Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Audio Speakers (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/)
-   -   Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 system (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/60791-definitive-technology-procinema-1000-system.html)

Jules Winnfield 08-13-12 10:30 PM

Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 system
 

1 ProCenter 2000
4 ProMonitor 1000's
1 ProSub 1000

Anybody have any experience with this particular system?

wgmontgomery 08-15-12 09:13 PM

Re: Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 system
 

I installed A LOT of these a while back.

In general, it is a great HT system for a small/mid sized room. If you have a large room, I would recommend getting a larger subwoofer. The Prosub 1000 is nice and is pretty clean/tight if not pushed too hard, but it will not fill a large room with deep bass.

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for in an answer; do you have any specific questions?

Jules Winnfield 08-15-12 09:48 PM

Quote:

wgmontgomery wrote:
I installed A LOT of these a while back.

In general, it is a great HT system for a small/mid sized room. If you have a large room, I would recommend getting a larger subwoofer. The Prosub 1000 is nice and is pretty clean/tight if not pushed too hard, but it will not fill a large room with deep bass.

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for in an answer; do you have any specific questions?

Do you think it is worth upgrading from the ProCenter 1000 to the ProCenter 2000? I've demoed the 1000 at BB and was impressed by the quality of sound while being powered by a receiver comparable to mine (90 watts per ch).

wgmontgomery 08-15-12 10:09 PM

Re: Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 system
 

Quote:

Jules Winnfield wrote: (Post 541267)
Do you think it is worth upgrading from the ProCenter 1000 to the ProCenter 2000? I've demoed the 1000 at BB and was impressed by the quality of sound while being powered by a receiver comparable to mine (90 watts per ch).

I would have to know your budget, but if you are happy with the 1000, then stick with it. I would put the money toward a bigger sub. HOWEVER, the center channel is very important to HT; upgrading the center will (almost) always improve SQ.

I know that I have given you two different answers, but -again- I don't know your budget, room size or listening habits. I promise that I'm not trying to confuse you. :innocent:

If you listen to rap, hard rock, organ or any bass heavy music in a large room at loud volume, then go for a bigger sub. If you only watch romantic comedies and listen to lite jazz at "lowish" volume in a small/mid-sized room, the center channel upgrade may be a better option. :scratch:

I doubt that you would regret either upgrade; both will make a difference. It just depends on your needs. :bigsmile:

Jules Winnfield 08-15-12 10:24 PM

Quote:

wgmontgomery wrote:

I would have to know your budget, but if you are happy with the 1000, then stick with it. I would put the money toward a bigger sub. HOWEVER, the center channel is very important to HT; upgrading the center will (almost) always improve SQ.

I know that I have given you two different answers, but -again- I don't know your budget, room size or listening habits. If you listen to rap, hard rock, organ or any bass heavy music in a large room at loud volume, then go for a bigger sub. If you only watch romantic comedies and listen to lite jazz, the center channel upgrade may be a better option. :scratch:

I am willing to spend up to $2300. I'm primarily a movie watcher with no real interest in listening to music. As far as movies go, I tend to watch films that fall into the drama, thriller and action genres.

By the way, the reason why I haven't demoed the ProCenter 2000 is because for some reason BB doesn't carry it. I'm wondering if I would be able to appreciate the upgrade in the center with my current receiver's wattage rating.

I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know the exact measurements of my living room but I would venture to say it falls into the small/medium category.

wgmontgomery 08-16-12 09:36 AM

Re: Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 system
 

Here is the manual for the Procenter 1000 and 2000; the 2000 is slightly more efficient (more volume with less power), has larger mids/woofers and better bass response. Your AVR's power rating shouldn't really matter in this case.

Upgrading the center is a great way to improve HT as it improves the clarity of the dialog on screen. The center channel is one of the most important speakers in a HT set-up. I'd still try to wrangle a bigger sub into the system if it's possible; you will not regret it. Many may disagree with this statement, but when it comes to movies, the center and sub may be THE most important speakers in your system.

If you can only upgrade one, you could always do the center now and add a second subwoofer later. :spend: :hsd:

GoNoles 08-16-12 10:06 AM

Re: Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 system
 

I had a procenter 1000, then upgraded to a 2000. Had the monitor 1000's as well. My only compaint, and Def Tech will recommend this, is crossing the center around 90 and the fronts around 100hz. This localizes the sub more. I also like my movies to be cranked, so I finally gave in and bought a big Klipsch center with 6.5" woofers and the towers with dual 8's. Big difference, but also big price difference.

IMO, the 5.25 woofers sound great, but the system lacked in the midbass area (all of this was coupled with a kilpsch sub 12). Great for it's price, but it left me wanting more.

I wouldnt trade me Klipsch stuff, been real happy.

To answer a later question, Id def recommend the center 2000 over the 1000.

GoNoles 08-16-12 10:26 AM

Re: Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 system
 

For the budget, and just going off my experience, here is an option (keep in mind their are tons of options for $2300)

Fronts - Klipsch RF-62II towers $1000 for pair from auth dealer
Center - Klipsch RC-52 II $350
Rears - Klipsch RB-51 II $420 pair
Sub - Hsu VTF2 MK4 $580 shipped

Lot more fire power there, and it may be a little over your budget, but as someone who owned the Def Tech speakers, and then swapped to Klipsch Ref II, it's the best I can recommend from my experience.

Jules Winnfield 08-16-12 11:06 AM

Quote:

GoNoles wrote:
For the budget, and just going off my experience, here is an option (keep in mind their are tons of options for $2300)

Fronts - Klipsch RF-62II towers $1000 for pair from auth dealer
Center - Klipsch RC-52 II $350
Rears - Klipsch RB-51 II $420 pair
Sub - Hsu VTF2 MK4 $580 shipped

Lot more fire power there, and it may be a little over your budget, but as someone who owned the Def Tech speakers, and then swapped to Klipsch Ref II, it's the best I can recommend from my experience.

Thanks for the recommendation.... I'll have to look into the Klipsch before I make the big decision.

GoNoles 08-16-12 01:04 PM

Re: Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 system
 

The horns took a little while to get used to, but the reference series line now are not as bright as older models, which people made the "fatiguing" comment. They are extremely efficient so you don't need a lot of power to drive them, and I love the way they sound for both music and movie blu-rays. It's took me a couple of weeks to get used tot he change from the dome tweeters to the horns.

Just being able to cross the fronts and center at 80hz, instead of higher helped a low. With the 1000 monitors needing to be crossed higher, there were a few times a week where deep voices from certain tv shows where droning from the sub, and thats kinda annoying. The 1000's can be crossed at 80hz, but I was not happy with their performance, they tended to want to dance a bit on their 3 legged base, and rattled. I then bought the def tech stands, made for the pro monitors (speaker actually mounts to stand with screws) and it was much better, but I still dont feel those 5.25" woofers handle 80hz bass well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright ©2006 - 2019, Home Theater Shack, LLC.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome