Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Audio Speakers (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/)
-   -   MartinLogan Montis and StageX Loudspeaker Review Discussion Thread (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/73172-martinlogan-montis-stagex-loudspeaker-review-discussion-thread.html)

green giant 05-27-14 08:13 PM

Re: MartinLogan Montis and StageX Loudspeaker Review Discussion Thread

Basic question - can these play Rock and Hard Rock well.

I've always liked the sound of 'Stats, yet I've never really had the time to pop in some AC/DC, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Van Halen... and let it rip.

I've heard electrostats aren't great for this, but there are a couple reviews that say these do much better for hard rock.

Would love your guys opinion.

AudiocRaver 05-28-14 09:52 AM

291 Attachment(s)
Key for MartinLogan is the hybrid design with a cone driver handling low frequencies so the max excursions of the panel remain very small. We rocked out quite a bit with the Montis and they never complained. We have heard other all-panel speakers "fuzz out" on heavier bass notes, but never the MatrinLogans. That is one of the main qualities I like so much about them.

sandeep_ML 02-20-16 02:26 AM

I have a question. Just booked a Montis and Stage-X to replace my Paradigm Studio 100. For HT playing , would you set the Front L/R cross over frequency in AV Receiver to 40hz or more. I have a paradigm Sub 15 which goes low up to 34hz. For stereo playback, i use stereo integrated amp and the speakers will run at full range as expected.

Sonnie 08-05-16 01:24 AM

Still one of my most favorite reviews... astounding job Wayne!

Considering the Impression 11A's now. :bigsmile:

Tonto 08-05-16 03:11 PM

Those read as pretty impressive also. I'm sure Wayne could manage some time to eval those as well!

Sonnie 08-05-16 05:49 PM

Trying to get a pair now... I think there is another GTG brewing really soon!

New Arx 5's... new ML's... sweet to the ears! Review time!

Tonto 08-05-16 07:24 PM

Now that's what I'd call stirring the pot! Looking forward to seeing how the new players hold up!

I wonder if ML ever considered smaller electrostatic panels for Dolby Atmos application. Small, maybe like 24' X 8." Could mount them close to the ceiling & that curved panel would probably be great with dispersion. They would weigh practically nothing!

bkeeler10 08-06-16 02:10 PM

I hope there will be a thread opened up about this GTG if it happens :) Would love to hear how the A5 stacks upto the mighty ML and all the other speakers y'all have heard in the CCC since the original A5. Seriously considering the upcoming L7 when it hits

Tonto 08-06-16 04:08 PM

I wouldn't expect the A5 to keep up with the ML. That is just a different class of speaker. I originally intended to get the L7 set, but they were taking longer to develop. I had the money during the A5rxc's group buy & I new they sounded great, so I went for them. And they are sweet.

The A7 however should be able to hold its own. Jon says he expects if to be "really something special that he has always wanted to put his name on." I think he wants it to be his statement piece. As good as Jon is at building/designing speakers...I'm really looking forward to them as well.

It's funny how everybody in that 1st eval has wound up with a pair of them! Truly great speakers for the dollars that Jon charges.

bkeeler10 08-06-16 05:14 PM

Yes of course it would be unreasonable to think that the $10k pair of speakers wouldn't be a better performer than the <$1k pair. Plus they're very different technologies. Still, comparisons are always interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the L7 turns out though.