Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Audio Speakers (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/)
-   -   Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C Powered Home Theater Loudspeaker Discussion Thread (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/72109-seaton-sound-catalyst-8c-powered-home-theater-loudspeaker-discussion-thread.html)

AudiocRaver 12-31-13 02:36 AM

Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C Powered Home Theater Loudspeaker Discussion Thread

291 Attachment(s)
Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C Powered Home Theater Loudspeaker Discussion Thread

by Wayne Myers
AudiocRaver

Available by direct order from
Seaton Sound.
Price: $2595.00 each.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/gall...hp?n=13546&w=s

Introduction

This review covers a loudspeaker and a person. The loudspeaker is the Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C, and the person is Mark Seaton, its designer and President of Seaton Sound. Why cover both? Because Seaton the man is a logical extension of Seaton the speaker. You could choose to order a set of Catalyst 8C's or the larger 12C's or a SubMersive subwoofer or two or three, plan out your installation, pay your bill, have them delivered, install and fine-tune the system yourself and elect to receive no assistance from Mark Seaton beyond taking your order and your money and shipping it to the correct address when it is ready. But you would quickly find that Mark is interested in delighting customers, not just selling speakers. His passion and expertise in nearly every aspect of home theater and audio technology are likely to infect your project and convince you to include him as an adviser on troublesome issues at least, and potentially as your final installer and audio problem troubleshooter, roles in which he truly excels.

I was introduced to Mark at the recent $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event at Sonnie Parker's Cedar Creek Cinema (owner of HomeTheaterShack.com), his personal home theater in southern Alabama. Mark drove five of his Catalyst 8C's from Illinois to Alabama for the evaluators to use during several evening cinema sessions.

We spent two days with Mark and his speakers. It was a full-immersion introduction to both, an experience I enjoyed and would recommend to anyone considering a high-impact home theater audio system.

Conclusions

I see the Catalyst 8C's as a good choice for the home theater enthusiast who values well-defined, clear, tight, impactful sound at high volumes, and appreciates the value of a compact package with well-matched DSP-tailored power amplification on board. The refinement of a room-tuning tool will probably be preferred by most. Two-channel use is not out of the question with room correction applied or - for the more adventuresome - an off-axis setup can provide a wide, deep soundstage with laser-sharp imaging. Definitely think in terms of a setup or installation that will not move around - they are heavy. And they are not budget speakers, although you are getting a kilowatt of power and precision active crossovers all on-board. And probably some expert assistance from Mark Seaton himself.

This thread is open for discussion about the Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C Powered Home Theater Loudspeakers and the Review of them.

Read the full review HERE.

jtalden 12-31-13 09:04 AM

Re: Seaton Sound Catalyst 8C Powered Home Theater Loudspeaker Discussion Thread

What a great review of both the speakers and the designer.
It highlights the balance of speaker design considerations and the importance of setup expertise. It strikes me that customers with the means to have a Seaton system installed in their HT are likely to end up with the best sonic results that can be obtained given the constraints of the space itself. I would think, given the complexities involved, this is a rare situation.

Savjac 12-31-13 09:35 AM

A very excellent review about what is apparently a very excellent product. Thank You Gentlemen !!

skeeter99 12-31-13 09:48 AM

Great review guys! I've not heard any of the Catalyst line but have heard the Submersives on multiple occasions and have known Mark for many years now. I'll definitely echo the comments about him as a person. Someday I'd love to hear and own his gear, for now I will live vicariously through those who do and enjoy hanging out with MS whenever our paths cross at events and after event parties.

Thanks HTS for taking the time to do the review as well as Mark for participating and making the drive. Hopefully it didn't cut into skiing too much :D

Scott

dougc 12-31-13 10:51 AM

I have heard the JTR 212, 228, and Orbit Shifter, so now the next on my bucket list is to hear Seaton's amazing designs. The two companies are both highly regarded as the tip of the spear for super high-output HT systems, but Seaton seems to be the more highly refined of the two. If I had the money, (how many millions of times have I uttered this?) I would spend it on something that Wayne described above. It's obvious that some of the best boutique products are created by hobbiests that spare no expense nor time to provide the best product without wasting money and space. Then they grow into great commercial products that are highly regarded as Seaton's are. I think that it's great that he takes time to chime in on discussions on forums and make trips across the US to share his product and knowledge with enthusiasts.

AudiocRaver 12-31-13 11:05 AM

291 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the feedback. It was a pleasure working with Mark (and learning from him), and spreading the word about his products and expertise.

K1LL3M 12-31-13 05:47 PM

I have just finished reading the review and wanted to say thanks for the detailed write up and the work that obviously went in to it to put it together. So thanks Wayne, and thanks to the other guys for the additional comments. It was an enjoyable read.

I am one of the lucky individuals that will get to own a full Seaton setup and am currently just waiting for them to arrive. I previously owned and was suitably impressed with a couple of submersives (4xF2s now coming) and with many well regarded reviews on the Speakers and knowledgeable conversations with Mark Seaton, am well sold on the the Catalyst Speaker System; that I now await.

Being an international customer, Mark's personal setup experience is not quite an option (although it would certainly be welcome). Experience demonstrates that Mark does make himself available via phone, for which he will spend as much time as needed, availing you of his wealth of knowledge (a few personal lengthy conversations there). In conjunction with the support offered on his forum, it is the next best thing for his international customers.

dougc 12-31-13 10:06 PM

Wow, Paul, I bet you are on the edge of your seat awaiting some great new gear to bring in the new year.

I forgot to add that I also noticed that Wayne's review is stellar. You painted a great picture of the Catalyst and the man.

AudiocRaver 12-31-13 11:44 PM

291 Attachment(s)
Quote:

K1LL3M wrote: (Post 666122)
I have just finished reading the review and wanted to say thanks for the detailed write up and the work that obviously went in to it to put it together. So thanks Wayne, and thanks to the other guys for the additional comments. It was an enjoyable read.

I am one of the lucky individuals that will get to own a full Seaton setup and am currently just waiting for them to arrive. I previously owned and was suitably impressed with a couple of submersives (4xF2s now coming) and with many well regarded reviews on the Speakers and knowledgeable conversations with Mark Seaton, am well sold on the the Catalyst Speaker System; that I now await.

Being an international customer, Mark's personal setup experience is not quite an option (although it would certainly be welcome). Experience demonstrates that Mark does make himself available via phone, for which he will spend as much time as needed, availing you of his wealth of knowledge (a few personal lengthy conversations there). In conjunction with the support offered on his forum, it is the next best thing for his international customers.

Congrats to you, Paul, and to Joe (almfamily), both recent purchasers of Catalyst products. Mark and his designs are one of a kind, for sure. It is pretty much unimaginable that a properly set up Seaton system could deliver anything less than top-tier performance. Paul (Joe already knows this), you are in for a real treat! Enjoy!

Dwight Angus 01-01-14 08:20 AM

Thanks to Wayne & others for a very detailed & thoughtful review. I am now considering the C8's as a candidate for my next speaker upgrade. My HT is 3200 cf. Can someone tell me if the C8's are suitable or should I be looking at a different model?