Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Audio Speakers (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/)
-   -   How much did your speaker system cost? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-speakers/8930-how-much-did-your-speaker-system-cost.html)

hyghwayman 01-27-08 02:44 PM

How much did your speaker system cost?

My reason for asking this question is that my wife thinks I've lost my mind :scared: wanting to spend 1k for a 5.1 system from SVS (SVS SBS-01 5.1 system). I've been trying to up-grade from a HTiB Curtis speaker system 40w (one speaker per speaker) and a 40w powered sub for two (2) years now:help:.
She also thinks there is no way a 1k speaker system will sound any different than say a $500.oo or even a $300.oo one :gah:. So if I could get some data and personal feedback from HTS members :hail: to show my wife just how little I'm wanting to spend to get good sound, maybe she'll understand and then again maybe not.

Thanks to all the reply,
hyghwayman

P.S. Sorry about the double post!

yourgrandma 01-27-08 03:03 PM

Re: How much did your speaker system cost?

Take her to a store to hear the difference. A thousand dollars is'n a whole lot to spend on a 5.1 speaker setup, and the gains at that price level for spending a little more are very large. Doubling your budget from 500 to 1000 does more than from 2000 to 4000, and way more than 2000 to 2500.

To answer the main question, I lost track of how much i have into my speaker system, but lets just say it's around 2k plus the sub, so $3000.

atledreier 01-27-08 03:42 PM

I have no idea what the price would be in the states, but I've paid the equivalent of $30.000 for my speakers. So no, you're not crazy. I am! :p

Funkmonkey 01-27-08 04:08 PM

I started out thinking that i would spend $1G for a 5.1 system, and then I listened to some speakers, and I realized that to get the sound I want I am going to have to spend a whole lot more. As of now, I am still auditioning speakers and am looking at spending up to $2000 for nice set of fronts. With the idea that later on I will be adding a center, sub and surrounds. I came to this approach by evaluating my listening habits. I like to listen to a good amount of stereo music, so that became paramount for me. Adding the other channels will be a bonus for movies, and I can use some speakers that I already own for surrounds until I get a matched set.
I have heard a lot of good things about the SBS-01 system.
Good luck, and you are actually quite reasonable in your budget.

nova 01-27-08 04:57 PM

Don't recall for sure,... but the round number is $7450 for my main system 5 speakers and a sub. And just to show the extent of the madness,... my computer 5.1 speakers were $1940, of course they didn't start off there, but that's where they ended after the last upgrade of the main system.

imbeaujp 01-27-08 05:21 PM

I think that my 2 sytems are now over 25k

mazersteven 01-27-08 08:26 PM

Your over here too. :unbelievable:

$5100

tonyvdb 01-27-08 09:05 PM

My main speakers were $1800, the 4 surrounds were $1300 and my sub was $1200. My wife says I spent too much but as I bought it all before we were married it doesn't matter. I would most likely not be able to spend that much now but she agrees that the system sounds great.

SLAYER 01-28-08 12:28 AM

H folks,
heres an idea, take her to the store to hear the diffeent systems then just tell her that you would need to spend 2 grand (retail) in order to come close to the svs quality at 1 measly grand.

hyghwayman 01-28-08 01:04 AM

Quote:

mazersteven wrote: (Post 76553)
Your over here too. :unbelievable:

$5100

:unbelievable: and so are you:rofl2:, I found the Shack when doing research on speakers:sneeky:!

hyghwayman