 way and it plays at lower frequencies, I can use my VR3's without the sub and they do a really good job.
if you are going to build a room later for your system I definitely buy the bigger towers for now and add the sub later
Another speaker that you want to check out is the svs SCS-01 http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-scs01.cfm

post #7 of 20 Old 03-01-08, 06:06 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

I have VR3s for mains with a VR1 as a center and a pair of VR1s as side surrounds. If you are able to locate some VR3s, and you REALLY need another opinion and can't audition for yourself, I guess I could do some listening, though your opinion is what counts, not mine. I can tell you right of the bat that with a dedicated midrange driver, two 7" woofers, a larger cabinet, and a taller enclosure (putting the tweeter closer to ear height), the VR3s have all the advantages on paper.

If you do get VR3s, keep a VR1 for use as a center, it'll do much better than any horizontal channel. Also, I would save the money you are thinking of spending on the surrounds upgrade and put it towards the mains or a subwoofer. Upgrading surrounds from a small bookshelf speakers to the VRX shouldn't really accomplish anything.

post #8 of 20 Old 03-01-08, 11:10 AM
alavochin
Inactive

Thanks, you guys are awesome.

I should probably try to find a pair of VR3's asap since they dont sell them anymore. I should have just done better research when buying my VR1s, ughh always something that comes and bites you in the butt later.

So a VR1 as a center would even do a better job than a VR12? I would probably have to place it sideways and it would look funky.

I did look at the 7.1 svs SCS-01 and those are really well priced, so would that setup compair to VR3 mains, VR1 center, and 4 CR67s surrounds? I'm asking since it's priced way cheaper than a the above BA setup.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-01-08, 09:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

The whole point is not to place the center channel horizontally. A third speaker identical to your mains is the ideal center channel - in my case 40" would have been just a bit too tall and the VR3 is a bit too deep too, so I opted for the VR1 as my center channel.

post #10 of 20 Old 03-02-08, 09:45 PM
alavochin
Inactive

Well in that case I will just try to find a VR12 since I dont have room to have a speaker standing as high as a VR1 in front of my TV.

Want to sell your VR3 speakers?