Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Audio Speakers (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/)
-   -   Maybe it's me, but these things are terrific! (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/74327-maybe-its-me-but-these-things-terrific.html)

arkiedan 04-12-14 02:39 PM

Maybe it's me, but these things are terrific!

Are you kidding me? These things sound great! :D

After reading and re-reading the $1,000 speaker evaluation several months ago I decided to sell my Ascend Sierras and try the Martin Logan Motion 12s and evaluate them against the Arx A5s. My problem was, the Motion 12s were discontinued and the Arx A5s are being revised and will be released in "late spring." Since my Sierras were gone, and I'm left with sitting here in the media room with nothing but my old AR93s (speakers I lived with and enjoyed for several years.) I need to DO SOMETHING! :hissyfit:

Then, I don't know why, I went to Craig's List, a website I've deliberately avoided for years and there, way over in Huntsville, Alabama, I found a "New" pair of Logan Martins, stiil sealed in their original cartons, for only $400 the pair!!!! Well, Fortunately, I emailed the guy who confirmed the price and that they were new.

I turned to my wife and said, "By golly, we deserve a couple days vacation (understand, we're retired) and she quickly replied, "You bet! I'd love to get away for a couple days!"

I then added, "Great! We'll drive six hours (each way) to Huntsville, Alabama, and buy some speakers!"

Since my media room is MINE, and her playroom is HERS, she immediately said, "Buy speakers? ARE YOU CRAZY? You've got speakers!" :rant:

Being a crafty sort, I knew I was going to have a hard sell here, so I quickly added, "Then we can go down to Atlanta to visit some friends." And she bit!!!

And so we drove to Huntsville, bought the ML Motion 12s from a terrific, upright guy, loaded them in the back of the Tucson, and headed down to Atlanta for a couple great days mooching off some terrific and understanding friends.

Four days later I'm back home in Arkansas, spending an entire day listening to and carefully moving these ML Motion 12s around my media room.

Now, here I am, listening and loving these Motion 12s, which are far out into the room, their baffles a full 50" from the from wall, and they sound fantastic! Like I said a long time ago, I've read and re-read the $1,000 speaker evaluation and didn't really believe their best and final position. I'm a believer now, and I'll happily live with these bad boys sitting far out into the room. The soundstage and imaging improved with each move. Of course, my wife thinks I've gone mad, what with two floorstanders sitting in the middle of the room. My response is, "Tough! If you're ready to let me re-arranging your play room we can move the speakers back against the wall."

The bottom-line is, I don't think I'll pickup a pair of Arx A5s when they are in stock (???????). I'm sitting here now, typing this nonsense, and the Motion 12s are SINGING! " Like I heard on a TV commercial a while ago, "It don't get no better than this!" :unbelievable::unbelievable:

Thanks to Sonnie and the other evaluators. I wouldn't be enjoying these terrific speakers had I not discovered HTS!

So, when is the new Arx A5 gonna hit the market????? I can't wait! :D

old arkiedan

tonyvdb 04-12-14 02:47 PM

Re: Maybe it's me, but these things are terrific!

$400 for the pair? thats a great deal!

Sounds like that was a great trip for you and the wife :)

ellisr63 04-12-14 03:15 PM

If you want a center channel there is one on eBay right now... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Logan...item4ad368a039

arkiedan 04-12-14 03:31 PM

Thanks Ron,

I'm currently hiding in the bushes on the bay right now, watching a ML Motion 8. Can't use a 12 for center.

Thanks, old arkiedan

arkiedan 04-12-14 03:39 PM

Quote:

tonyvdb wrote: (Post 696167)
$400 for the pair? thats a great deal!

Sounds like that was a great trip for you and the wife :)

Yeah, she was happy about the trip for.....what......a couple hours. Now she's saying, "Those speakers look STUPID out in the room. And, by the way, when are we going on a real vacation???"

Wives????? Go figure.

old arkiedan

lcaillo 04-12-14 04:28 PM

Why do you want the Arx now that you have these. I own and love the Arx 5 but the MLs were so close I could easily be happy with them. I wish I had a room to get them placed properly in. You are lucky if you have one where you can.

arkiedan 04-12-14 04:43 PM

Quote:

lcaillo wrote: (Post 696181)
Why do you want the Arx now that you have these. I own and love the Arx 5 but the MLs were so close I could easily be happy with them. I wish I had a room to get them placed properly in. You are lucky if you have one where you can.

Hmmmm...................To tell the truth I'm not sure I want the Arx A5s. Yeah, I am happy with MLs, in fact I'm going to pickup an ML Motion 8 from eBay.

Still..............................maybe those A5s could add just a little???????????????????????/

Naaaahhhhh...................... I'm betting I'll stay with these.

old arkiedan

Greenster 04-12-14 05:37 PM

Sounds like you got a killer deal on the motion 12's. I think that if you love the sound of them and already have them. Why would you switch? Now it's time to sit back and enjoy.

arkiedan 04-13-14 02:27 PM

You're all right. I'm sitting here listening to string quartet and THEY'RE RIGHT HERE IN THE ROOM! I don't mean the ML 12s are here....I mean the players are here!

The chase is over, even before it started. I'm poised to grab an ML 8 center on eBay, certainly and sadly not the deal I got on the 12s but a good deal in any case. A big thanks to you guys for grabbiong my shoulders and shaking me back to reality.

By the way, funny how these 12s are exposing so many lousy recordings. This rarely occurs in classical music but way too many old rock recordings are terrible! There's Clapton LOCKED to the center, Jack Bruce's bass frozen to the right speaker and (I really love this guy) Ginger Baker's drums stuck over there on the left. Those producers and engineers really think the can do it better. ??????? Are you kidding me?

Enough of this! Here's to good sound!

:olddude: old arkiedan :olddude:

Tonto 04-13-14 02:50 PM

Nice to hear your lovin the 12's! Now you know what we were hearing. Fabulous speakers that are worth every penny.

The A-5's? I think that 5 stands for a nickel though!!! :T